Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Best 22 for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Now the trade period has finished, and with a pretty healthy list (all players meant to be training before Christmas), I thought it would be an interesting experiment to see how our best 22 is looking for next year.

I have Naismith coming back in as #1 ruck, Cunningham to take over the small defender role that Nick Smith did so well for so long and have tried to mix our midfield up a little.

McCartin Franklin Hayward
    Papley Reid Parker
    Blakey Heeney Florent
    Lloyd Aliir Dawson
    O'Riordan Rampe Cunningham
    Naismith Mills Kennedy
    Hewett Rowbottom Gray Taylor
    Emergencies: Fox, Brand/Melican (to come in against taller forward lines for O'Riordan), Sinclair, Ronke

Pretty young and raw side but still one that I think is competitive. The rucks are our biggest weakness and the midfield the most intriguing. Will players like Heeney, Mills, Florent and Blakey step up to become absolute stars and win games off their own boot or are they still a few more years away?
    I'm still happy with this starting 22 from 4 months ago.

Gould and Stephens will be good but can't find a place for them in the 22 (yet).

Hewett, Rowbottom, Gray and Taylor would all need to perform early to keep their spots as the young draftees are coming.

Most contributors are sticking with our players who have been playing AFL over 2019. The coaches will be doing the same for R1.

If it becomes clear that there is not much improvement left in them, then we need to start playing our youngsters in the hope they can lead us back up the ladder. I just don't feel guys like Ling, Stoddart, McInerney, Foote, Gould, Stephens, Warner etc are going to improve as rapidly in the NEAFL as they would playing AFL.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Most contributors are sticking with our players who have been playing AFL over 2019. The coaches will be doing the same for R1.

If it becomes clear that there is not much improvement left in them, then we need to start playing our youngsters in the hope they can lead us back up the ladder. I just don't feel guys like Ling, Stoddart, McInerney, Foote, Gould, Stephens, Warner etc are going to improve as rapidly in the NEAFL as they would playing AFL.
    Bit rough on the newbies Dawg. You cant expect them to just slot in and play like champions. Big difference between SANL and the big time. McInerney might be a good player with good players around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Bit rough on the newbies Dawg. You cant expect them to just slot in and play like champions. Big difference between SANL and the big time. McInerney might be a good player with good players around him.
    Sorry Nico, my post is a bit ambiguous. I'm not expecting the newbies to slot straight in and play like champions. What I am saying is that I can appreciate why we will stick with our AFL experience players for the early rounds.

However, if it becomes apparent that there is no improvement in our team, then we need to get the newbies in to accelerate their progress. I just feel that the NEAFL is a pretty average standard relative to the AFL and the young guys will improve more playing AFL.

Well the footy's on, for at least this week anyway. Here's my crack at our 22 for R1

B Rampe Brand Lloyd
    HB Mills Aliir Cunningham
    C Dawson Rowbottom Florent
    HF Heeney McCartain Blakey
    F Papley Sinclair Hayward
    Foll Naismith JPK Parker

Int Hewett Gray Taylor COR
    Stephen's and Gould next cabs off the rank

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112