Page 51 of 452 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    A horribly depressing article in the Age: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl-...24-p55f24.html

"The Sydney Swans, one of the most admired football clubs in Australia, are in the early stages of their biggest crisis in a quarter of a century... The bad news is that they are at a low ebb and do not look like threatening for a premiership for several seasons. Their dedicated red and white army is about to have to show how loyal it really is."

Is it really going to be that bad?

The article contains this interesting bit of information:

"They sit at the tip of a healthy AFL iceberg in NSW. The code claims more than 250,000 participants in the state, which makes it twice the size of rugby league and more than seven times bigger than rugby union."
    That journalist doesn't see this years draft haul :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    A horribly depressing article in the Age: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl-...24-p55f24.html

"The Sydney Swans, one of the most admired football clubs in Australia, are in the early stages of their biggest crisis in a quarter of a century... The bad news is that they are at a low ebb and do not look like threatening for a premiership for several seasons. Their dedicated red and white army is about to have to show how loyal it really is."

Is it really going to be that bad?

The article contains this interesting bit of information:

"They sit at the tip of a healthy AFL iceberg in NSW. The code claims more than 250,000 participants in the state, which makes it twice the size of rugby league and more than seven times bigger than rugby union."
    Maybe a reasonable point re: the loyalty of the Sydney crowds. They weren’t great last year from memory , i wonder what they would have been like this year ( based on our performances , not contending and no Buddy ) had COVID not had a say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an article about Papley on the AFL app.

Among other things discusses his ‘skyrocketing’ trade value. Two good first round picks or one ‘great’ first round pick is the going rate apparently according to some unnamed sources from other clubs. Could command a salary close to 1 Million a season too according to the piece!

And he is contracted until 2023. Still hope we keep him. Perhaps a renegotiated contract / extension is due for young Paps. I fear our holiday down the bottom of the ladder is a lot longer if we lose him too .

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    There is an article about Papley on the AFL app.

Among other things discusses his ‘skyrocketing’ trade value. Two good first round picks or one ‘great’ first round pick is the going rate apparently according to some unnamed sources from other clubs. Could command a salary close to 1 Million a season too according to the piece!

And he is contracted until 2023. Still hope we keep him. Perhaps a renegotiated contract / extension is due for young Paps. I fear our holiday down the bottom of the ladder is a lot longer if we lose him too .

This article got me thinking about what trade we would be happy with for Papley. I think a young quality mid and an up and coming ruckman might do it. Don't know much about Carlton's list but how do people feel about Paddy Dow? Could Tom De Koning develop into a quality ruck? No point getting in older players as I think we won't be competing for a flag for a few more years. Interesting to see what happens here

Sent from my vivo 1902 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    This article got me thinking about what trade we would be happy with for Papley. I think a young quality mid and an up and coming ruckman might do it. Don't know much about Carlton's list but how do people feel about Paddy Dow? Could Tom De Koning develop into a quality ruck? No point getting in older players as I think we won't be competing for a flag for a few more years. Interesting to see what happens here

Any trade would be a loss. Heart and soul. Future premiership player.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    No question he's clearly an excellent player and well liked by the group. I just wonder if there's a trade we'd be happy with to allow him to go

Papley contracted till 2023 is the key. Seems very happy this season compared to last when all this trade talk got the better of him which affected his form (loved his goal celebration leap over Hayward last week). This gives me optimism Paps will remain a Swan as this covid-19 season has changed the footy landscape dramatically. As Melbourne Blood mentioned above, the club could be planning to renegotiate his contract once the reduced salary caps is known.

While I applaud everyone's optimism on Papley staying, I think that he will again ask for a trade at year's end. He spent a lot of time back home during the Covid break period which probably stoked his longing to be living back closer to home. If this is the case, we can rightfully ask for a minimum of a top 10 draft pick for him, perhaps better (top5). He will likely be an All-Aust this year and our leading goal kicker so his trade value is probably at its peak now. The beauty is he is still under contract. When we lost Mitchell and Jones they were coming out of contract. Our bargaining position was far less then for that reason and the pick we received in return reflected that reality.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    This

If we lose him we are effectively becoming a feeder club for the Victorian teams and we will stay in our current position for a long time

I've been prepared for at least a medium term rebuild for a while. I agree that we are still a few years away from that "premiership window'. That's why it's important to have Franklin, JPK and a few other experienced players healthy and in good form the next couple of years, to help smooth things out.

The Bulldogs and GC, who played last night, are going to be a couple of very strong sides for the next decade. And they're not the only ones we have to leapfrog over to win a premiership. I think we have enough young talent on our list, but putting it all together is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Maybe a reasonable point re: the loyalty of the Sydney crowds. They weren’t great last year from memory , i wonder what they would have been like this year ( based on our performances , not contending and no Buddy ) had COVID not had a say.
    The drop in crowds has a lot to do with the venue. While it has a lot of great memories, the SCG is pretty poor from a spectator viewpoint compared to most other grounds these days.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The drop in crowds has a lot to do with the venue. While it has a lot of great memories, the SCG is pretty poor from a spectator viewpoint compared to most other grounds these days.
    I don’t go there often enough to comment. It’s always enjoyable when I do go but when it’s once every couple of years you don’t take too much notice I suppose, just happy to be there ! Did check those numbers , averaged around 31k at home games last year . Down from 34k previous 2 seasons and 41k in 2016 !