Page 143 of 452 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,705 to 1,716 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Suspended by the MRP
    List cuts impending most likely after our final game against the Cats.

I'm expecting the casualties to include Maibaum, Ronke, Reynolds, Stoddart, Rowles, Amartey and Knoll.

Question marks over Foot, Ling, Bell, Wicks, McLean .. have they shown enough??

And what do we do with Naismith? Stick fat or just cut our losses ?
    Last edited by TheBloods; 18th September 2020 at 06:37 PM.

Veterans List
    Contracts, dear RWO'ers, contracts . If a player has a contract for 2021 he'll be on the list.

Not sure any of us are clued up enough to know who is definitely out of contract.

We'll find out soon enough

Hey TheBloods, in your post above, I'm assuming you have a low opinion of Rowbottom? :-)

Ling has to stay, only Pre seadon he has done is the stop start 2020

He is capable, bidy finally ready.... Needs a proper preseason before heis judged properly

He did everything tough in defence that Bell was lauded for in the fwd line

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Seems a bit extreme. While they currently have picks 2 and 10 in the first round, and an early second rounder, they don't have another pick until the fourth round. So, to replace those that they've culled, the either have to get lucky at the bottom end of the draft and the rookie draft, or trade players in. I'm not sure how attractive an option North would be, for players open to changing clubs, since they're now probably favourites for next year's wooden spoon.
    I figure the think the dregs of 17 other clubs this year will give them a few diamonds in the rough.

I assume TheBloods was stirring about Rowbottom.

Lots of good posts.

I think that with the decrease in list sizes, it means that lots of pretty good players will be delisted. So other clubs, like North, are positioning themselves to pick up other clubs' cast-offs that better fill their needs due to either the role they can play or age profile or whatever. North's list is all wrong because they thought they were closer to contending than in fact they are so they need to seriously rebuild and that must be why they are cutting so many. I reckon there'll be a lot of more fringey players switching clubs this year. Could be lots of opportunities for lots of clubs.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

That's a big cut by North. Reviewing the cut players reveals the depth of mediocrity of their list. I was surprised by delisting of Jamie McMillan. He's only 29 and has been a regular in the side for a long time.

North's situation is a lot different than ours. They decided to top up with a lot of established players, a strategy that ended badly this year.

Sam Durdin, taken at pick 16 in 2014 was among those cut. For me, that's a fair go. You give a player that came to the club with a high potential 6 years to see it they can develop into something. He had a lot of injuries and in the end, he really wasn't very good.

That's a lot different than looking to cut a developing player after 3 years, like some have suggested with Ling and Stoddart.

North are roughly where we were 4 years ago, except that we were the best team in 2016 and North are just about the worst. They are just now starting the process of rebuilding through the draft. They will fill some spots with uncontracted players, as they've done in recent years.

I can't see us making the same kind of hard cull, but who knows. North recognise that they have problems, while our coaches and senior players believe in the young group coming through.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 18th September 2020 at 06:37 PM.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    List cuts impending most likely after our final game against the Cats.

I'm expecting the casualties to include Maibaum, Ronke, Reynolds, Stoddart, Rowbottom, Amartey and Knoll.

Question marks over Foot, Ling, Bell, Wicks, McLean .. have they shown enough??

And what do we do with Naismith? Stick fat or just cut our losses ?

Rowbottom WTF. he's a future captain of the Swannies.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Rowbottom WTF. he's a future captain of the Swannies.
    Oops. That was supposed to be Rowles. Got the two mixed up. Will amend my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    I figure the think the dregs of 17 other clubs this year will give them a few diamonds in the rough.
    Yes, that might be what they're thinking, but I doubt if other team's delistings, are going to be all that much better than their own delistings. Especially from teams who have only delisted 4 or 5.

I also suspect that their management, want to send a motivating message to the players that survived the cull. Something along the lines of: if you don't perform, then you're out. Unfortunately, some players will probably interpret that message as: looks like management are arseholes, perhaps I'll be better off somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I saw an interview on twitter with a Tla player agent this morning who said they (AFL and Union) are closing in on a list size including cat A rookies of 42 for 2020. Given the current size is 44 (38 + 6) this is only a cut of 2.
    But we have lust if 38 listed. 6 cat a rookies. 2 cat b rookies (O’Connor and Wicks)

I don’t know what the plan is for cat b. I reckon they want to add 3 draftees and wicks to the main list at least.

So say our list is 38 main list and 4 rookies for next year. That’s 4 you need to cut right there from the main list.

So maybe they cut from the main: Ronke, brand, e Taylor, stoddart

Swap Naismith and amartey and shift O’Connor to cat a rookie

Cut Maibaum, Knoll, Rowled from the rookie

Maybe trade Ronke, E Taylor and Stoddart for our pick 4 for North’s pick 3. North need the manpower ( did Shaw used to coach Ronke). And we might have a chance if getting Tilthorpe then.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Seems a bit extreme. While they currently have picks 2 and 10 in the first round, and an early second rounder, they don't have another pick until the fourth round. So, to replace those that they've culled, the either have to get lucky at the bottom end of the draft and the rookie draft, or trade players in. I'm not sure how attractive an option North would be, for players open to changing clubs, since they're now probably favourites for next year's wooden spoon.
    They get Corr as a free agent, and maybe a few others.