Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Best 22 for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    My perspective is not that Reid doesn’t have leg speed, he may be quite useful over the journey, my point is that he lacks off the mark acceleration and hence poor closing speed. As a forward or swing player this is not a drawback but against someone like Riewoldt, Kennedy or Lynch, he loses every time.

I have watched Melican since he was first recruited and he has genuine speed off the mark, not Gary Rohan speed nor Rampe’s but better than most. His problem is more about panicking when unable to improve his position. In these situations he inevitably grabs for the player, more often than not resulting in a free kick. I believe he began to show real promise towards the end of the season, if you recall Reg was also guilty of much the same traits early in his career, some would say throughout his career.
    Yes, Melican is quicker than what some people think he is. At the end of last season, I went through the player tracker data. Melican recorded our fourth or fifth fastest speed. If I remember rightly, Buddy was our quickest, and Blakey and Rampe were also up there.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    It is an even year. Reid is scheduled to spend it in rehab.
    Perhaps we could do a deal with the AFL, where we also take on Ben Reid, but the two Reids only take up one spot on the list?

Which reminds me, has anyone found out why McLean is in a moonboot? Is he another victim of the Moore Park Triangle?

We need to find a fullback to free up AA and Rampe. We have 3 reasonable candidates in Melican, Brand and Maibaum. With any luck, at least one of them should make the grade.

I think Reid can play equally well at either end of the ground. He often drops back in defence the last few minutes of quarters and usually does a pretty good job; and often does a magnificent job. For next season, Reid still is the best option up forward with Franklin. So I would say he is option #4 for playing fullback.

If we get Daniher and Franklin is still playing well in 2021, then having Reid as a 3rd tall option seems a bit over the top. I suppose we can address that when the time comes.

I'm not sure if there's a place for Sinkers if everyone is fit. But with our recent history of injuries to ruckmen and forwards, he'll probably see a fair bit of senior time.

We also have to find a spot for Melican, who also plays equally well at both ends of the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

Which reminds me, has anyone found out why McLean is in a moonboot?
    He's enrolled in the astronaut program.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

- - - Updated - - -

He's enrolled in the astronaut program.
    One bold step at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    My perspective is not that Reid doesn’t have leg speed, he may be quite useful over the journey, my point is that he lacks off the mark acceleration and hence poor closing speed. As a forward or swing player this is not a drawback but against someone like Riewoldt, Kennedy or Lynch, he loses every time.

I have watched Melican since he was first recruited and he has genuine speed off the mark, not Gary Rohan speed nor Rampe’s but better than most. His problem is more about panicking when unable to improve his position. In these situations he inevitably grabs for the player, more often than not resulting in a free kick. I believe he began to show real promise towards the end of the season, if you recall Reg was also guilty of much the same traits early in his career, some would say throughout his career.
    I appreciate your thoughtful response, graemed, and am delighted to hear your positive perceptions of Melican based on close observation. I'm a Melican fan and really want him to succeed. I think he needs to build his confidence as much as anything.

However, just in relation to Reid's speed, and fortified by The Mase's input, I did see Reid do a short, timed sprint at training on Monday morning and he looked pretty quick off the mark, possibly more so than Buddy, (although I reckon not as quick as Buddy in full flight (but didn't get to see that!)).

Buddy is showing signs of age and seems a little heavier and less lithe than once upon a time. Still quick and agile, just not like 10 years ago or even like when he arrived at the Swans.

AFL.com.au has had a crack at our best 22. I don’t know why they insist on seeing Blakey as a key position player rather than a tall wingman / half forward? They’ve swung Reid back to accommodate Blakey.

They’ve got Sinkers rucking and none of our draftees in the side. But Taylor and Gray are in.

Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    AFL.com.au has had a crack at our best 22. I don’t know why they insist on seeing Blakey as a key position player rather than a tall wingman / half forward? They’ve swung Reid back to accommodate Blakey.

They’ve got Sinkers rucking and none of our draftees in the side. But Taylor and Gray are in.

Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one
    I essentially agree with this team. I would be happy to try Reid down back but suspect he will start forward. Agree with you Webbos that Blakey plays on a wing / high HF.

Naismith is a unicorn - this mythical creature that will apparently solve all our issues around stoppages. As I have mentioned ad nauseum cast your minds back to his last full season. Look at the stats - his hit out count is on par with Sinclair. He was working with a superior midfield (Mitchell, JPK, Hanners, Jack, Parker ). Watch the games where McEvoy and Zac Smith towelled him up. And that was before he stuffed his knee. He will not fix a thing and will also get soundly beaten around the park. Sinclair is an honest workman and will compete around the park. Until we find a better ruckman than these two, Sinclair is the better option. Happy to be proven wrong as always - it would be fantastic if he was to become a first rate ruck in his second coming but I have my reservations..........

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I prefer Sinclair too. Here is a comparison between Sinclair of 2018 and Naismith of 2017 when playing as our number 1 ruck:
    https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=P&fopt2=2017
    See above link to stats. My final word on this. Promise not to raise it again 😉

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678