Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best 22 for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    My perspective is not that Reid doesn’t have leg speed, he may be quite useful over the journey, my point is that he lacks off the mark acceleration and hence poor closing speed. As a forward or swing player this is not a drawback but against someone like Riewoldt, Kennedy or Lynch, he loses every time.

I have watched Melican since he was first recruited and he has genuine speed off the mark, not Gary Rohan speed nor Rampe’s but better than most. His problem is more about panicking when unable to improve his position. In these situations he inevitably grabs for the player, more often than not resulting in a free kick. I believe he began to show real promise towards the end of the season, if you recall Reg was also guilty of much the same traits early in his career, some would say throughout his career.
    Yes, Melican is quicker than what some people think he is. At the end of last season, I went through the player tracker data. Melican recorded our fourth or fifth fastest speed. If I remember rightly, Buddy was our quickest, and Blakey and Rampe were also up there.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    It is an even year. Reid is scheduled to spend it in rehab.
    Perhaps we could do a deal with the AFL, where we also take on Ben Reid, but the two Reids only take up one spot on the list?

Which reminds me, has anyone found out why McLean is in a moonboot? Is he another victim of the Moore Park Triangle?

We need to find a fullback to free up AA and Rampe. We have 3 reasonable candidates in Melican, Brand and Maibaum. With any luck, at least one of them should make the grade.

I think Reid can play equally well at either end of the ground. He often drops back in defence the last few minutes of quarters and usually does a pretty good job; and often does a magnificent job. For next season, Reid still is the best option up forward with Franklin. So I would say he is option #4 for playing fullback.

If we get Daniher and Franklin is still playing well in 2021, then having Reid as a 3rd tall option seems a bit over the top. I suppose we can address that when the time comes.

I'm not sure if there's a place for Sinkers if everyone is fit. But with our recent history of injuries to ruckmen and forwards, he'll probably see a fair bit of senior time.

We also have to find a spot for Melican, who also plays equally well at both ends of the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

Which reminds me, has anyone found out why McLean is in a moonboot?
    He's enrolled in the astronaut program.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

- - - Updated - - -

He's enrolled in the astronaut program.
    One bold step at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    My perspective is not that Reid doesn’t have leg speed, he may be quite useful over the journey, my point is that he lacks off the mark acceleration and hence poor closing speed. As a forward or swing player this is not a drawback but against someone like Riewoldt, Kennedy or Lynch, he loses every time.

I have watched Melican since he was first recruited and he has genuine speed off the mark, not Gary Rohan speed nor Rampe’s but better than most. His problem is more about panicking when unable to improve his position. In these situations he inevitably grabs for the player, more often than not resulting in a free kick. I believe he began to show real promise towards the end of the season, if you recall Reg was also guilty of much the same traits early in his career, some would say throughout his career.
    I appreciate your thoughtful response, graemed, and am delighted to hear your positive perceptions of Melican based on close observation. I'm a Melican fan and really want him to succeed. I think he needs to build his confidence as much as anything.

However, just in relation to Reid's speed, and fortified by The Mase's input, I did see Reid do a short, timed sprint at training on Monday morning and he looked pretty quick off the mark, possibly more so than Buddy, (although I reckon not as quick as Buddy in full flight (but didn't get to see that!)).

Buddy is showing signs of age and seems a little heavier and less lithe than once upon a time. Still quick and agile, just not like 10 years ago or even like when he arrived at the Swans.

AFL.com.au has had a crack at our best 22. I don’t know why they insist on seeing Blakey as a key position player rather than a tall wingman / half forward? They’ve swung Reid back to accommodate Blakey.

They’ve got Sinkers rucking and none of our draftees in the side. But Taylor and Gray are in.

Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    AFL.com.au has had a crack at our best 22. I don’t know why they insist on seeing Blakey as a key position player rather than a tall wingman / half forward? They’ve swung Reid back to accommodate Blakey.

They’ve got Sinkers rucking and none of our draftees in the side. But Taylor and Gray are in.

Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one
    I essentially agree with this team. I would be happy to try Reid down back but suspect he will start forward. Agree with you Webbos that Blakey plays on a wing / high HF.

Naismith is a unicorn - this mythical creature that will apparently solve all our issues around stoppages. As I have mentioned ad nauseum cast your minds back to his last full season. Look at the stats - his hit out count is on par with Sinclair. He was working with a superior midfield (Mitchell, JPK, Hanners, Jack, Parker ). Watch the games where McEvoy and Zac Smith towelled him up. And that was before he stuffed his knee. He will not fix a thing and will also get soundly beaten around the park. Sinclair is an honest workman and will compete around the park. Until we find a better ruckman than these two, Sinclair is the better option. Happy to be proven wrong as always - it would be fantastic if he was to become a first rate ruck in his second coming but I have my reservations..........

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I prefer Sinclair too. Here is a comparison between Sinclair of 2018 and Naismith of 2017 when playing as our number 1 ruck:
    https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=P&fopt2=2017
    See above link to stats. My final word on this. Promise not to raise it again 😉

The 106kg half-back likened to Hurn | Will Gould | Draft Class of 2019 | AFL - YouTube

gould has stated in just about every interview he wants to be playing in snrs next year

i dont think i have ever heard a young fella drafted as keen as that except for Warner funny enough

There appears to be a bit of grit to Gould and Warner and they appear to have that passion to contribute

his kicking is on display below for Glenelg and there are some monster long kick outs.........starting to warm to Gould on the right side and Dawson on the left causing havoc with their accurate long kicks off HBF looking for Bud up front on the run in space

Round 1 RAA Rookie - Will Gould (Glenelg) - Lucindale FC - YouTube

check out the goal end of the video below with stephens and gould and edwards combining..........nice effort, anticipation and finish gouldie

Glenelg's Will Gould - Torrens Uni SA U18 v Vic Country - YouTube
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

makes you wonder if Warner may get a chance like Rowbottom did first year ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK-OlovHyf8 gould got 20.3 for a big unit fair effort in the yo yo test

Agility (seconds)
    Hayden Young 7.940 seconds
    Elijah Taylor 8.005
    Thomson Dow 8.061
    Trent Rivers 8.100
    Oisin Gallen 8.197
    Chad Warner 8.203
    Sam Flanders 8.206
    Noah Cumberland 8.208
    Connor Budarick 8.242
    Dylan Stephens 8.245

Yo-Yo test (level)
    Jay Rantall 21.8 level
    Cooper Stephens 21.8
    Connor Budarick 21.6
    Chad Warner 21.6
    Oscar Lewis 21.5
    Sam Philp 21.5
    Lachlan Ash 21.4
    Harrison Jones 21.4
    Finn Maginness 21.4
    Trey Ruscoe 21.4
    Riley Baldi 21.3
    Sam Flanders 21.3
    Matt Rowell 21.3
    Jeremy Sharp 21.3

2km time trial results (min:sec)

Jay Rantall 5:50 minutes
    Finn Maginness 5:51
    Dylan Stephens 6:01
    Louis Butler 6:09
    Hugo Ralphsmith 6:12
    Jeremy Sharp 6:12
    Connor Budarick 6:15
    Jai Jackson 6:15
    Will Martyn 6:16
    Ned Cahill 6:17
    Matt Rowell 6:17
    Noah Anderson 6:17
    Cooper Stephens 6:17
    Cian McBride 6:17

Running vertical jump (cm)

Brady Rowles 98cm
    Miles Bergman 90
    Sam Flanders 88
    Cian McBride 87
    Lachlan Williams 86
    Hugo Ralphsmith 86
    Jaxon Prior 85
    Nick Bryan 85
    Oscar Lewis 83
    Kysaiah Pickett 83
    Cody Weightman 83
    Will Day 83
    Brady Rowles 83
    Cooper Stephens 83
    Harrison Jones 83

Vertical jump (cm)
    Miles Bergman 77cm
    Brady Rowles 73
    Ben Johnson 70
    Daniel Mott 70
    Cody Weightman 69
    Sam Flanders 69
    Lachlan Williams 69
    Sam Philp 69
    Nick Bryan 69

20m sprint (seconds)
    Sam Philp 2.867 seconds
    Ben Johnson 2.885
    Malcolm Rosas 2.924
    Mitch Georgiades 2.925
    Noah Cumberland 2.931
    Finn Maginness 2.957
    Harrison Jones 2.963
    Jeremy Sharp 2.966
    Brady Rowles 2.968
    Dylan Stephens 2.972
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    makes you wonder if Warner may get a chance like Rowbottom did first year ?

Glenelg’s Will Gould (64) & North’s Dyson Hilder (65) & Karl Finlay (63) - Yo Yo Test AFL Combine - YouTube gould got 20.3 for a big unit fair effort in the yo yo test

Agility (seconds)
    Hayden Young 7.940 seconds
    Elijah Taylor 8.005
    Thomson Dow 8.061
    Trent Rivers 8.100
    Oisin Gallen 8.197
    Chad Warner 8.203
    Sam Flanders 8.206
    Noah Cumberland 8.208
    Connor Budarick 8.242
    Dylan Stephens 8.245

Yo-Yo test (level)
    Jay Rantall 21.8 level
    Cooper Stephens 21.8
    Connor Budarick 21.6
    Chad Warner 21.6
    Oscar Lewis 21.5
    Sam Philp 21.5
    Lachlan Ash 21.4
    Harrison Jones 21.4
    Finn Maginness 21.4
    Trey Ruscoe 21.4
    Riley Baldi 21.3
    Sam Flanders 21.3
    Matt Rowell 21.3
    Jeremy Sharp 21.3

2km time trial results (min:sec)

Jay Rantall 5:50 minutes
    Finn Maginness 5:51
    Dylan Stephens 6:01
    Louis Butler 6:09
    Hugo Ralphsmith 6:12
    Jeremy Sharp 6:12
    Connor Budarick 6:15
    Jai Jackson 6:15
    Will Martyn 6:16
    Ned Cahill 6:17
    Matt Rowell 6:17
    Noah Anderson 6:17
    Cooper Stephens 6:17
    Cian McBride 6:17

Running vertical jump (cm)

Brady Rowles 98cm
    Miles Bergman 90
    Sam Flanders 88
    Cian McBride 87
    Lachlan Williams 86
    Hugo Ralphsmith 86
    Jaxon Prior 85
    Nick Bryan 85
    Oscar Lewis 83
    Kysaiah Pickett 83
    Cody Weightman 83
    Will Day 83
    Brady Rowles 83
    Cooper Stephens 83
    Harrison Jones 83

Vertical jump (cm)
    Miles Bergman 77cm
    Brady Rowles 73
    Ben Johnson 70
    Daniel Mott 70
    Cody Weightman 69
    Sam Flanders 69
    Lachlan Williams 69
    Sam Philp 69
    Nick Bryan 69

20m sprint (seconds)
    Sam Philp 2.867 seconds
    Ben Johnson 2.885
    Malcolm Rosas 2.924
    Mitch Georgiades 2.925
    Noah Cumberland 2.931
    Finn Maginness 2.957
    Harrison Jones 2.963
    Jeremy Sharp 2.966
    Brady Rowles 2.968
    Dylan Stephens 2.972
    Rowles certainly has an impressive athletic base.

Veterans List
    Injuries and pre season form aside, perusal of the list has me thinking we have a fairly clear best 20/22, these are the guys I think are locks based on 2019 form

Buddy
    LLoyd
    Heeney
    Parker
    Aliir
    Papley
    Florent
    Kennedy
    Mills
    Rampe
    Reid
    Hayward
    McCartin
    Blakey
    Hewett
    Dawson
    Rowbottom
    Cunningham
    Sam Gray
    Lewis Taylor if he gets fit
    That's 20, plus we need at least one ruck (Sinclair/Naismith), plus another KPD (Melican/Brand) =22

COR I really rate and see him best 22 at some stage this year, Thurlow & Clarke are just depth from what we saw in 2019.

Be interesting to see how the new draftees go, wouldn't be surprised to see Stephens and/or Gould make a big impression on selectors in pre season games.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast