Page 185 of 452 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235285 ... LastLast
Results 2,209 to 2,220 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Not a myth, at the list's peak, based on draft points, they had a list worth almost twice as much as any other list. I know that's not going to be to everyone's liking of how to rate a list, but probably the only numeric way.
    The draft measure best players at 17. Whether they turn into good players is a bit of a lottery. You could say they had good potential, but thats about it.
    The measure of best list in the AFL is the all-australian team.

Otherwise Carlton, Gold Coast and Melbourne would be powerhouses too.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The draft measure best players at 17. Whether they turn into good players is a bit of a lottery. You could say they had good potential, but thats about it.

So let's just say they squandered an unprecedented opportunity to assemble the best list. They are looking like a shambles at the moment.

Veterans List
    GWS.....had the best list (on potential)....just not the best coach (by a long shot)....or administration (who gave average coach an extension). Sure this average coach got them to a GF but with that list, anyone could have.....now he's lost the players. This season proved it....

The above is of course just my opinion and is open to sensible scrutiny and assessment.....

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Garry Lyon suggests the Swans are a good fit for Preuss. I'd be really happy if we got him:

The club that would be a "good fit" for Braydon Preuss
    I think he’s right, and I agree with you Webbo. Let’s get the big man in the red and white!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I reckon the biggest challenge to getting Preuss (though I'm more lukewarm than others) is what we can offer Melbourne vs GWS.

Right now, Melbourne has a poor draft hand as a consequence of deals done last year. GWS have a poor one too, but will likely get first round compo for Williams, second round compo for Corr and will shift one of their other youngsters, as they do each year, for something either side of pick 20. That gives them serious currency to help Melbourne back into this year's draft.

We however, are prioritising pick retention and addition for the Campbell and Guiden bids. A pick from next year won't do much for Melbourne.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Garry Lyon suggests the Swans are a good fit for Preuss. I'd be really happy if we got him:

The club that would be a "good fit" for Braydon Preuss
    If we land Preuss, Naismith would come good playing 150 games uninterrupted and becoming the premier big man of the competition.

Poor Braydon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I reckon the biggest challenge to getting Preuss (though I'm more lukewarm than others) is what we can offer Melbourne vs GWS.

Right now, Melbourne has a poor draft hand as a consequence of deals done last year. GWS have a poor one too, but will likely get first round compo for Williams, second round compo for Corr and will shift one of their other youngsters, as they do each year, for something either side of pick 20. That gives them serious currency to help Melbourne back into this year's draft.

We however, are prioritising pick retention and addition for the Campbell and Guiden bids. A pick from next year won't do much for Melbourne.
    I image a pick in the 30's will get it done.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

They never had as many high draft picks as GWS by some margin, the points tally proved that

All's I'm saying is that draft picks don't equal success. I recall roos had the same opinion.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    They never had as many high draft picks as GWS by some margin, the points tally proved that
    Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. Affects culture which has been a problem there given the cream they were provided with.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. Affects culture which has been a problem there given the cream they were provided with.
    I read this article on the Roar which argues that the problem with the GW$ list is that it has plenty of elite talent but not enough "role players" because the RPs keep getting poached.

AFL trades: Zac Williams, Aidan Corr and the giant problem at GWS

The simplest way to build an AFL premiership list is this: obtain a strong core of A-grade talent – say, four or five undeniably elite players – and then find quality role players to fill in the side around them.

The Giants have been emphatically successful at the former. Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron is as talented a top five as you could ask for, even if some of them haven’t necessarily had great years in 2020.

But the cost of keeping those players at the club – each of who could demand $1 million per year or close to it on the open market – and the persistent raids from clubs in the traditional footy states have made it nearly impossible to do the latter.

I read this article on the Roar which argues that the problem with the GW$ list is that it has plenty of elite talent but not enough "role players" because the RPs keep getting poached.

AFL trades: Zac Williams, Aidan Corr and the giant problem at GWS

The simplest way to build an AFL premiership list is this: obtain a strong core of A-grade talent – say, four or five undeniably elite players – and then find quality role players to fill in the side around them.

The Giants have been emphatically successful at the former. Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron is as talented a top five as you could ask for, even if some of them haven’t necessarily had great years in 2020.

But the cost of keeping those players at the club – each of who could demand $1 million per year or close to it on the open market – and the persistent raids from clubs in the traditional footy states have made it nearly impossible to do the latter.
    Yeah I’d say that’s fair assessment of the Giants. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what the Hun says about our season and list management needs:

Category: | Herald Sun

The main issue identified for the rebuilding Swans is that they need to address midfield depth, with Champion Data saying Sydney found it hard to generate a forward half game when its midfield was getting badly beaten... Need to find depth to assist Kennedy and Parker – Rowbottom huge find

Champion data says we need: Inside midfielder, Classy midfielder, Key forward