Page 449 of 452 FirstFirst ... 349399439445446447448449450451452 LastLast
Results 5,377 to 5,388 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was about to post something pretty similar. I have a sneaky feeling he might even have played a couple of NEAFL games in his U16 year.

He's one I expect to be in the U19/development squad, though I don't know if that works the same going forward, given the U18 comp is now an U19 comp. Maybe more spots are available than in prior years, especially with scope to have another NEAFL support squad (that I expect may be a year or two older, on average).

I agree with you that Olsen probably didn't get enough of the ball to stamp himself as an AFL prospect, though I would make (and have made) a similar observation about Sheather at U18 and NEAFL level - some good stuff, some very good stuff, but generally not enough of it. I guess the smaller you are, the more you have to demonstrate you can already do in order to win a list spot.
    Yes, I'm quite curious about the make up of our various squads. It seems that a few academy players, will have the chance to stay in the system a little bit longer. If some of them convert that chance to a list spot, then should encourage more kids to enter the system.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks for the info re Isaiah Olson dvd44 and Liz. The fact that Brandon featured him in an article along with Errol suggested that he must be a player of some potential or promise.

Happy New Year everyone !

I was driving along today thinking that if I was head of recruitment at another club what would I be willing to trade for say Florent, Hayward, Stephens, McCartin etc .......ie the players we are pinning our hopes to ?

Dunkley didnt happen with Pick8 and a second rounder in 2021 to the Bombers.........Bulldogs wanted First round x 2 ie 2020 and 2021

Who in our team could command that same type of offer?

Id say not many? Maybe Parker or a Lloyd to a team like North or Suns etc? Or a Rampe to a Geelong if required for a Premiership chase?

Would any of our youth be seen as key players for opposition teams to bank their future on ?

Bombers did with Caldwell !!!!

The 20-year-old returned home to Victoria and joins the Bombers along with picks 44 and 74 in exchange for pick No.29 (received from Port Adelaide for Orazio Fantasia) and a future second-round selection.

The Bombers then on-traded pick No.74, along with pick No.67, to St Kilda in exchange for Nick Hind and pick No.77.

Taken at pick No.11 in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, Caldwell played 11 matches in two seasons at the Giants, making a name for himself as a strong contested ball-winning midfielder who is also damaging on the outside.

I just wonder whether we see our next batch with rose coloured glassed the last few years?

Is that partially true ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I just wonder whether we see our next batch with rose coloured glassed the last few years?
    Is that partially true ?
    Possibly. But then "the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence" - so I'd suggest some on RWO tend to undervalue what we have, and over value what other teams have. It's a natural proclivity, but I think it's somewhat enhanced by the ludicrously inflated evaluations than young Victorian players are bathed in by the media.

PS I feel about this currant team more in much the same way as in 2003, and even more than 1994.

PPS Happy New Year
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Warming the Bench
    Perhaps time to start a new thread...

But it is interesting to see the list of free agents that are coming up in this year's crop...

Sydney has the following FA (I have put my suggestions as to who to keep and not:

Kaiden Brand* Undecided
    Robbie Fox* KEEPER
    Sam Gray* LET GO
    George Hewett KEEPER
    Josh Kennedy KEEPER
    Sam Naismith Low Contract
    Luke Parker KEEPER
    Sam Reid Low Contract

For those interested, the link to the article is attached.
    AFL 2021, AFL free agents, free agency, list of free agents 2021, restricted, unrestricted, AFL out of contract 2021, players | Fox Sports

It would seem that the two out of that list who are likely to be targeted by rival clubs are Parker and Hewitt. Obviously we want to keep both but it comes down to money, loyalty and chances of ultimate success. A team closer to the premiership window than us could be attractive to Parker given his age. Let's hope not. He is a key player. I wonder how much time is left on his contract? He will be 29 this time next year which is still relatively young but his body has taken a pounding and he is not the quickest but is incredibly tough and skilful.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think the way free agency is going - with good clubs locking down the right players early, and players targeted by other clubs 18 months out and often traded first to yield more value - a better list might be who’s up at end of 2022.

The key thing that list omits is whether players are restricted or unrestricted. After what happened with Jeremy Cameron, I think it’s going to be much harder to recruit RFAs.

Are Parker and Hewett RFA or UFA?

Veteran Site Admin
    Parker will be unrestricted.

Hewett will depend on whether he’s in the top 25% paid players in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    It would seem that the two out of that list who are likely to be targeted by rival clubs are Parker and Hewitt. Obviously we want to keep both but it comes down to money, loyalty and chances of ultimate success. A team closer to the premiership window than us could be attractive to Parker given his age. Let's hope not. He is a key player. I wonder how much time is left on his contract? He will be 29 this time next year which is still relatively young but his body has taken a pounding and he is not the quickest but is incredibly tough and skilful.
    Luke Parker has stated he will not be going anywhere. He loves Sydney. He lives the club and more importantly he found love.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Luke Parker has stated he will not be going anywhere. He loves Sydney. He lives the club and more importantly he found love.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    And his partner has a successful business as an interior designer and renovator in which Luke already plays a key hands-on role. I agree Luke is unlikely to be tempted to go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And his partner has a successful business as an interior designer and renovator in which Luke already plays a key hands-on role. I agree Luke is unlikely to be tempted to go elsewhere.
    The world would be thrown into chaos. I'd have to change my handle on RWO! Luke stays I say.