Page 152 of 452 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,813 to 1,824 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    Finding a number 1 ruck is the key for me and I do agree with Dawson being on a wing. His composure and elite kicking across midfield can really open up holes in the opposition defence.
    I think Dawson has become more effective when drifting back and intercepting. I think he is the ultimate "no position" player. Call him a swing man or ruck-rover where he really doesn't slot into a position except in the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Agree about the compensation probabilities. But I think Adelaide should be happy enough to get a mid 1st rounder for Crouch. I don't know if any club would be willing to give more. Maybe he just stays at Adelaide.

I think if we want Daniher and we can come to a salary deal then Essendon will let him got for a compo pick 7. This story could unfold this week. Once we see what's happening with Daniher, we can plan the rest of the trade and draft season.
    I think you are probably right about both. Problem with Crouch is that he’s not worth the $700k a year that would get them a high compensation pick. But he thinks he is.

I wonder if any of his suitors would actually want to have to trade for him.

That’s why I think the AFL will pull a Ty Vickery trick that will satisfy everyone. Mid to late first rounder.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think you are probably right about both. Problem with Crouch is that he’s not worth the $700k a year that would get them a high compensation pick. But he thinks he is.

I wonder if any of his suitors would actually want to have to trade for him.

That’s why I think the AFL will pull a Ty Vickery trick that will satisfy everyone. Mid to late first rounder.
    Hawthorn anyone.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    based on how Daniher played on the weekend - you only want him for what he showed when played in the ruck in the last qtr. for the first 3/4 he looked disinterested or injured
    Disinterested - no problems

Injured - yikes!

To get Bombers pick 7 we will have to be offering at least $750k for 2-3 years, that's a big commitment with Buddy still having two years to run but we may have room. No way do we trade for JD, he can go to the PSD for nothing, He wants to leave the spotlight in Melbourne so Crows and Norf don't suit and he doesn't even have to talk to them which is what Martin did last year in refusing to talk to Melbourne who had a pick before Carlton.

Will Brad Crouch nett Crows pick 2? The money on offer would have to be as for Daniher. Brad has had serios injury problems in the past, is a good accumulator of the ball but is one paced and ordinary disposal by foot. I don't have him in the echelon of mids to command that kind of money on the supposed five years he wants. Who are possible suitors with $ to burn? St.Kilda? Norf? Not Bombers as it would cancel out their JD compo pick. No club is trading for Crouch, he's too fragile and vanilla.

Lots to play out here, let's hope we still have pick 3 come draft night and a compo pick hasn't pushed it back. IMO no compo pick should be slotted in above the non finalists.

Veterans List
    Hawthorn usually take the injured yesterday's heroes.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Hawthorn anyone.
    The last thing they need is yet another one paced mid with ordinary foot disposal, already got several!

So, how many players will we have to delist, and who is most at risk?

For me:

Stoddard
    Ling
    Maibaum
    Taylor, E
    Gray (is he contracted for another year?)
    Knoll
    Brand
    O'Riordan
    Ronke

I think that Clarke, Thurlow and Fox have shown enough to be retained, and that the other Taylor was doing enough to snag a small forward role ahead of Ronke.
    I feel for Ling, but think that he falls down the pecking order as it has unfolded this season. Stoddard has had two cracks and not had an impact. Maibaum I also feel for, but the back half is looking sturdier with McCartin looking very good, Mellican finding some form, Rampe to return, and Gould hopefully to have an impact. Brand? And I wonder with Thurlow, Fox and Dawson whether we need O'Riordan.
    Amartey stays, and we probably have to give Reynolds and Rowles a crack.

Can anyone explain to me how retirements are viewed in the AFL? For example, Buddy retires but has 2 years left on contract. Does he still get paid for those years? If so, does that then come off our cap? If he doesn't, does it still come off our cap? If a payout is negotiated, does it come off the cap?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    So, how many players will we have to delist, and who is most at risk?

For me:

Stoddard
    Ling
    Maibaum
    Taylor, E
    Gray (is he contracted for another year?)
    Knoll
    Brand
    O'Riordan
    Ronke

I think that Clarke, Thurlow and Fox have shown enough to be retained, and that the other Taylor was doing enough to snag a small forward role ahead of Ronke.
    I feel for Ling, but think that he falls down the pecking order as it has unfolded this season. Stoddard has had two cracks and not had an impact. Maibaum I also feel for, but the back half is looking sturdier with McCartin looking very good, Mellican finding some form, Rampe to return, and Gould hopefully to have an impact. Brand? And I wonder with Thurlow, Fox and Dawson whether we need O'Riordan.
    Amartey stays, and we probably have to give Reynolds and Rowles a crack.
    Would be surprised if ORiordan was cut and I would like to keep Brand. Looked very handy in his brief appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Can anyone explain to me how retirements are viewed in the AFL? For example, Buddy retires but has 2 years left on contract. Does he still get paid for those years? If so, does that then come off our cap? If he doesn't, does it still come off our cap? If a payout is negotiated, does it come off the cap?
    If buddy retires it comes off our cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    If buddy retires it comes off our cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If hubs are the new normal, months away from your normal life (outside of footy), it does make me wonder how motivated Buddy would be, given his recent injury history, new child and of course father time.

My recollection of the Buddy deal is that we still have to keep his $ on our salary cap regardless of retirement.

On other recent comments, I will be quite surprised if we trade away our Number 3 pick. I can't see Adelaide getting a really low pick as compensation for Crouch.

I think that Daniher will leave Essendon. Whether he goes to us is another story. We are probably slight favourite now. There is no point trying to trade with Dodorro as we all know from past events, so make a reasonable offer to Daniher but not an excessive offer and see what happens. If Essendon match, which they likely won't, then so be it.