Page 139 of 452 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast
Results 1,657 to 1,668 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Category: | Herald Sun

“Sydney will attempt to secure Joe Daniher’s full medical files before signing off on a bid to recruit the injury-marred forward...”

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think we made an offer we knew they would refuse. Don't think we wanted JD last year. Not sure if we are even going after him this year given we are allegedly trying to get Essendon to hand over his medical history.
    Spot on

You would want to know that your getting at least 12-15 games a season out of him , otherwise I wouldnt bother.

If he's only up for five to six games a year , hes not a spearhead to focus your game around, he's the icing on the cake . Accordingly he should be traded for and paid for with that in mind.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Does the salary cap not apply to Geelong?
    Losing Taylor, Ablett and potentially Selwood would give them some space
    (if you can put any stock in the Herald Sun podcast. Why do I listen to that garbage?)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

It's going to be hard to make other trade and draft decisions before the Daniher outcome is decided.

If we get Daniher as a FA, I would definitely try to make a deal trading our pick 4, because the possible KPP we would take with that pick wouldn't be needed with Daniher on our list (all assuming he's fit of course). Also the 2 we would be most interested in, Thilthorpe and McDonald could well be gone by pick 4.

My idea would be to trade both picks 4 and 23 for a player and a slew of later picks that will ensure we have enough points for both Campbell and Gulden, which I figure will be less than 2000 points even if Campbell goes as high as pick 7. Two possible trades could be:

1. Trade with PA for Peter Ladhams and most of their later picks which will tally around 2000 value points. They have picks 27, 32, 37, 49 and 55, which will drop off especially if they don't win the GF.
    2. Trade with Richmond for Mabior Chol and picks 17, 31 and 53. Pick 17 could be traded down for picks with more value points.

Otherwise, we might have to trade for someone like Peter Wright. I'm not so negative on him as some others are. I think he could become a good ruckman. He certainly has the size and better skills than your average ruckman. I know he prefers playing forward, so that has to be resolved before he can be considered.

Findlayson's gone. Just signed for 3 years at GWS.
    Giants have read the riot act to departing players. Looks like they might be gaining a spine.

Opti-pessi-misti
    On the Swans AFL website during a Surprise Coach segment John Longmire mentioned that he had two sons, aged 15 and 17. I would expect that they have been in the Swans Academy? If so its strange that they have not been mentioned by anyone as to whether they are any good or likely to aspire to an AFL future. We saw Rooseys' sons have a go but didn't make it whereas Nick Blakey has. Does anyone know how the young Longmires are are going?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If we get Daniher as a FA, I would definitely try to make a deal trading our pick 4, because the possible KPP we would take with that pick wouldn't be needed with Daniher on our list (all assuming he's fit of course). Also the 2 we would be most interested in, Thilthorpe and McDonald could well be gone by pick 4.
    I agree with you about trade strategy and list analysis more than I do about some other things, but not sure I agree about this. Even if we do recruit Daniher, I definitely think we could use an additional young KPF hot prospect. Buddy won't be around too long, Sam Reid is getting long in the tooth, Tommy McCartin seems to be moving down back and Blakey to the midfield. None of McLean, Amartey or Sinclair are going to cut it.

Apart from that: 1. we will have pick 5 (after the Bulldogs take Jamarra Ugle-Hagan). 2. Logan McDonald will surely be gone by our picke (otherwise we should take him). 3. Riley Thilthorpe is a fair chance of still being available and is worthy of consideration.

Should we consider that highly rated tall KPD prospect (with the double barrelled surname) if McDonald and Thilthorpe are gone?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree with you about trade strategy and list analysis more than I do about some other things, but not sure I agree about this. Even if we do recruit Daniher, I definitely think we could use an additional young KPF hot prospect. Buddy won't be around too long, Sam Reid is getting long in the tooth, Tommy McCartin seems to be moving down back and Blakey to the midfield. None of McLean, Amartey or Sinclair are going to cut it.

Apart from that: 1. we will have pick 5 (after the Bulldogs take Jamarra Ugle-Hagan). 2. Logan McDonald will surely be gone by our picke (otherwise we should take him). 3. Riley Thilthorpe is a fair chance of still being available and is worthy of consideration.

Should we consider that highly rated tall KPD prospect (with the double barrelled surname) if McDonald and Thilthorpe are gone?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    For every pick you have, you have to have a corresponding vacancy on your list. So if we're going to use say 5-6 later picks to pay for Campbell and Gulden, we have to have that many vacant list positions.

Once you've used all these picks to pay the matching points, where do you get the players to fill those vacancies?

I think we go best available with pick 4, match Campbell and Gulden and walk away satisfied with three that should be very good best 22 players in one draft.
    Last edited by 707; 16th September 2020 at 07:53 PM.

Veterans List
    If we fall for Daniher then I'll cut up my season's ticket. Of course back in the day when they were cardboard, you tore them up. But I'll keep the barcode in case I change my mind.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Findlayson's gone. Just signed for 3 years at GWS.
    Giants have read the riot act to departing players. Looks like they might be gaining a spine.
    Odd re-signing at this point in time, wonder if Jeremy Cameron is on the move?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Odd re-signing at this point in time, wonder if Jeremy Cameron is on the move?
    Didn't he re-sign recently, before he lost form. Coniglio did the same.