Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 for 2020

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Sinkers over Reid as CHF
    Yes. Maybe Reid takes Melicans place in the back line.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I must be watching a different Reid from you guys or maybe you're referring to the Sam Reid from GWS.
    Whilst our Sam Reid can do a fine job covering a relief ruck, drifting down back towards the end of a quarter or taking a telling intercept mark, there is no way he has :

1. the discipline to play down back for a while season.

2. the disposal skills to link with other defenders

3. the acceleration to close quickly on a leading forward.

Melican makes errors in judgement particularly when caught out of position in a one-on-one situation but like Reid he can intercept mark. Moreover unlike Reid, he does have a defensive mindset and the discipline to stay focused in hand-overs, has genuine leg speed and is a much better kick to position.

Personally, I have been watching Brand since we played Hawthorn last year and he did better than break even with Franklin. He is genuine tall, has good body strength, takes a strong grab overhead and links well with other defenders.

On a more positive note, Sam Reid is our second best offensive target. He has improved his kicking skills, can relieve as a ruck, is an excellent pack mark and for those who remember back to 2012 was one of our stars in the last quarter of the GF, taking telling marks as a lead up target to relieve our defence. His combination with McCartin as Franklin ages, and plays more out of the goal square, will be crucial to the development of players like Blakey, Heeney and Hayward.

I think you may be underestimating Sam Reid's leg speed, graemed. I think he's agile and quick for a guy his size. I wouldn't be sure who is quicker between Reid and Melican. They both have decent but not outstanding pace. A pity they're not here to ask!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    I must be watching a different Reid from you guys or maybe you're referring to the Sam Reid from GWS.
    Whilst our Sam Reid can do a fine job covering a relief ruck, drifting down back towards the end of a quarter or taking a telling intercept mark, there is no way he has :

1. the discipline to play down back for a while season.

2. the disposal skills to link with other defenders

3. the acceleration to close quickly on a leading forward.

Melican makes errors in judgement particularly when caught out of position in a one-on-one situation but like Reid he can intercept mark. Moreover unlike Reid, he does have a defensive mindset and the discipline to stay focused in hand-overs, has genuine leg speed and is a much better kick to position.

Personally, I have been watching Brand since we played Hawthorn last year and he did better than break even with Franklin. He is genuine tall, has good body strength, takes a strong grab overhead and links well with other defenders.

On a more positive note, Sam Reid is our second best offensive target. He has improved his kicking skills, can relieve as a ruck, is an excellent pack mark and for those who remember back to 2012 was one of our stars in the last quarter of the GF, taking telling marks as a lead up target to relieve our defence. His combination with McCartin as Franklin ages, and plays more out of the goal square, will be crucial to the development of players like Blakey, Heeney and Hayward.
    Agree with this. Forward or bust for Sam although you're a bit harsh on his disposal skills. McCartin , on the other hand, would make a gun CHB I reckon.

I've been of the opinion for a while now that Reid would be a good full back. With Melican seemingly going backwards last year and the fact that Rampe has so many offensive weapons, I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world to try him there. Especially as both him and Buddy are no spring chickens, and it's crucial for our future forward line that McCartain continues to develop as a KPF.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Sinkers over Reid as CHF
    We will be travelling well if Sinkers cant get a game this year.
    Sinkers is a great backup player. Backup ruckman, backup forward. Good for covering holes, but not good enough to be 1st selected in either. Reid >> Sinkers as a forward.

Any rise up the ladder largely depends on Nainsmith's fitness, to give us a fighting chance in the midfield.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I don't see Sam Reid as a permanent full back. We above all need someone who can contain and or nullify the games of big forwards like Buddy. It is not good for Ramps to have to play one on one on those players. If Melican is not up for it Graemed's observations on Brand suggest he may have the game for it. Reid does not even use his body that well in one on one situations in the forward line, he is better on the lead and flying across or into packs. With Gould coming in and Dawson, as well as Aliir we have enough interceptors/rebounders without him there. Ramps is better freed up to trouble shoot and manage them all!
    If McCartin is long term going to be a key forward why not let him learn his craft and excel up forward, rotating with Reid and while Buddy is still there.

Best 22 for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think you may be underestimating Sam Reid's leg speed, graemed. I think he's agile and quick for a guy his size. I wouldn't be sure who is quicker between Reid and Melican. They both have decent but not outstanding pace. A pity they're not here to ask!
    My perspective is not that Reid doesn’t have leg speed, he may be quite useful over the journey, my point is that he lacks off the mark acceleration and hence poor closing speed. As a forward or swing player this is not a drawback but against someone like Riewoldt, Kennedy or Lynch, he loses every time.

I have watched Melican since he was first recruited and he has genuine speed off the mark, not Gary Rohan speed nor Rampe’s but better than most. His problem is more about panicking when unable to improve his position. In these situations he inevitably grabs for the player, more often than not resulting in a free kick. I believe he began to show real promise towards the end of the season, if you recall Reg was also guilty of much the same traits early in his career, some would say throughout his career.

Best 22 for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree with this. Forward or bust for Sam although you're a bit harsh on his disposal skills. McCartin , on the other hand, would make a gun CHB I reckon.
    I love the way he kicks long but when tries to short pass, he regularly does so off one step. Of course he does this with the best intentions of moving the ball on quickly and creating an overlap but too often the kicks either fall short or are misdirected.

Sam Reid is one of my favourite footballers and without any doubt in my mind we would have won the GF in 2016 with him in the team. I just can’t make a case for him as a defender.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    My perspective is not that Reid doesn’t have leg speed, he may be quite useful over the journey, my point is that he lacks off the mark acceleration and hence poor closing speed. As a forward or swing player this is not a drawback but against someone like Riewoldt, Kennedy or Lynch, he loses every time.

I have watched Melican since he was first recruited and he has genuine speed off the mark, not Gary Rohan speed nor Rampe’s but better than most. His problem is more about panicking when unable to improve his position. In these situations he inevitably grabs for the player, more often than not resulting in a free kick. I believe he began to show real promise towards the end of the season, if you recall Reg was also guilty of much the same traits early in his career, some would say throughout his career.
    Sam Reid actually recorded the 4th fastest 20m sprint at the combine in his draft year (it would have placed him around 3rd / 4th in 2019). That may have changed of course but I don’t think his speed off the mark is an issue.

Having said that I’ve read a fair bit here about Reid going to defence and I just can’t see it happening on a permanent basis. He will be forward.

Regular in the Side
    It is an even year. Reid is scheduled to spend it in rehab.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast