Page 445 of 452 FirstFirst ... 345395435441442443444445446447448449 ... LastLast
Results 5,329 to 5,340 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Buddy seen at a cafe with Dusty, this week I think.

Do they have a history as friends or is this the beginning of something?

This was reported in the Sunday Tele "Spotted" in the sports section.

I like that that the Swans have said come and train with us........if you show that passion to be a swan we might pick u up March 9......... "IF" you put in 110% effort

There is plenty of upside with Paddy but obviously every other club has found downside and or other options......otherwise he would be on a list by now !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    "Under AFL rules clubs are allowed to invite a maximum of six players to train with the squad from January 6 to trial for a spot on the rookie list during the pre-season supplemental selection period which ends on March 9. They need to submit their list to the AFL by December 18."

So, by Friday we may announce up to 6 players who will come and train with us. That could include Paddy, but the article makes it sound like he's not that keen.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Nice to hear - and sentiments I share. But I'm slightly surprised to hear it said that we have "the best group of kids in the AFL" (bar none). Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Jack Lukosius, Isak Rankine, Ben King, Jeremy Sharp, Ben Ainsworth, Sam Flanders, Connor Budarick etc might raise a collective eyebrow. There are other clubs with good young lists but I don't know them well enough to properly compare: Port, Freo, GWS, maybe Carlton, come to mind. Anyway, the main point is well made: we've got a good list with a lot of promising young talent and the future looks bright.
    I think what you can say legitimately about the Swans squad is that we've managed to get a lot of games into our youngsters, perhaps more than some of those other clubs have managed. I certainly can't remember a time while I've been supporting the Swans when we've had such great young talent - that said, would love to see them supported by some quality mature talent when the opportunity presents itself.

I tend to agree that the Gold Coast young list is the best going around. The test will be whether they can hang onto most of them? We know that's been their historical problem.

It's also not just "talent". I think Auntie.Gerald is on the money with the impact of the whole-of-organisation comments.

I go back to Carlton who received 5 of the last 20 No 1 draft picks - and still managed sfa.

05 was Murphy; 06 Gibbs, and 07 Kreuzer.

Now, Weitering '15 and Walsh in 2018

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's also not just "talent". I think Auntie.Gerald is on the money with the impact of the whole-of-organisation comments.

I go back to Carlton who received 5 of the last 20 No 1 draft picks - and still managed sfa.

05 was Murphy; 06 Gibbs, and 07 Kreuzer.

Now, Weitering '15 and Walsh in 2018
    Carlton after 2000: five finals series, five wooden spoons.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Carlton after 2000: five finals series, five wooden spoons.
    That's because they ceased to be able to game the system like had done for 3 decades. Don't forget that they couldn't help themselves and rorted the salary cap and got heavy draft punishment. They can stay at the bottom for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    That's because they ceased to be able to game the system like had done for 3 decades. Don't forget that they couldn't help themselves and rorted the salary cap and got heavy draft punishment. They can stay at the bottom for eternity.
    I dont blame Carlton for their 80's and 90's. The rules were lacking, and they played to their advantage. All credit. It was the wild west, and they were the biggest gun slinger.

The trouble they found themselves was a 5 or so year period where the rules were tightened up, and they didnt change behaviour.

I think they have done their penance.

I still think the lesson is that early draft picks alone are not enough.

Carlton, and GC and GW$ are further examples.

Swans seem to have succeeded better; and with less "talent" as measured by draft picks.

Hopefully the "whole-of-organisation" at the Swans will continue to have the impact with out improved talent from the picks of recent years.

I just had a chance to look at the GWS website. They've got some fantastic content! They've got a 'behind the draft' video which takes you in the room with the recruiters live before and during the draft: https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/843393/behind-the-draft?videoId=843393&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1607749612001. The most interesting part of that is that they really wanted Tanner Bruhn and were sweating on whether Essendon would take him. Evidently, like us, they rated him right up the pointy end of the draft. (Kin Beatson also gave an interview here he listed a handful of players that we might consider with our pick 3 that included Tanner Bruhn but not Will Phillips.) GWS have got some other good videos too including a fairly candid summation of their draft (which they were really pleased with) and zoom calls between Leon Cameron and a couple of the new draftees immediately after drafting.

GWS evidently succeeded in getting 4 out of the 5 players they were targetting (they had hoped for Heath Chapman as well, who was taken by Freo). Even by their own words the selections they have taken, apart from Tanner, were pretty speculative but they see a lot of upside in the players they've chosen.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)