Page 4 of 452 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    JD will only be on our radar if we can get him for free, we aren't giving picks to get him, we have at least two academy picks to pay for.

Veterans List
    Bloods: Florent was already winning his own ball in the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    JD will only be on our radar if we can get him for free, we aren't giving picks to get him, we have at least two academy picks to pay for.
    I'm not so sure. But he will have to get on the park and show he has a real future in footy first.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Bloods: Florent was already winning his own ball in the second half of the season.
    Absolutely! He's on track and he needs to keep going. He's great because he's pacy and has a good outside game and if he can really consolidate his ball winning he can become a complete, balanced package, and who knows what the future holds. Anyway, one step at a time.

Hayward is a different story. I don't really him ever playing on ball except perhaps pinch hitting a bit. But he is a super talented forward and it's still really valuable if he can win more of his own ball.

Veterans List
    Bennell goes down again......

Harley's hopes of an AFL lifeline take a hit with another calf injury

Our wain in interest in Harley now seems vindicated......I feel for him though. He's been having a red hot crack at resurrecting his career.....of course, it's not over til it's over but it's not looking good.

Tom Papley’s brother Will eligible for this years draft playing for Gippsland via Bunyip. It’s on the Bunyip Football Clubs Facebook page.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Tom Papley’s brother Will eligible for this years draft playing for Gippsland via Bunyip. It’s on the Bunyip Football Clubs Facebook page.
    We should snap him up.....might make Tom stay!

Wait....has he got a Victorian girlfriend yet?!

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    I was keeping an occasional eye on him, during last season's NAB League. He had some productive games early in the year, but then faded out of the side, as the season progressed. I'm now guessing that he was playing as an underager, since he's draft eligible this year? Probably a promising prospect then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    We should snap him up.....might make Tom stay!

Wait....has he got a Victorian girlfriend yet?!
    Maybe the parents will help us out? 'No, Tom; Will wants to go to Sydney and it's up to you to look after him'.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I was keeping an occasional eye on him, during last season's NAB League. He had some productive games early in the year, but then faded out of the side, as the season progressed. I'm now guessing that he was playing as an underager, since he's draft eligible this year? Probably a promising prospect then.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the parents will help us out? 'No, Tom; Will wants to go to Sydney and it's up to you to look after him'.
    IMHO Braeden Campbell is a way better prospect than toms brother.
    Last edited by Mr Magoo; 30th January 2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    IMHO Braeden Campbell is a way better prospect than toms brother.
    Yes, I was going to add something along the lines of; but since we're likely to draft Gulden and Campbell, then another small probably won't be needed. But I thought I might be getting too far ahead of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I was going to add something along the lines of; but since we're likely to draft Gulden and Campbell, then another small probably won't be needed. But I thought I might be getting too far ahead of myself.

Yeah - with the number of small forwards we have added this year plus Campbell and Gulden coming in , both who play generally as Midfielders / small forwards , I doubt we need another. In fact Tom Papley may become pretty good trade ammunition next year (if his form maintains).

A midfielder of reaosnable size who is able to win contested possessions and has some pace would be a target in my view. It wont be too long before both Parker and Kennedy are coming to the end and if we draft with an eye to a year or two down the track that would be my other target.

Interesting article talking about "the five biggest players out of contract this year": AFL trades: The top five out-of-contract players to watch in 2020. Namely Joe Daniher, Brad Crouch, Christian Petracca, Jordan De Goey and Jeremy Cameron. JD and CP rated the biggest chances of leaving, with JD most likely to come to us.

However the more interesting part of the article is identifying the talent GWS might have to lose to keep Cameron. The author reckons they will keep Cameron and, very likely, Zac Williams. But he reckons the Giants will have to shed 2/3 of Jackson Hately, Jye Caldwell, and Xavier O'Halloran with Jeremy Finlayson also being very gettable. These are the ones we should be interested in. However, if we go for JD, I think we won't get in anyone else of note.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Yeah - with the number of small forwards we have added this year plus Campbell and Gulden coming in , both who play generally as Midfielders / small forwards , I doubt we need another. In fact Tom Papley may become pretty good trade ammunition next year (if his form maintains).

A midfielder of reaosnable size who is able to win contested possessions and has some pace would be a target in my view. It wont be too long before both Parker and Kennedy are coming to the end and if we draft with an eye to a year or two down the track that would be my other target.
    Yes, I was a little bit surprised, that in the last draft, we didn't take an inside mid earlier. So I would think another tough midfielder is still a priority. That being said, I do have a good feeling about Warner, and I am happy with our haul. I also think that Gulden can play above his weight. One quarter of his that really impressed me, was the last quarter of the NEAFL final against Sydney Uni: in which we made a spectacular comeback. One reason for that, was that at centre bounces, as soon as a Sydney Uni player got possession, they were usually driven into the ground by Gulden.

Although this season, I am looking forward to how we use all the pace we have. Hopefully lots of quick, skilful ball movement, that will leave opponents run off their feet.