Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 for 2020

Dylan rates well at the combine testing

with his elite running, exit speeds over 20m and use of the footy...... i think he will be making hard to stop him being in our top 22 by mid season like Rowbottom achieved

PS Sam Flanders tested a lot better then i expected

All the top performers from each Draft Combine test - AFL.com.au

2km time trial results (min:sec)
    Jay Rantall 5:50 minutes
    Finn Maginness 5:51
    Dylan Stephens 6:01
    Louis Butler 6:09
    Hugo Ralphsmith 6:12
    Jeremy Sharp 6:12
    Connor Budarick 6:15
    Jai Jackson 6:15
    Will Martyn 6:16
    Ned Cahill 6:17
    Matt Rowell 6:17
    Noah Anderson 6:17
    Cooper Stephens 6:17
    Cian McBride 6:17

20m sprint (seconds)
    Sam Philp 2.867 seconds
    Ben Johnson 2.885
    Malcolm Rosas 2.924
    Mitch Georgiades 2.925
    Noah Cumberland 2.931
    Finn Maginness 2.957
    Harrison Jones 2.963
    Jeremy Sharp 2.966
    Brady Rowles 2.968
    Dylan Stephens 2.972

Agility (seconds)
    Hayden Young 7.940 seconds
    Elijah Taylor 8.005
    Thomson Dow 8.061
    Trent Rivers 8.100
    Oisin Gallen 8.197
    Chad Warner 8.203
    Sam Flanders 8.206
    Noah Cumberland 8.208
    Connor Budarick 8.242
    Dylan Stephens 8.245

Yo-Yo test (level)
    Jay Rantall 21.8 level
    Cooper Stephens 21.8
    Connor Budarick 21.6
    Chad Warner 21.6
    Oscar Lewis 21.5
    Sam Philp 21.5
    Lachlan Ash 21.4
    Harrison Jones 21.4
    Finn Maginness 21.4
    Trey Ruscoe 21.4
    Riley Baldi 21.3
    Sam Flanders 21.3
    Matt Rowell 21.3
    Jeremy Sharp 21.3
    Dylan Stephens 21.2 reported elsewhere
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 28th November 2019 at 07:18 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

B: Lloyd, Rampe, McCartin

HB: Mills, AA, Dawson

C: Florent, Kennedy, Rowbottom

HF: Hayward, Reid, Blakey

F: Heeney, Franklin, Papley

FOL: Parker, Naismith, Hewett

IC: Gray, Cunningham, Taylor, Stephens

i have put Stephens not for round 1 but more likely round 6 onwards and then will stay in the team a bit like Rowbottom

KBs comments re Dylan Stephens:

“We’re really pleased to get him, it goes without saying. We’ve watched Dylan for a couple of years,” he said.

“He’s played a lot of senior football at Norwood this year and played with distinction there. (13 games)

“He really compliments what we were hoping to add to our midfield.”

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

i have put Stephens not for round 1 but more likely round 6 onwards and then will stay in the team a bit like Rowbottom

KBs comments re Dylan Stephens:

“We’re really pleased to get him, it goes without saying. We’ve watched Dylan for a couple of years,” he said.

“He’s played a lot of senior football at Norwood this year and played with distinction there. (13 games)

“He really compliments what we were hoping to add to our midfield.”
    Confident Stephens will be a gun but let's settle a bit about next year. He is listed as 69kg!

Veteran Site Admin
    It took McVeigh three seasons to fully establish himself in the senior team. He, too, was very slight when drafted. Mind you, he was drafted as a 17 yo, and at a time when young players rarely got early opportunities at the Swans. Longmire has shown far more inclination to throw young players into the senior team if he thinks they are up to it than his two predecessors. Even when they are physically under developed. He seems to place emphasis on endurance rather than physical strength. So players like Hewett and Dawson has to plug away in the NEAFL, learning about the training standards required, while the likes of McCartin and Blakey and Hayward got very early senior exposure for their physiques.

Gould will play round one if he has a good preseason

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

I elsewhere Stephens is already jumped up to 74kg as he was told to hit the weights

James rowbottom was taller and 76kg when drafted and was not man handled

i find the way the games rules are interpreted, "the triathletes" of the competition like Whitfields etc with awesome skills lighter builds, brilliant runners are finding their way a lot faster then decades gone past

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Agility (seconds)
    Hayden Young 7.940 seconds
    Elijah Taylor 8.005
    Thomson Dow 8.061
    Trent Rivers 8.100
    Oisin Gallen 8.197
    Chad Warner 8.203
    Sam Flanders 8.206
    Noah Cumberland 8.208
    Connor Budarick 8.242
    Dylan Stephens 8.245

Yo-Yo test (level)
    Jay Rantall 21.8 level
    Cooper Stephens 21.8
    Connor Budarick 21.6
    Chad Warner 21.6
    Oscar Lewis 21.5
    Sam Philp 21.5
    Lachlan Ash 21.4
    Harrison Jones 21.4
    Finn Maginness 21.4
    Trey Ruscoe 21.4
    Riley Baldi 21.3
    Sam Flanders 21.3
    Matt Rowell 21.3
    Jeremy Sharp 21.3
    Dylan Stephens 21.2 reported elsewhere
    Also, elite endurance and agility from Warner.

