Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Lewis Taylor

Welcome Lewis Taylor

It's good to bring Lewis Taylor into the club as we farewell Zak Jones. They were both from the 2013 AFL draft and have roughly 100 games under their belt (Lewy a bit more, Zak a little less). They were both touted as high picks and, ultimately, we took Zak at 15 and the Lions took Taylor at 28 (which was considered a steal). It has been mentioned a number of times on RWO that Taylor was the 2014 Rising Star, ahead of Marcus Bontempelli, living up to his pre-draft hype (he had been captain of Vic Country). It seems the main knock on Lewy may have been his height (at about 173 cm, similar to Boomer Harvey who was a childhood idol of Taylor's).

Taylor has been valued for his leadership ability (evident in him being nominated captain of Vic Country) and faced criminal charges (for alleged vandalism in Mortlake in late 2015).

It's unclear what role the club sees for Taylor going forward. I have read that he has "elite endurance" but, also, conversely, that his tank is his weakness, limiting him to a small forward role, possibly pinch hitting in the midfield. One report says the Lions were planning to play him on a wing this season finished which suggests he must have pretty good endurance. I don't know where the truth lies but Swans media have claimed that we added depth to our midfield this trade period and Taylor was the only player we traded in, so perhaps that indicates the role they have discussed Taylor playing. I would think that, subject to him having a good pre-season, he will be in the starting 22 or else he probably wouldn't have agreed to come and we probably wouldn't have offered him a 3 year deal (no doubt on decent coin).

I add a couple of links to articles about Taylor:

Cal Twomey ranked him the 11th best player of his draft and said "Taylor is as good as any midfielders around him. He's a powerful, pacy accumulator, who is always busy at the stoppages, digging in or getting on the outside and bolting off. Taylor is a leader, he was captain of Vic Country this year and has captained most teams through his youth, and people warm to him. His height (174cm) will put some off but Taylor is a strong kick, adds dash and plays with enthusiasm." And here is a more in-depth preview with video interview and junior playing footage: Nine days to the draft: Meet gun prospect Lewis Taylor - AFL.com.au. Twomey mentions that the Swans might have been interested in Taylor and Taylor mentioned that he enjoyed working with Micky O and Tadhg Kennelly as coaches at the AIS. If he hadn't been taken at 28, I wonder if we would have taken him at 32 instead of George Hewett.

Article from the Lions celebrating Taylor's first 100 games last year: Lewy's road to 100 - lions.com.au

What expectations do you have for the role Taylor will play and how he will go? I confess I am hopeful but my expectations are low. He is definitely a worthwhile signing but doesn't seem an adequate replacement for Jones, although his role will be different and more more forward half than defensive half oriented I imagine.

I'm a fan of Lewy. Living in Brisbane, I've seen alot of him. He's energetic, fast and can conjure up a goal. Because of this, he was a fan favourite and is very generous in his time with fans, especially kids.

His main issue this year was being stuck behind some very good midfielders and 2 excellent smalls in Cameron and McCarthy. Certainly could question his NEAFL form and he would've done the job at AFL level had he been required.

When Zac Bailey was injured, the Lions tried him off half back with not much success so his initial role should be off half forward, rotating onto the wing.

I wonder if we got him as we really thought Paps was going and he was going to be a direct replacement? Despite this, I see plenty of room for both Paps and Lewy with Ronke struggling to hold down his spot. All up a good signing and I'm looking forward to seeing him suit up for us.

- - - Updated - - -

*could = couldn't

It seems we knew Papley was unlikely to go when we recruited Taylor (because we were poles apart from Essendon on Daniher and, it turns out, we weren't going to trade Papley unless we got Daniher). Clearly we were committed to recruiting Taylor independent of whether Papley left. So it looks like we're building depth in that position, perhaps preparing for a future departure of Papley. Also, Taylor is simply great value at the price we have paid. Papley and Taylor and Hayward can play in the same team but there won't be room for Ronke as well. Ronke will be depth for the time being I think.

Ralph, do you know why Taylor is called Squizzy?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It seems we knew Papley was unlikely to go when we recruited Taylor (because we were poles apart from Essendon on Daniher and, it turns out, we weren't going to trade Papley unless we got Daniher). Clearly we were committed to recruiting Taylor independent of whether Papley left. So it looks like we're building depth in that position, perhaps preparing for a future departure of Papley. Also, Taylor is simply great value at the price we have paid. Papley and Taylor and Hayward can play in the same team but there won't be room for Ronke as well. Ronke will be depth for the time being I think.

Ralph, do you know why Taylor is called Squizzy?
    Just about everyone with the surname of Taylor who comes from Victoria gets called Squizzy, after a Melbourne gangster Joseph "Squizzy" Taylor from the early 20th century.

Why was Joseph Taylor called Squizzy? I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Just about everyone with the surname of Taylor who comes from Victoria gets called Squizzy, after a Melbourne gangster Joseph "Squizzy" Taylor from the early 20th century.

Yeah I wouldn’t say just about everybody ... The original Squizzy was famously quite small , that is probably why Lewis got labeled with it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Dr J has the answer - all I really know is Squizzy was a gangster.

With my Brisbane cap on again, we could do far worse then to consider any of Nick Robertson, Josh Walker (as a KPD) and Ben Keays. Keays is an interesting prospect in that he's a big bodied mid / forward, pushed out of the side by a very good midfield / small forward setup. Still young and killed it in the NEAFL this year. None are likely to be stars but at the right price, potentially good depth players.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It's good to bring Lewis Taylor into the club as we farewell Zak Jones. They were both from the 2013 AFL draft and have roughly 100 games under their belt (Lewy a bit more, Zak a little less). They were both touted as high picks and, ultimately, we took Zak at 15 and the Lions took Taylor at 28 (which was considered a steal). It has been mentioned a number of times on RWO that Taylor was the 2014 Rising Star, ahead of Marcus Bontempelli, living up to his pre-draft hype (he had been captain of Vic Country). It seems the main knock on Lewy may have been his height (at about 173 cm, similar to Boomer Harvey who was a childhood idol of Taylor's).

Taylor has been valued for his leadership ability (evident in him being nominated captain of Vic Country) and faced criminal charges (for alleged vandalism in Mortlake in late 2015).

It's unclear what role the club sees for Taylor going forward. I have read that he has "elite endurance" but, also, conversely, that his tank is his weakness, limiting him to a small forward role, possibly pinch hitting in the midfield. One report says the Lions were planning to play him on a wing this season finished which suggests he must have pretty good endurance. I don't know where the truth lies but Swans media have claimed that we added depth to our midfield this trade period and Taylor was the only player we traded in, so perhaps that indicates the role they have discussed Taylor playing. I would think that, subject to him having a good pre-season, he will be in the starting 22 or else he probably wouldn't have agreed to come and we probably wouldn't have offered him a 3 year deal (no doubt on decent coin).

I add a couple of links to articles about Taylor:

Cal Twomey ranked him the 11th best player of his draft and said "Taylor is as good as any midfielders around him. He's a powerful, pacy accumulator, who is always busy at the stoppages, digging in or getting on the outside and bolting off. Taylor is a leader, he was captain of Vic Country this year and has captained most teams through his youth, and people warm to him. His height (174cm) will put some off but Taylor is a strong kick, adds dash and plays with enthusiasm." And here is a more in-depth preview with video interview and junior playing footage: Nine days to the draft: Meet gun prospect Lewis Taylor - AFL.com.au. Twomey mentions that the Swans might have been interested in Taylor and Taylor mentioned that he enjoyed working with Micky O and Tadhg Kennelly as coaches at the AIS. If he hadn't been taken at 28, I wonder if we would have taken him at 32 instead of George Hewett.

Article from the Lions celebrating Taylor's first 100 games last year: Lewy's road to 100 - lions.com.au

What expectations do you have for the role Taylor will play and how he will go? I confess I am hopeful but my expectations are low. He is definitely a worthwhile signing but doesn't seem an adequate replacement for Jones, although his role will be different and more more forward half than defensive half oriented I imagine.
    If he can live up to Twomey's description of him as a midfielder, he would be a big bonus alongside Kennedy, Hewitt, Parker etc with his outside speed.

Veterans List
    I think he is a great pick up. We know he has the talent, but clearly Brisbane was looking for different types. Who knows how a player gets out of favour. New club, new enthusiasm might just see him as one of the recruits of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'm a fan of Lewy. Living in Brisbane, I've seen alot of him. He's energetic, fast and can conjure up a goal. Because of this, he was a fan favourite and is very generous in his time with fans, especially kids.

His main issue this year was being stuck behind some very good midfielders and 2 excellent smalls in Cameron and McCarthy. Certainly could question his NEAFL form and he would've done the job at AFL level had he been required.

When Zac Bailey was injured, the Lions tried him off half back with not much success so his initial role should be off half forward, rotating onto the wing.

I wonder if we got him as we really thought Paps was going and he was going to be a direct replacement? Despite this, I see plenty of room for both Paps and Lewy with Ronke struggling to hold down his spot. All up a good signing and I'm looking forward to seeing him suit up for us.

- - - Updated - - -

*could = couldn't
    I'm also pleased with the signing of Taylor. Hopefully, it could see more time in the midfield for Papley; since his clearance work can be very pretty to watch. He often hits the contest at pace, and if he gets it right, gathers cleanly and moves away with hardly a finger being laid on him. Taylor should also be able to add a bit of zip to our clearances, as well.

Blog Entries

According to wikipedia: (Squizzy Taylor - Wikipedia)

"As a youth, Taylor became known by the nickname "Squizzy" because of an ulcerated, droopy left eyelid."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    According to wikipedia: (Squizzy Taylor - Wikipedia)

"As a youth, Taylor became known by the nickname "Squizzy" because of an ulcerated, droopy left eyelid."
    That'll do me. Sounds believable.

and I thought anyone named Taylor was in line to be called "Squizzy" because most tailors ended up with poor eyesight because if the nature of their work...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast