Page 9 of 452 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    From what I have seen of Hately and Caldwell, both would be in our best 22. In terms of midfield development, they are ahead of Rowbottom, McInerney and Florent. Both would be worth at least a late first rounder / early second, if not more, depending on what they do this year.
    I’ll give you the first two but not Florent, no way! He’s a pretty consistent contributor now and still on an upward trajectory I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I’ll give you the first two but not Florent, no way! He’s a pretty consistent contributor now and still on an upward trajectory I feel.

Poor Ollie keeps getting chopped around, at times expected to provide run off HB, other times as a link from HF, then in the midfield. Let's hope he plays only midfield this year and can take his game to the next level.

According to the AFL live stats, Ollie had the most metres gained of anyone (573) Harry C was second (510) with Cumming third (465). Ollie had 24 disposals (18K, 6H) but at an efficiency of only 50% and 4 clearances. Which puts him equal 3rd behind JPK (8) and Parker (5). Others to get 4 clearances were the much maligned Naismith and Sam Gray. McInerney, Hewett, Sinkers and Rowrowrowyourbottom all had 2.

We are clearly a side in transition. Hopefully that was as bad as it's going to get for 2020 and getting more onball time into Florent, Blakey, Rowbottom, Stephens etc means they are going to improve over the course of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It's a good question. Pretty much everyone that has left GWS has returned to their home state - rafts of them to Victoria, Lobb and McCarthy to WA. There might be some exceptions but I think that may be the major explanation. Nevertheless I hope we are trying to recruit from their juicy talent pool. Caldwell and Hately look particularly attractive options for us. How can GWS possibly hope to hold on to everyone. Realistically they probably can't, so we've got a hope. But then the question arises how much are we prepared to pay? What would you give for Caldwell or Hately? Pick 5? Pick 10? Pick 15? Pick 20? Then what will GWS release them for?

If we finish down the ladder again, our draft and trade position will be strengthened. Not that I am for one second suggesting tanking - I think we need to try our best to win every match, although not necessarily at the expense of getting games into our young talent.
    GWS have been very astute about maintaining a never ending pipeline of early draft picks. They take a look at them for a year or two, keep the best, and trade away the rest. Carlton has been a rich hunting ground because they see that GWS are offering a top 5 pick and cant control themselves. Even though, GWS have internally marked them as only a top 30 pick in quality.

Its the fish that GWS reject, that make GWS strong. Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    GWS have been very astute about maintaining a never ending pipeline of early draft picks. They take a look at them for a year or two, keep the best, and trade away the rest. Carlton has been a rich hunting ground because they see that GWS are offering a top 5 pick and cant control themselves. Even though, GWS have internally marked them as only a top 30 pick in quality.

Of courses GWS work to hang on to their best players but that doesn't mean the ones that leave are no good. The key is to pay an appropriate price. Shiels, Treloar, Adams, Scully, Hoskin-Elliott, Patton, Setterfield, Kennedy, Bruce, Plowman, Wilson, Frost are all decent players. However some of them have been overpaid for and others have not. Swans should know better than any other club the worth of GWS players given the frequency with which we play them (at all levels).

Senior Player

Not difficult to be smart traders and drafters when you were gifted a multitude of early picks from the git go. When the Swans landed in Sydney, all they got were Sydney street directories And bugger all else. Reckon GWS have underachieved big time given everything- and they spat the dummy when they didn't get Buddy as well. Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Not difficult to be smart traders and drafters when you were gifted a multitude of early picks from the git go. When the Swans landed in Sydney, all they got were Sydney street directories And bugger all else. Reckon GWS have underachieved big time given everything- and they spat the dummy when they didn't get Buddy as well. Joke.
    Have definitely underachieved. Can have all the talent in the world but a lack of history, of club legends to tell you what it fells like to win a flag, or how much it hurts to lose a Grannie, or never make it , plus no real supporter base with any passion etc. I doubt they’ll ever win , nor for 20 years or so anyway ( if they don’t fold in the meantime )

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    To be accurate, Swans landing in Sydney with an established playing list. (not a great one, but one that could compete from day one), but no preferential access to new players as far as I'm aware.
    GWS landed in sydney with a playing list of zero (which aint going to win many games), but a large preferential access to new players via the draft.

GWS's tragectory has, by and large, followed that of other "successful start-ups" with zero players: West Coast and Adelaide, who may not have been given draft picks but were given access to SA and WA players.

Comparing Swans and GWS first 10 years is like like comparing apples to oranges.

GWS would want to land a flag within the next few years to stay in the company of WC or Adelaide.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    To be accurate, Swans landing in Sydney with an established playing list. (not a great one, but one that could compete from day one), but no preferential access to new players as far as I'm aware.
    If memory serves the Swans were given access to local players very early on, probably because the VFL realised the locals weren't up to much. The exception was Terry Thripp but his interest in the game had more to do with an ex Collingwood player father than a Sydney kids enthusiasm for aerial ping pong.

FWIW I think the injury plague that hit the Giants midfielders last year has accelerated the development of some of the lesser names. If they get most of their team on the park I think they'll take the flag.

Taking away my Swans bias, I think that GWS have managed their list very well and made sure that when they lost a good young player they generally received good compensation. They have been in the competition one year less than Gold Coast and had the same initial concessions. The comparison between the two Clubs is stark. They played off in the Grand Final last year. If the injury gods are with them this year then they can go all the way. No obvious deficiencies on their list now whereas our list has serious holes at present. When GWS first entered the competition I thought that we would dominate them - on and off the field. I even thought we would poach some of their talent over time. How wrong was I! They have a vastly superior list to us and while they are still much smaller than us financially and in members they have made great strides in these areas too. We have never managed to poach any of their talent (Cunningham was a reject from them). Hats off to them. We are going to have to lift to get back on a par with them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    If memory serves the Swans were given access to local players very early on, probably because the VFL realised the locals weren't up to much. The exception was Terry Thripp but his interest in the game had more to do with an ex Collingwood player father than a Sydney kids enthusiasm for aerial ping pong.

FWIW I think the injury plague that hit the Giants midfielders last year has accelerated the development of some of the lesser names. If they get most of their team on the park I think they'll take the flag.
    I think GWS have really struggled off-field. And a lot of injuries is probably the result of a sub-standard medical,conditioning and training department. They would need to sort that out before they hope to "get most of their team on the park". They will need to do that if they want to win a flag.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Taking away my Swans bias, I think that GWS have managed their list very well and made sure that when they lost a good young player they generally received good compensation. They have been in the competition one year less than Gold Coast and had the same initial concessions. The comparison between the two Clubs is stark. They played off in the Grand Final last year. If the injury gods are with them this year then they can go all the way. No obvious deficiencies on their list now whereas our list has serious holes at present. When GWS first entered the competition I thought that we would dominate them - on and off the field. I even thought we would poach some of their talent over time. How wrong was I! They have a vastly superior list to us and while they are still much smaller than us financially and in members they have made great strides in these areas too. We have never managed to poach any of their talent (Cunningham was a reject from them). Hats off to them. We are going to have to lift to get back on a par with them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    As I said, given an absolute saloon passage into the AFL. Only a clown could mess things up in terms of success for GWS. Only thing needed was patience as the gilt edged list developed.