Looking at this video, you can see what attracted us to him: PICK 39: Chad Warner - Highlights - YouTube.

i dont think i have forgot anyone prior to rookie draft today etc

we had 39 Snr players in 2019
    we had 9 rookie players in 2019
    48 players in total ?

i have 44 players so far on our books with Wicks for 2020

B: Melican, Brand, Oriordan
    HB: Stoddart, Gould, Reynolds
    C: McInerney, Clarke, Ling
    HF: Foot, Taylor, Fox
    F: Ronke, McLean, Wicks?
    FOL: Bell, Sinkers, Warner
    IC: Amartey, Knoll, Oconnor, Thurlow

TBC

Maibaum?

Aidyn Johnson? pre season training with us - from Port Adelaide

rookie draft players?

Veteran Site Admin
    I think last year we had 39 senior players, 5 Cat A rookies, 2 Cat B rookies and three supplemental rookies, making 49 in total. We can’t replace the supplemental rookies at this point of the season but can increase the Cat B rookies up to 4. So the most we can land up with on the list at the end of today is 47.

I would think we would have one of the "younger" lists for 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Gould will play round one if he has a good preseason

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    I'm with you on that one Wolfie. I was a bit sceptical about him being overweight and unfit but apparently when KB told him to improve his skin folds, he shredded very quickly.

In a pro environment, he will continue to be pushed by the coaching staff and has already shown he will respond. His highlights package shows he's got a good turn of pace, excellent kick and strong overhead. If he can get his fitness to the required level, pencil him in for round 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'm with you on that one Wolfie. I was a bit sceptical about him being overweight and unfit but apparently when KB told him to improve his skin folds, he shredded very quickly.

In a pro environment, he will continue to be pushed by the coaching staff and has already shown he will respond. His highlights package shows he's got a good turn of pace, excellent kick and strong overhead. If he can get his fitness to the required level, pencil him in for round 1!
    I always look forward to these threads, especially following a national draft.

The last few rounds of 2019 gave me great faith in our list, but the disappointment of the thought of losing Papley and worse gaining Daniher, lead me to thinking we ere heading into another Tippett discussion. Thankfully none of the dire nightmares occurred.

For there to be change, i.e. Gray, L. Taylor, Brand, Stephens, Gould, E. Taylor and Warner, then players in the past list must give way. Apart from those retirees, Jones is the only player that was a regular member of the best 22, that will be missing in 2020. This means someone from the list above must be better than those coming forward.

Naismith and Sinclair are available, at least one will come in for MacLean, although there was definite upside to his performances, he was not able to sustain it over a number of weeks. I liked Nankervis ahead of Naismith in 2016, but the list managers decided to let him go and again I lamented (see Mumford for Tippett). Naismith is better than Sinclair as a ruck and on-baller, Sinclair is better than Naismith up forward, but we need tall forwards less than we need a competitive follower, hence Naismith for me.

One-on-one I think, Lloyd loses most contests. His running is elite but where does he run to and what does he do when he gets there. I know this will be unpopular but I do not like the way, Lloyd carries the ball to the boundary. I prefer O'Riordan. Both have pace, both kick well, both look to create but I prefer the Irishman's decision making, discipline and courage.

Clark or Cunningham? Clark did some great jobs for us last year, particularly against North on Cunnington and others later in the season. It will be hard to ignore his poor efficiency when he has possession, so Harry for me.

As a small forward, Papley is clearly ahead of Ronke, but is there is place for him? With Hayward coming back, I think, Ben will struggle to keep his position. He showed resilience coming back into the team and his tackling was better towards the end but as a marking option a fit Hayward is ahead of him. Sam Gray is a another small forward and again I think he is ahead of Ben, I am surprised and delighted to have picked him up, he is very clean, takes his opportunities and gets a lot of the footy.

Melican, Brand, McCartin or Gould? I was impressed watching Brand play on Franklin last year, but Melican has been steadily improving, he has a habit of giving up free kicks but has good pace, reads the game well and disposes of the footy very well. For mine, McCartin is too valuable up forward to consign him down back unilaterally, using him as a stop gap would be perfect. This leaves Gould. I think we need to find out how well he is able to handle talls before we can compare him to the others in this category.

So,

O'Riordan Rampe Allir

Mills Brand Dawson

Florent Kennedy Blakey

Hayward Franklin Parker

Papley Reid McCartin

Naismith Hewitt Heeney

I/C
    Gray Cunningham Lloyd Rowbottom
    Last edited by graemed; 29th November 2019 at 11:52 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast