Page 154 of 452 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,837 to 1,848 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Like everyone else I'm surprised to hear that we are apparently in the mix for Crouch. Good player but big bucks$. Is it the right time for us to chase someone like that?

I just heard that Carlton are looking at paying Zac Williams $850k to 900k per year on a long-term deal. Seems huge$ for a half back flanker. Crazy money.

Senior Player
    I'm surprised we're in for Crouch, but it makes sense if we don't think any of our current squad can evolve into a Parker/Kennedy contested ball/clearance beast over the next two years. He'd help bridge the development gap to the younger players.

Crouch averages 26 possessions, 5 tackles and 5 clearances over his career. He's a bit over a year younger than Parker and his stats are pretty similar:

"Brad Crouch and Luke Parker AFL Stats Comparison" https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid2=C&type=A.

This report is a useful primer: "Buyer beware: What's Brad Crouch worth?" https://www.afl.com.au/news/477160/-...-crouch-worth-.

He's played 117 games fewer than Parker and this seems to be down to injury.

There's a suggestion in that report that he 'lost zip' after missing all of 2018 with a groin injury, but he did average 30 possessions a game in 2019 and won Adelaide's b&f. He also missed all of 2015 with a foot injury. Missed six games this year with a hamstring. Only played two full seasons and they were his best, stats-wise.

Crouch is a good player and a year or 2 ago I would probably have welcomed the news that we may get him but with his age and injury history I'd prefer us to take a stab at a Charlie Constable instead who is a big bodied mid who hasn't had much of a go at the Cats for obvious reasons. He'd be only 20 or 21 years old and has shown an ability to get the ball when playing as well as the VFL last year.

I hope we are seriously looking at him!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

We need more midfield quality so I wouldn’t be shocked if we were looking at Crouch, but he’s turning 27 and injury prone, and just not worth the money he’d be seeking.

We could get a couple of decent 22-25 y/o mids looking for more opportunities for the same price (combined) and not have to trade much away for them. And that would be a much better fit for us to be a much better team across the next 10 years rather than just the next couple.

I think the PSD is a legitimate bargaining chip if Daniher still wants to come to Sydney. If we made a FA bid for him and Essendon matched only to try and force a trade, then if they ask for too much I think that’s reasonable grounds for Daniher to say to Essendon “I wanted you to get compensation but if you won’t accept the FA pick or the trade Sydney have offered, you give me no choice but to go into the PSD”, and he not feel guilty about doing so.

Re Crouch

I don't watch enough non-Swans games to know much about him other than by reputation. However, I can understand we may want a player of his age/experience and quality. We don't need so many more young and promising players because we have a lot of them already. Also, if he's a free agent he won't cost draft picks.

Another factor that may be relevant is that apart from JPK and Parker aging (although Parker is over 4 years younger than JPK), possibly Hewett's injury is worse than we know and if he disappears that is one of our few 100 gamers (near enough) and plays a similar role. Or possibly Hewett wants to return to SA now that he's a dad. We just don't know what's going on.

Otherwise, more generally, I think they must be doing exit interviews yesterday, today and tomorrow and very soon we'll know more about who is going to be delisted. Feels tougher than usual, especially with no retirements.

Yes this is a tough time at all Clubs. Coaching staff advising players that their AFL dream is over. We have no retirements of any veterans this season which is unusual for us so it will be youngsters and "journey men" players that get the knife. Tough times. I still think we will move on up to 10 players.

What do people think is the likelihood of Joey retiring and that's why we're interested in Brouch? He has a young family and with the potential for more Covid induced difficulties moving forward, could he call time? Might even be conditional on getting a suitable replacement as he has always been a team man of the highest order.

Top 5 pick in the draft
    In my opinion, 75% cgance of success when choosing a Mid, 40% when choosing a Key Position.

We have to use that pick on a mid, Round 1 would be 15 possessions

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    What do people think is the likelihood of Joey retiring and that's why we're interested in Brouch? He has a young family and with the potential for more Covid induced difficulties moving forward, could he call time? Might even be conditional on getting a suitable replacement as he has always been a team man of the highest order.
    He’ll be 32 next year. Could retire or could be moved out of the engine room in a Burgoyne type role.

I’m not sure if Crouch is the answer but we’ve been getting killed in clearances for some time now.

Any talk of retirements?
    Surely they would have been announced by now.

- - - Updated - - -

If Buddy retires, we STILL have to pay him for the next two years.
    Remember, Eddie the arsehole made the AFL make extra conditions after they had already approved the transfer.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    ..... I’m not sure if Crouch is the answer but we’ve been getting killed in clearances for some time now.
    So have the Crows!

I'd be stunned if we are looking to pay Crouch the kind of money that will get Crows pick 2 as compo. If we are genuinely looking at Crouch then we aren't looking at Daniher, doubt we could afford both unless there's a real delisting spree to free up the money and the other spare spots are filled with cheap "hail Mary" draftees.

If we added Crouch, Daniher, pick 3, Campbell and Gulden, that would be a wow off season, providing the two FA stay on the park!

Fopr posters chatting about who may be delisted, a number of the players suggested have contracts for 2021 so will be staying, Gray, L Taylor, Bell, the Irishmen etc so no point suggesting them as outs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Any talk of retirements?

- - - Updated - - -

Remember, Eddie the arsehole made the AFL make extra conditions after they had already approved the transfer.
    Enough of that Annie! Fat Chins is acceptable :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Any talk of retirements?

- - - Updated - - -

We don't have to pay Buddy if he retires, just count his salary in our cap. From a list management point of view same thing. But from a club finances point of view, big difference.

No chance we will take JD and Crouch, if either. Talk is Crouch is going to join Dangerfield at Geelong.

JD is as risky a proposition as ever. It's a risk I'd be willing to take subject to due diligence and only at the right price. Realistically you'd have to consider something like 3 years at $600K p.a. Which is a lot of money for so much uncertainty both in terms of his body holding up and his attitude. I don't think I'd want us to offer more than that. If he worked out and played every game, that'd be sensational value. But we pretty much know that's not going to happen.

I think Joey is 32 years old already (born June 1988).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)