Page 177 of 452 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277 ... LastLast
Results 2,113 to 2,124 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I’m not sold on Chol , when you see a guy fly for a mark pretty much on his own in the goal square and cop a falcon alarm bells ring for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree that AB Swannie's was a good summary of our position going into the draft. I don't think Swannie showed a need to try to avoid Thunder's 'dreaded point deficit', but on the contrary showed it wasn't so critical.

The disposition of pick 3 is very much open for me. I would be more inclined to use the pick if I felt confident that Thilthorpe would be available at our pick. Maybe this will clarify as we get closet to the draft date. There's so much yet to play out before that comes.
    I agree that it was an excellent summary.

The only quibble I have is the assumption that we won't be matching bids on both players in the first round. It is possible, if the first round spreading out to 20 picks or more and Gulden ends up getting bid on at the end of the first round.

And yes, I consider the "dreaded deficit" as something to avoid, but the ways to avoid it are at our disposal. I trust the recruiters to find a solution to that problem. As long as we get to pick at pick 3 or 4, we get Campbell and Gulden, we solve the ruck problem somehow and we end up with no points deficit, I would be happy with that. It would require some astute trading, but I believe we can do it.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

If Gulden gets bid on at the end of the first round then that would cause some difficulties. Firstly, it would mean that we are a long way short in terms of points but more importantly, it severely damages our 1st round pick for 2021.

However, if, as expected, Gulden lasts until the second round, I personally am not as worried about the deficit. With our current crop of youngsters + Campbell + Gulden + one of Hollands/Phillips/McDonald (my preferences) + 2021 first round, we can afford to lose some currency from the 2nd round of 2021.

I also agree with Ludwig about “big bodied midfielders”. I think height is the most overrated metric for a midfielder. Power is important but is not directly correlated to height.

My perfect draft/trade period would be:

Draft: McDonald, Campbell, Gulden
    Trade: Ladhams for 2021 2nd round, split pick 22 for more points.
    Free Agent: Joe Daniher

Re Daniher, now could be a good time to get him. 2 year contract plus option for 3 years depending on performance. First 2 years on about 500k a year, fits in with Buddy's last 2 years. If he stays on the park and plays well, 3 year contract triggered with a chunk of what use to be Buddy's.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    My perfect draft/trade period would be:

Draft: McDonald, Campbell, Gulden
    Trade: Ladhams for 2021 2nd round, split pick 22 for more points.
    Free Agent: Joe Daniher
    Yes. This would be a great outcome. McDonald could be the tough one to get, he's been pumped up so much by the draft gurus.

And what is Ladhmas worth? That's are hard one. It's really what PA want for him. Who can say? And is he on the trade table? This will have to wait with PA looking to go deep into finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Re Daniher, now could be a good time to get him. 2 year contract plus option for 3 years depending on performance. First 2 years on about 500k a year, fits in with Buddy's last 2 years. If he stays on the park and plays well, 3 year contract triggered with a chunk of what use to be Buddy's.
    All accounts he has a 4 year deal on the table from Essendon . If he’s to move it will be minimum 4 years you would think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    All accounts he has a 4 year deal on the table from Essendon . If he’s to move it will be minimum 4 years you would think
    If the Injectors are offering 4 years then they must be confident in his groin.

Opportunities like this year rarely arise so just take pick 3, Campbell and Gulden this year and accept a likely points deficit in 2021. Adding three top picks in one go, yes please.

Worse that can happen in 2021 is we slip a few places in the draft with our second pick, or slip less places with our first if Gulden attracts a first round bid which I don't think he will.

Some very good posts in the last few pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes. This would be a great outcome. McDonald could be the tough one to get, he's been pumped up so much by the draft gurus.

And what is Ladhmas worth? That's are hard one. It's really what PA want for him. Who can say? And is he on the trade table? This will have to wait with PA looking to go deep into finals.
    Agree. Highly unlikely but it is worth dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    I thought that was a clever move by the Bombers because it puts a high price on his head as an RFA. Although he could still walk.

I’m not convinced they did it for JDs benefit or because they have faith in his groins. Think they probably think he’s going to ask to leave.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I thought that was a clever move by the Bombers because it puts a high price on his head as an RFA. Although he could still walk.

I’m not convinced they did it for JDs benefit or because they have faith in his groins. Think they probably think he’s going to ask to leave.
    Yes, it's an attempt to get us to pay overs....Dedoro is not stupid, just an a-hole.

AFL’s trade and free agency price guide

https://www.afl.com.au/news/510958/t...r-market-value

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Constable, Pruess and Mcdonald all seem excellent value if that guide is accurate, which frankly I doubt. Daniher is crazy overs.