Page 2 of 452 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Read an article about Melbourne and their draft strategy. Talking about Jackson maybe playing some time up forward as well as helping Gawn out in the ruck once he’s ready. They didn’t mention Preuss at all, which makes me think he’ll be lucky to play much senior footy this year , if Gawn has no injury issues.

Depending on how Naismith and Sinclair go next season, I wouldn’t mind us having a crack at Preuss at the end of next year. He’s potentially a very good Ruckman IMO, in the right age bracket around 25 yo and great size at 206cm. Can kick a goal too as he showed against us this year.

Wouldn’t cost much I wouldn’t have thought, and could see him blossoming with the opportunity and responsibility of being the no.1 ruck.
    Don't want Pruess, the stupidest person in the AFL, asked for a trade from Norf because he was stuck behind an ageing Goldy to Melbourne where he's stuck behind Gawn in his prime. Dumb move!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here is a table of picks for 2020

Attachment 2259

You'll have to click to see as the jpeg fill doesn't seem to copy and paste and uploads as an attachment.

PS: Just a note on the system, I find it very difficult to insert tables and sometimes images, even when pasting in the HTML code.
    One thing that I did, that seemed to cut down on the number of 'invalid attachments', was pressing 'preview post' before posting. Not sure if this still works, or if it was just an example of correlation, rather than causation; but hey, it may be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    One thing that I did, that seemed to cut down on the number of 'invalid attachments', was pressing 'preview post' before posting. Not sure if this still works, or if it was just an example of correlation, rather than causation; but hey, it may be worth a try.
    Interestingly, the preview post (which I use a lot) showed the actual table, but when posted it shows the attachment link. I've got some good tables I would like to post, but to get it in a viewable form can take a half hour, so I give up. I was a computer programmer in my working days, so I'm not a total novice at this. I can't figure out how to effectively wrap HTML code so it shows the results rather than the code itself.

Is there an operating manual on this system?

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I said last year before Preuss went to Melbourne that we should be targeting him. I agree wholeheartedly with the above post. I think that he has shown the potential to be one of the leading ruckmen in the competition and is a perfect fit for our needs.

I would love to see us target him again and I can see him maybe wanting out from Melbourne after they signed Jackson
    100%. Surprised they/ he didn’t look at moving on in the trade period just gone , it was obvious him and Gawn in the same team wasn’t viable. Surprised we didn’t ( as far as we know) ask the question as well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Interestingly, the preview post (which I use a lot) showed the actual table, but when posted it shows the attachment link. I've got some good tables I would like to post, but to get it in a viewable form can take a half hour, so I give up. I was a computer programmer in my working days, so I'm not a total novice at this. I can't figure out how to effectively wrap HTML code so it shows the results rather than the code itself.

Is there an operating manual on this system?
    I remember that I had trouble with tables in the past. Can't really recall why? But the last few times that I posted tables, I took a screen shot of the table, saved the screen shot and then used the 'add picture' button to post the table.

As you can possibly tell, my methods of solving computer glitches, are more like a pigeon in a Skinner box, rather than through any expertise.

Way, way, waaaayyyyyyyy to early peeps.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Way, way, waaaayyyyyyyy to early peeps.
    When I started these, I wondered this too but wanted something to talk about during the off-season. These days I reckon: all the recruiters are already thinking about it and working on it and so why not us too? Perhaps a week too early. Next year I might give the new draftees time to arrive first.

Confirmation of the pick situation: Who you should barrack against in 2020: Your club's future picks - AFL.com.au.

We have traded out our 3rd and 4th rounders and got Brisbane's 3rd and Adelaide's 4th rounders in their place. Hopefully we'll finish in front of the Crows this season, so that could be ok. And who knows how Brisbane will go in 2020. Can they repeat their success of 2019? I'm not sure. They'll certainly have a tougher draw, they benefited from a very nice draw in 2019 as well as a charmed run with injuries.

Veterans List
    Is the future of all academies under potential threat?

TWOMEY: Will the 2020 draft be the most compromised in history? - AFL.com.au

Some choice quotes:

"HERE'S the early warning: get ready to hear the word 'compromised' plenty of times next year."

"The naming last week of the under-17s NAB AFL All Stars sides for their Grand Final morning clash at the MCG gave an insight into why clubs are already wondering whether next year's group looks like being one of the most compromised in draft history.

Of the 48 players selected for the game, 17 are tied to AFL clubs around the competition as either potential father-sons, Next Generation Academy picks or northern Academy products."

.....and in conclusion:

"But the talking point about next year's draft will clearly start with how many players are already off-limits, rather than the open pool. It's also something that will be a factor in this year's Trade Period as clubs prepare to part with picks (and draft points) or bring more in."

In the long run I suppose it comes down to clubs being happy that they are getting enough benefit from this current set up or not.....ie: it's safe as long as Eddie is happy?
    Last edited by stevoswan; 2nd December 2019 at 12:40 PM.

Here are the players the pundits reckon we should keep an eye on for next year's draft:

AFL Draft Chris Doerre top 20 prospects for 2020

2020 vision: Cal Twomey's 10 young guns to watch - AFL.com.au

Braeden Campbell features on both lists. Gulden makes it on to Doerre's longer list too.

i think a very interesting stat to review is that Sydney the last 4 years have only had 4 x 1st round draft picks vs say GWS with 10 !!!!!!

we are 9th on the list of most 1st round draft picks last 4 years

I know there were many supporters on here very bullish on going hard at the Draft to solve our 15th on the ladder 2019 performance......... vs trading in accomplished / or serious emerging already pre seasoned players which is a serious challenge and not underestimated ie not being in Victoria

Instead we have regenerated our list we have gone Thurlow, Menzel, Clarke, Gray, Taylor, Brand etc via trading plus drafted talented youth McCartin, Blakey, Rowbottom, Gould, Stephens, Taylor etc

Determining whether we have given ourselves the best opportunity to compete again in the 2020 (like Hawthorn9th, Geelong1st and Collingwood4th have done on the run via significant trades) is still a lottery for me. KB has admitted as much that we dont know until 2/3 year from now if talented youth can become SNR dominant players

im not satisfied yet either way but i do like that we diversified the draft and trading again in 2019 albeit a key player traded in would have been gold

The ruck position still kills me and I have grave concerns of a similar experience to clearing the contest as 2019 which makes it so damn hard to control a game of footy

upside is that if our two guys in the first draft round or two next year are truly serious players then we will have a good batch competing hard and taking it to our young squad
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

If we do pursue, and get, Joe Daniher at season's end, should we consider trading our Reid and rely on McCartin to replace him? This plan would ease the KPF congestion that getting JD might cause and give us some cap relief. Interesting that it never seemed part of the equation when we looking to acquire JD recently. Then again McCartin will have another season of development in him and be more ready to step up and fill the Reid shaped hole.