Page 447 of 452 FirstFirst ... 347397437443444445446447448449450451 ... LastLast
Results 5,353 to 5,364 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    The two most laughable season slogans ever are

Carlton circa 2009 "They know we're coming" and they proceeded to go down the ladder

Essendon's 2012 "Whatever it Takes" as they launched into the drug injections :-)

Still gives me a chuckle
    Yes, and the obvious rejoinder to the Carlton fans, as they left early after another loss, was, 'we can see you going'.

Carlton also had the pearler - 'Can you smell what we're cooking?' about 10 years ago. I think that may have been not long before they sacked Ratts and disappeared from finals.

- - - Updated - - -

For that matter, Collingwood's 'Side by side' is looking pretty sickly these days.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Logan is going to be a gun. These stats are extremely impressive, provided he can continue his improvement.

Why Logan McDonald is better than any key forward drafted these past 15 years. - YouTube
    Yes, I am still very happy that we drafted him. I was preferring DGB on the assumption that North would draft LMcD. When they didn't and we got him instead I was quite happy with that. LMcD is going to learn a lot from Franklin, and having them both in the forward line is going to be quite a handful for the opposition.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    An interesting discussion on the machinations of the first round of this year's draft: Bids, bluffs and frantic calls: Inside 2020's first-round draft frenzy
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    An interesting discussion on the machinations of the first round of this year's draft: Bids, bluffs and frantic calls: Inside 2020's first-round draft frenzy
    I didn't actually watch the daft, but I'd love to know whether there was any appreciable pause between North not picking Logan and the Swans swooping?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I didn't actually watch the daft, but I'd love to know whether there was any appreciable pause between North not picking Logan and the Swans swooping?
    It was impossible to say because the draft process was doctored to allow the TV network five minutes between each of the picks - especially in the first round - so the panel could gab with each other, gush how each draftee is going to change the game of footy and win 25 AA guernseys, and maybe grab an interview with them. Regardless of when each club actually entered their pick, it appeared that they made the selection with just seconds left on the clock.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It was impossible to say because the draft process was doctored to allow the TV network five minutes between each of the picks - especially in the first round - so the panel could gab with each other, gush how each draftee is going to change the game of footy and win 25 AA guernseys, and maybe grab an interview with them. Regardless of when each club actually entered their pick, it appeared that they made the selection with just seconds left on the clock.
    Just like Masterchef where, in a 90 minute time test to make something, all contestants are putting the final touches to their dish with 10, 9, 8, 7 - step away from your plates!

A friend got to the last few contestants one year and his stories about the amount of post production that goes on was very interesting. In those timed contests, lots of the contestants are finished with minutes to go but when it goes to air, those same contestants are shown putting the last garnish on as the buzzer goes :-)

You have to chuckle at the draft, as many have noted previously, every draftee is talked up so highly, even out in the 40's, "Billy Blogs is a great pick up for the Woodpeckers at pick 46, he's got good size, he's got great pace, an accurate kick" etc, etc, (just can't find the ball and few footy smarts not mentioned), yet so many of those highly talked up draftees will be delisted in 2-3 years. We know it's an inexact science and we know it's a production for TV but the "gushing" as Liz correctly called it, is a bit over the top.

With Covid taking hold in Sydney, it's going to be very interesting to see what happens with our preseason resumption. Will it have to be moved to an interstate hub?

Hopefully the NSW Government contact tracing team can get on top of the infections very soon, but alas when they do, it will to late for Christmas festivities.

I think we return to training Wednesday January 6th. Then first preseason game vs GWS is on Saturday 20th February, then Collingwood on Wednesday 3rd March and then round 1 in Brisbane on Saturday 20th March.

So I am guessing we would want to remain in Sydney for our preseason. We will have 8 weeks of preseason training before we need to play the first interstate side Collingwood and 10 weeks of training before round 1. It would be tough on the players to already be in a interstate hub that long before the season starts.
    Last edited by SeanM; 21st December 2020 at 01:20 AM.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Pretty stun that Adelaide wanted two first round draft picks and Stevens; becoming the new Essendon.

The best player JUH was always going to be matched, so why give up three players for one?

These things are remembered by clubs.
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Pretty stun that Adelaide wanted two first round draft picks and Stevens; becoming the new Essendon.

The best player JUH was always going to be matched, so why give up three players for one?

These things are remembered by clubs.
    Yeah pretty outrageous, especially considering we got our guy ( LM) regardless . I imagine we would’ve taken him over RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does not surprise me that the Crows would have a dabble at Stephens. We need to re-sign him in the new year to avoid the go home syndrome.