Page 279 of 452 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329379 ... LastLast
Results 3,337 to 3,348 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Just on Geelong though, Cameron is a great get but Smith and potentially Higgins reek of short term desperation for a flag. Which is fine, but at what cost ? They’ll both probably come cheapish $ wise but they’ll be keeping guys out who will turn around soon enough and put their hand up to get a game somewhere else. It’s a bit of a pyramid scheme type deal , it’s bound to come crashing down at some point , hopefully ( for them ) they’ve stolen a flag before it does !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Pick 7 compo for JD. It’s substantial for a guy that’s played 15 games in 3 years ..
    But a lot less than the Dodo knocked back last year.

However, if they can prize Carlton’s first rounder for Saad (debatable) they’ll have 6, 7 and 8 and may try and turn 7&8 into the pick 2 it looks more and more likely the Crows will get for Crouch.

RFA is a joke when teams can engineer contracts to ensure high compensation, which every club pays for, so they can get a player for nothing.

I know we benefitted from it with Buddy for nothing, but the impact on all the other clubs was much smaller. Why the hell should we have to lose a lot of points because Saints are prepared to pay way overs for Brad Crouch so they get him for nothing?

Just on Geelong though, Cameron is a great get but Smith and potentially Higgins reek of short term desperation for a flag. Which is fine, but at what cost ? They’ll both probably come cheapish $ wise but they’ll be keeping guys out who will turn around soon enough and put their hand up to get a game somewhere else. It’s a bit of a pyramid scheme type deal , it’s bound to come crashing down at some point , hopefully ( for them ) they’ve stolen a flag before it does !

Agree. What is the impact of this decision on the careers of Jordan Clark and others?

The poor kids are all tied up in long contracts so there’s nothing they can do about it. If they want to leave, Cats will make clubs pay thru the nose. Look at how they screwed WCE for an out-of-contract Tim Kelly!?!

Picks 14, 24, 37 and a future first rounder! Compare that to what we got for a future Brownlow medallist?

One player who it might be worth pursuing is Jarrod Brander at the Weagles: pick 13 in 2017, 195cm, can’t break into their forward line.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I think that’s an excellent suggestion and hopefully something like that gets looked at. This current system can’t go on, for exactly the reasons you stated. You either take all your picks in the draft , take some of them and trade some for players , or get rid of all of them and go hard on trades. Surely you can’t have your cake and eat it too like the Geelong scenario.
    Such a system can be a fair way of dealing with compensation picks when free agents go both ways. Any FA points deficit comes off the FA compo picks first.

Another refinement would be to get rid of the end of first round and end of second round compensation. Replace these with picks halfway between the first and second round. For the bottom side, an end of first round compensation pick would be replaced with one that falls after pick 10. Its a rule of nine: go nine spots in the draft away to find the position of the compensation pick.

End of first round compensation picks under this system (which ignores additional picks):
    1->10, 2->11, 3->12, 4->13, 5->14, 6->15, 7->16, 8->17, 9->18. (first round)
    10->19, 11->20, 12->21, 13->22, 14->23, 15->24, 16->25, 17->26, 18->27 (second round). Pick 19 could also count as a first-round pick because the club missed the finals.

The system I proposed has another benefit. It would protect bottom clubs better from player raids. If a club raiding the bottom side of a star player had to pony up 80% of the value of pick 2 for that player, they would think more carefully about such a decision. If they did not have enough points, the free agency recruitment could be disallowed.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    But a lot less than the Dodo knocked back last year.

However, if they can prize Carlton’s first rounder for Saad (debatable) they’ll have 6, 7 and 8 and may try and turn 7&8 into the pick 2 it looks more and more likely the Crows will get for Crouch.

RFA is a joke when teams can engineer contracts to ensure high compensation, which every club pays for, so they can get a player for nothing.

I know we benefitted from it with Buddy for nothing, but the impact on all the other clubs was much smaller. Why the hell should we have to lose a lot of points because Saints are prepared to pay way overs for Brad Crouch so they get him for nothing?
    I think it’s murky whether we actually offered the two first rounders, just that we asked if that would get it done and were rebuked. At this stage our best ( non) trade move in years !! Suck it Dodo

Veterans List
    Pick 7 compo for JD. It’s substantial for a guy that’s played 15 games in 3 years ..

It's a joke. We have a draft that is supposed to be helping equalisation. I am with the idea that compensation picks are slotted in after the bottom 8 have had their pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    It's a joke. We have a draft that is supposed to be helping equalisation. I am with the idea that compensation picks are slotted in after the bottom 8 have had their pick.
    Another great idea, in terms of equalisation though thunder shaker is into a good thing. The top sides can’t keep plundering the bottom sides and give nothing up.

I think it’s murky whether we actually offered the two first rounders, just that we asked if that would get it done and were rebuked. At this stage our best ( non) trade move in years !! Suck it Dodo
    Allegedly we were prepared to offer pick 5 and another first rounder (9 from Carlton or our future which is 3) but never offered it because Dodo refused to entertain it.

Bottom line is Dodo rolled the dice, and lost big time: paid a year's salary and lost at least one first round draft pick.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    This would disadvantage bottom sides that lose a star player. If a bottom side lost a star player and earned a compensation pick, they should receive the full value of that pick just like any other side. Would they get two picks, perhaps? (Example: a bottom side that would earn pick 2 instead gets pick 9, and the rest of the value of pick 2 in points, which would be pick 17.)

If the club receiving a player via free agency was forced to pay a fair draft price for that player (80% of the value of the compo pick in draft points), there would be fewer instances of massive contracts being handed out, so there would be fewer cases where a bottom side received a high draft pick.

Another thing that the 80% price does is it would gimp a top club's draft so much that they could lose all of their points-bearing picks, and then have to offer a lower contract to keep the price down. They could then be outbid by a mid-ladder club. Another win for equalisation IMO.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Just thinking about how we juggle our list. Maibaum (R), Rowles (R), Knoll (R) and Stoddart gone. Contract permitting, ET should be gone. Ling and Foot put on Rookie list. That will leave us 4 main list spots for Campbell, Gulden, Pick 3 and upgrade Wicks. If we can get a ruck, then Naismith retires? One of McLean (my preference) and Amartey to remain on rookie list with the other a delist. Final washup would be we reduce our overall list size by 1.

Regular in the Side
    Why 80%? 100% would be far fairer.