Page 26 of 452 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Ouch. That’s brutal, and surprising that they’ve kept a first year coach in McVeigh ahead of him.
    (I reckon) McVeigh is Longmire's successor.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    (I reckon) McVeigh is Longmire's successor.
    I think Horse thinks he is

This article is probably stating the obvious, but ...

Category: | Herald Sun

Tadhg Kennelly’s closest friends have rallied around the Swans premiership great, who is said to be “absolutely devastated” by his shock sidelining from the club... “I popped over at his place that night (he was cut) to have a beer with him and check in, and he’s absolutely devastated,” said former teammate, Heath Grundy.

Swans chief Tom Harley says the decision to have to stand down favourite sons Kennelly, Maxfield and Holden was one of the most agonising moments he’s endured in football. “People like Tadhg who have been unbelievable contributors to our club and to the game more broadly … as an industry we’re poorer for it and as a club we’re poorer for it.”

Veterans List
    Tadhg has been stood down, not sacked. Hopefully it is only short term.

Hearing Melb media reporting we could have serious cap issues in the next 2 years & retaining some of our young guns, if the CBA later this year reduces TPP as is expected. They site Buddy's remaining 2 year contract worth $2.3m is locked in stone and can't be altered as we had agreed to with the AFL when we first signed Buddy as RFA. Melb Media now saying that the AFL had originally warned us the risk with Buddy's contract and reckoning it might now come back to bite us! Surely that can't be right or fair if the AFL decides to reduce every player's payment by x% due to this unforeseen circumstance with covid-19 but not Buddy's? Sounds to me certain people in the media would like to see us get punished again for getting Buddy, after we'd already received (unfair) 2 year trade ban followed by losing COLA.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Hearing Melb media reporting we could have serious cap issues in the next 2 years & retaining some of our young guns, if the CBA later this year reduces TPP as is expected. They site Buddy's remaining 2 year contract worth $2.3m is locked in stone and can't be altered as we had agreed to with the AFL when we first signed Buddy as RFA. Melb Media now saying that the AFL had originally warned us the risk with Buddy's contract and reckoning it might now come back to bite us! Surely that can't be right or fair if the AFL decides to reduce every player's payment by x% due to this unforeseen circumstance with covid-19 but not Buddy's? Sounds to me certain people in the media would like to see us get punished again for getting Buddy, after we'd already received (unfair) 2 year trade ban followed by losing COLA.
    If that's true it will be an absolute joke. The salary cap reduction is totally different to the reason the Buddy clause was added. Hopefully the media is bored and are just making up controversial stories!

That's interesting. I bet the swans were punting on TPP rising and therefore buddy's contact becomes lower as a %.

Suspended by the MRP
    Not just anti-Swans media. FC the other night had Caro Wilson airing the same concerns. She has been fair to us in the past and I don't see why she would cast doubts on us if they weren't grounded in truth.

However I am confident the AFL and the Swans will be able to work something out. They don't want us to dominate, but they don't want us in the bottom four for the next decade either.

If it was us punting on increases in the salary cap and all and sundry could see they weren't going to happen - then I could understand us having to wear it as such.

But noone saw Covid-19 coming in 2012, that is for sure. It would be truly double jeopadry if we were then not given any reasonable opportunity to seek a compromise solution. We won't be the only club under a massive squeeze imho, which is our best hope for a way out if it is really a massive issue.

Surely if there is a wide TPP reduction, then there will have to be basically an across the game pay cut - or a large chunk of clubs will be up the creek.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Essendon will be lobbying the AFL hard on this.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Essendon will be lobbying the AFL hard on this.
    Perhaps we should join them.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    So 800+ players getting a pay cut but not Buddy. That clause also applies to every other RFA that moved clubs. Melbourne media are wankers!