Page 25 of 452 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Victorian media suddenly realises that Essendon were idiots for not taking our very generous offer for Daniher...

AFL trades 2020: Joe Daniher Sydney, Essendon free agency compensation pick | Fox Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Reckon we went through the motions and were never serious about getting him. He approached Harley.
    If they were reading RWO, they would have certainly just been going through the motions, rather than getting crucified on this forum. The story is unfolding as we foreshadowed back in October.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Really wanted the 178cm Caleb Serong in last year's draft but I was probably influenced by the fact he was a Swans supporter.

Gulden 171cm doesn't worry me, a lot of high tackles whilst buzzing around near goals at that height :-) From what I've read he can play.
    I like a player that starts low and stays low. Maybe he'll be called 'The Groundhog' or 'Guldenhog'

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Victorian media suddenly realises that Essendon were idiots for not taking our very generous offer for Daniher...

AFL trades 2020: Joe Daniher Sydney, Essendon free agency compensation pick | Fox Sports
    Doesn't that imply we were idiots to make the offer?

Yep. The literally looked a gift horse in the mouth.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Nut sure I’ve seen this posted elsewhere so apologies if so, or wrong spot.

But here’s our coaching and development changes. Mayfield the big one given his history and shows how brutal the changes are going to be.

Premiership hero among Swans on the outer, remains stood down
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

But here’s our coaching and development changes. Mayfield the big one given his history and shows how brutal the changes are going to be.

Ouch. That’s brutal, and surprising that they’ve kept a first year coach in McVeigh ahead of him.

2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

Thanks I-ui2, I’ve been wondering about the coaching changes. So Macca retains his gig - good news but sad for Tadgh & Maxfield.

Thinking about last year’s much-loved retirees, I assume Nick Smith’s part-time role has disappeared (so fervently hope he has something else lined up). I also wonder if Kieren’s Swans finance role has survived.

I think Reg has been a big winner out of lockdown. He set up a rubbish removal business and from his Instagram posts it seems to have been going gangbusters as people have used their iso time to do home clean outs!

Ps I note Nick has been helping Reg on some jobs. Worth booking a rubbish load to have those two turn up!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, while height does make a difference, I'm not sure how much? I suspect that there's some obscure analysis somewhere, but I haven't read it. In my semi-educated opinion, if Gulden stays that height, he'll probably drop to the second round. Which would be a bonus for us, as having seen a fair bit of him last year, I definitely think that he's first round talent. Campbell's 178cm may not make that much difference. The stand out pick of last year's draft, Matt Rowell, is 178cm. As is the 8 pick, Caleb Serong.
    All I've found so far is this article which essentially says AFL players tend to be taller than the average bloke, except when they aren't.

Must be time to wake from my slumber and create some charts. I grabbed current players, their heights, positions and draft pick numbers from Footywire. Divided the heights into 8 groups (an arbitrary number).

First, draft position versus height with midfielders highlighted in red. Most midfielders are in the 179-189 cm range and the average pick falls from over 30 to under 30, as we move from less than 184 cm to 184-189 cm.

Second, looking at only the midfielders. Now the average draft pick drops from almost 35 to near 20, as we go from less than 182 cm to 182-185 cm.

So that latter range seems to be the sweet spot and your semi-educated guess is good; second round is much more likely for sub-180 cm mids. Interesting that the tallest mids also tend to be lower picks, though that's a bit skewed due to fewer of them.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    All I've found so far is this article which essentially says AFL players tend to be taller than the average bloke, except when they aren't.

Must be time to wake from my slumber and create some charts. I grabbed current players, their heights, positions and draft pick numbers from Footywire. Divided the heights into 8 groups (an arbitrary number).

First, draft position versus height with midfielders highlighted in red. Most midfielders are in the 179-189 cm range and the average pick falls from over 30 to under 30, as we move from less than 184 cm to 184-189 cm.

Second, looking at only the midfielders. Now the average draft pick drops from almost 35 to near 20, as we go from less than 182 cm to 182-185 cm.

So that latter range seems to be the sweet spot and your semi-educated guess is good; second round is much more likely for sub-180 cm mids. Interesting that the tallest mids also tend to be lower picks, though that's a bit skewed due to fewer of them.

Good work. And yes, the tall midfielders caught my eye, as well. Which I guess is saying; that if you're 192cm or more, and you're agile enough to play midfield, then you're likely to be a highly sought after draft commodity.

I suspect the rotation of mids / FFs like heeney, danger, dusty is unparalleled with their jump, height, kick at goal vs 174cm mids on the lead

Hence the value

Thanks neilfws! Perhaps I've watched moneyball too many times but I have always thought that, although height can be beneficial, it can be overrated by traditional scouts because taller players have a better "look".