Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memorable Footy Headlines

Goes up to 11
    I liked the headline on the Swans website a few years ago when we drafted a raw young defender:

"Cheer cheer Aliir Aliir".

Gold.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I can't recall the British newspaper responsible for this headline, and I can't recall the soccer player involved (I think he was Spanish), and of course I can't remember the name of the soccer fan who started the whole fracas. However, for some reason the headline sticks in my mind.

The fan was being obnoxious and the player finally had enough, so he went over to the fan and clocked him. The paper headlined it as: When the sh_it hit the fan!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I can't recall the British newspaper responsible for this headline, and I can't recall the soccer player involved (I think he was Spanish), and of course I can't remember the name of the soccer fan who started the whole fracas. However, for some reason the headline sticks in my mind.

The fan was being obnoxious and the player finally had enough, so he went over to the fan and clocked him. The paper headlined it as: When the sh_it hit the fan!
    Was this the infamous Eric Cantona of Manchester United doing a Kung Fu kick on a spectator during a EPL game in the mid 90's?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    That's the man! I can see where I got Spanish from, forgot he was French. And it was "hits", not "hit".

Not exactly recent but it sort of stays in your mind ...
    Last edited by dimelb; 26th November 2019 at 05:16 PM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Also another non footy headline....

Few years ago I saw a headline "Extra Cover for Ponting". It was about Ricky Ponting having a hair transplant.

Veterans List
    Big news, Mr Flop aka Alex Rance has retired as of today

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Different code, and I don't know if it's apocryphal, but it doesn't get better than "Crouching Tiger Hidden Finger".
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Different code, and I don't know if it's apocryphal, but it doesn't get better than "Crouching Tiger Hidden Finger".
    Yeah, that's good. Hopoate reference?

On the veteran's list
    Not sporting but classic. In the NT news when Murdoch married Jerry Hall. Above their picture

“Jerry and the Pacemaker”

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Not sporting but classic. In the NT news when Murdoch married Jerry Hall. Above their picture

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post

Very good!

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Yeah, that's good. Hopoate reference?
    Yep, spot on. Magnificent blend of current affairs with cultural phenomenon.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12