Page 24 of 452 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I'm sure KB & SD are as well prepared as possible. I think, unless Campbell has grown significantly*, it is highly likely that we will have a selection before him and/or Gulden. That will mean that we have the opportunity to draft 3 players with the most known ability based on underage performances at the 2019 championships.

With list sizes possibly/likely being reduced as a cost saving measure, it may mean that we only take these 3 selections. If we take a 4th it would also be likely to be the other academy prospect (Marco Rossman) who we would also know well enough.

In regards to Daniher, surely this is the biggest "buy low" opportunity? Worth the risk.

*Don't get me started on height. For me, it is a metric, especially for midfielders, that is highly overrated in drafting/recruiting. Campbell is listed currently at 178cm which would ensure he drops to mid-late first round. Gulden could go into the 2nd round at 171cm. If Campbell was to grow 3cm he would be rated top 10 even though his performance numbers would be exactly the same.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Report today that JD is a fair way off training at the right intensity to play. Wouldn't touch him with a forty foot pole!
    And yet Dodoro wanted 2 first round picks plus a player! And what about all the media backlash for not trading for him? We knew exactly what we were doing 😊.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I'm sure KB & SD are as well prepared as possible. I think, unless Campbell has grown significantly*, it is highly likely that we will have a selection before him and/or Gulden. That will mean that we have the opportunity to draft 3 players with the most known ability based on underage performances at the 2019 championships.

With list sizes possibly/likely being reduced as a cost saving measure, it may mean that we only take these 3 selections. If we take a 4th it would also be likely to be the other academy prospect (Marco Rossman) who we would also know well enough.

In regards to Daniher, surely this is the biggest "buy low" opportunity? Worth the risk.

*Don't get me started on height. For me, it is a metric, especially for midfielders, that is highly overrated in drafting/recruiting. Campbell is listed currently at 178cm which would ensure he drops to mid-late first round. Gulden could go into the 2nd round at 171cm. If Campbell was to grow 3cm he would be rated top 10 even though his performance numbers would be exactly the same.
    Yes, while height does make a difference, I'm not sure how much? I suspect that there's some obscure analysis somewhere, but I haven't read it. In my semi-educated opinion, if Gulden stays that height, he'll probably drop to the second round. Which would be a bonus for us, as having seen a fair bit of him last year, I definitely think that he's first round talent. Campbell's 178cm may not make that much difference. The stand out pick of last year's draft, Matt Rowell, is 178cm. As is the 8 pick, Caleb Serong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    And yet Dodoro wanted 2 first round picks plus a player! And what about all the media backlash for not trading for him? We knew exactly what we were doing 😊.
    Yes, our recruiters got a pasting, for not moving heaven and earth, to secure an injury prone footballer, who didn't seem all that interested in playing football.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, our recruiters got a pasting, for not moving heaven and earth, to secure an injury prone footballer, who didn't seem all that interested in playing football.
    Reckon we went through the motions and were never serious about getting him. He approached Harley.

Veterans List
    Really wanted the 178cm Caleb Serong in last year's draft but I was probably influenced by the fact he was a Swans supporter.

Gulden 171cm doesn't worry me, a lot of high tackles whilst buzzing around near goals at that height :-) From what I've read he can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Reckon we went through the motions and were never serious about getting him. He approached Harley.
    An attitude, which if I remember rightly, greatly irked Matthew Lloyd. Which left me wondering, that just maybe, Lloyd had some sort of pro-Essendon bias?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    An attitude, which if I remember rightly, greatly irked Matthew Lloyd. Which left me wondering, that just maybe, Lloyd had some sort of pro-Essendon bias?
    Lots of agendas and conflicts of interest in Melbourne footy media. Eddie McGuire leader of the pack.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post

Height can be overrated. Here's a reminder of what Kieren Jack could do:

Kieren Jack 2016 Highlight Reel - YouTube
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Height can be overrated. Here's a reminder of what Kieren Jack could do:

Kieren Jack 2016 Highlight Reel - YouTube
    Boomer Harvey at 168?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Boomer Harvey at 168?
    True that height isnt everything but I wouldnt want my whole midfield to be made up of small guys. The good thing about Aussie Rules is that there is a position for everyone but a team made up of players of that size would also not be ideal.

Gulden is a good small player who definitely knows how to find the ball. Campbell has a better highlights reel but in a way is a bit like Heeney in that he doesnt amass large numbers very often but he does impact a game with what he does.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    True that height isnt everything but I wouldnt want my whole midfield to be made up of small guys. The good thing about Aussie Rules is that there is a position for everyone but a team made up of players of that size would also not be ideal.

Gulden is a good small player who definitely knows how to find the ball. Campbell has a better highlights reel but in a way is a bit like Heeney in that he doesnt amass large numbers very often but he does impact a game with what he does.
    We'll take both of them. An absolute Monty. No go home factor.