Page 161 of 452 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,932 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Ben brown officially on the market. Guy kicked 60 + goals three years in a row, he’s no mug. North would probably want a first rounder though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Correct, how much has anyone on here actually seen of potential draftees every year? We all just go on the thumbnail highlights packages and write ups to form an opinion.

Ever noticed how when you read a potential "Top 20" Phantom draft that every player seems so desirable? Then they get in the system, a couple become stars (not necessarily the suggested top picks) a few are duds, and the rest are very good to just role players.

That's where the recruiters who watch heaps of games live, watch hundreds more games on video and hone down to what players can do, what will translate to AFL senior level, what faults are coachable out and what faults are terminal.

In KB & Dalrymple we trust. Hopefully three elite kickers this draft :-)
    Apart from this year they go to games to see them in the flesh. We have scouts in all states all working to the same blue print.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Ben brown officially on the market. Guy kicked 60 + goals three years in a row, he’s no mug. North would probably want a first rounder though

Tell 'em they're dreamin'.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Tell 'em they're dreamin'.
    It’s interesting. JD had one 60+ goal year, didn’t play hardly any footy the following 2 seasons and was still worth 2 first rounders.

I know BB doesn’t have the X factor of a JD but on the metric of goal kicking he’s far superior based on both of their best 3 seasons ( and career over all ).

They will probably get a first round pick for him, just not from us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I think he was kept as he had a contract.
    Actually, I was surprised we got him in the first place. Leopards don't change their spots as the saying goes.

Senior Player
    It’s interesting. JD had one 60+ goal year, didn’t play hardly any footy the following 2 seasons and was still worth 2 first rounders.

I know BB doesn’t have the X factor of a JD but on the metric of goal kicking he’s far superior based on both of their best 3 seasons ( and career over all ).

They will probably get a first round pick for him, just not from us.

Essendon imposed a 'favourite son' tax, whereas North are holding a fire sale.

I guess the question is: why did Brown slump so much this year?

That goalscoring record is compelling. But for me, I just don't see that kind of player fitting in at the Swans - I think we want our forwards to be more versatile in how they win the ball and kick goals.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Essendon imposed a 'favourite son' tax, whereas North are holding a fire sale.

I guess the question is: why did Brown slump so much this year?

That goalscoring record is compelling. But for me, I just don't see that kind of player fitting in at the Swans - I think we want our forwards to be more versatile in how they win the ball and kick goals.
    I agree to an extent. If we were in a premiership window though, and we thought we could get 60 goals out of him, I wouldn’t care how he kicks them or what he does when the ball hits the ground. In form he’s pretty hard to stop.

I hope we get one of Danher or Brown.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I hope we get one of Danher or Brown.
    I doubt we will give up Pick 3 for any player. I think we will continue with youth to keep the rebuild going. Besides I can't see how we can afford the the amounts they would want.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he cracked them because Shaw wanted him to play as a key defender. I think he would go alright.

Brown is a one trick pony, and has never kicked goals against us because we know how to counter his one trick.

Ben Brown is not a good idea for us unless we can get him for a low draft pick. Let's just be patient. Bring in the 2 Academcy boys and best available at Pick 3/4. This is the best option given our list profile at present. Interestingly, Ross Lyon just said on Footy Classfied that we are closer to our next flag than Carlton!

We are still building the foundation of our next golden era. Buying in mature talent from elsewhere should wait for at least one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Brown is a one trick pony, and has never kicked goals against us because we know how to counter his one trick.
    Well that’s ok, because he’d be playing with us, not against us. The bigger problem is on the short dimensions of the SCG Ben Brown’s set shot run up would start somewhere between full back and center half back!