Page 253 of 452 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303353 ... LastLast
Results 3,025 to 3,036 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    That’s exactly my point too. If other teams are coming for AA then we should get something of value while we can, rather than wait until he’s out of contract and get shafted again ( Mitchell , Jones .. ) Jones was worth a pick 22 at worst , we got 31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the trade value of players is WAY under what they are actually worth, perhaps because the system currently favours VIC clubs.

Zak Jones, pick 15 now 25 years old, just played 100 games, so in his prime. If you factor in the hit and miss nature of drafting [I'm sure someone out there could provide the probability of a pick 15 making it] then surely he's worth pick 15 or better?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I actually tend to agree to an extent, but given we're now 4 full seasons down the track, you would have to say we've probably mismanaged him then if all he's done since is be tried forward a few times and been used as a makeshift ruck when we've got desperate.

Those games in 2016 between Rd 16 to the SF were really good - but they were games 3-12 of his career. He'd done a reasonable apprenticeship in the reserves prior and was playing with confidence, which we've only seen in the briefest of glimpses since.

In 2017-18 we were at least still playing finals so you could argue that we couldn't afford to persevere or experiment in trying to nurture him into form, but the last two years would have been the perfect opportunity to give him a proper extended run at being a key defender. He has to hold down one role and be a second ruck option, but I think in Longmire's eyes he is behind other players in every other area.
    Agree with every word of this.

When Aliir got injured in the 2016 preliminary final it felt material to our premiership prospects the following week - he seemed that influential.

I don't think he's gotten to that level again. So, as with Rohan, there's a question as to the extent that's on the club or the player. And as with Rohan, I can't help but feel we've eroded his confidence a bit by not conveying trust in him. It's a bit sad.

But looking at it bluntly, the question is what prospect is there of him playing an influential role now, based on the last year or two. I think he could, but the last line of Steve's post is telling. Longmire seems to have given up on him playing an important role in defence and I suspect we have ambitions to move beyond needing him in a makeshift ruck role.

So we get back to forthcoming trade and draft period. Let's say we want to use pick 3, draft Campbell and Gulden between picks 6-25, and somehow recruit a competent ruck. Those things aren't going to happen unless we give something up. There are very few players on the list with any value that we'd be happy to give up. If Port are prepared to pay overs for Aliir (e.g a pick in the late 20s), I think we'll take it. The reports they've offered a contract and absence of any public push back from us, suggests there's something to it, I reckon.

Senior Player
    I suppose Aliir could tell Port he signed a contract to play for the Swans in 2021 and will be honoring it.
    That'd be novel.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    So we get back to forthcoming trade and draft period. Let's say we want to use pick 3, draft Campbell and Gulden between picks 6-25, and somehow recruit a competent ruck. Those things aren't going to happen unless we give something up. There are very few players on the list with any value that we'd be happy to give up. If Port are prepared to pay overs for Aliir (e.g a pick in the late 20s), I think we'll take it. The reports they've offered a contract and absence of any public push back from us, suggests there's something to it, I reckon.
    Port would be unwilling to give up their picks (26, 31, 39, 51, 53, 89) because they have two prospects (one Academy, one F/S) they want to draft.

Their first prospect is Lachlan Jones (NGA) and he's ranked #9 on the October Draft Central Power Rankings. By comparison, the same rankings has Campbell at #7 and Gulden at #29 (out of 30).

Their other prospect is Taj Schofield (F/S). He's not ranked in the top 30, but could conceivably end up being drafted late in the second round or early third round (perhaps by Port with pick 39).

If Jones is drafted at #10 and Schofield at #30, Port would have enough points but not by much. They would not be willing to part with their first three picks.

If Port are not willing to give up a ruckman for Aliir, I expect Port to be trading future picks. Their future second-round pick may not be enough, but their future first-round pick may be overs. However, as Aliir is a contracted player, the first demand should be Port's future first-round pick, and proceed from there.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I suppose Aliir could tell Port he signed a contract to play for the Swans in 2021 and will be honoring it.
    That'd be novel.
    That's a crazy suggestion....

Also Aliir is one of our most marketable players, probably third behind Buddy and Heeney. That's gonna count for something too.

According to SEN, Saints are offloading 2 players to Crows in order to give them the cap space to pay Crouch enough to trigger pick 2 as RFA compo.

The two Saints who could be off to Adelaide as part of Crouch negotiations

I wonder if that will happen? Damien Barratt is adamant they won’t get pick 2

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    According to SEN, Saints are offloading 2 players to Crows in order to give them the cap space to pay Crouch enough to trigger pick 2 as RFA compo.

Seems a bit dodgy, taking players off the saints books just so they can pay Crouch more and drive up the Compo pick? Essentially draft tampering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If ever there was a reason for a trade ban, this might be it....

I don't think the Swans would trade Aliir without getting a ruckman from Port or a pick they can use to get a ruckman from another club. I know some here don't rate ruckmen but without being at least nullify the opposition ruckman it's hard to dominate in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    If ever there was a reason for a trade ban, this might be it....
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

If the SEN report is right, that's very handy for Brad Crouch! Nearly an extra $1m (over 5 years).

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's pretty cheeky for Port to come for our contracted player and rule out both of their two understudy ruckman who might satisfy us. Of course, if those players were unwilling, it's academic. I would happily do a straight swap for Ladhams. I don't think Hayes is worth as much because he's completely unproven but I think he's worth getting. So, if we take a pick then we would want to have another deal lined up for that pick to get us a ruckman or some other important need.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

There will be a deserved outcry if Adelaide achieves number 2 pick for Crouch.