Page 382 of 452 FirstFirst ... 282332372378379380381382383384385386392432 ... LastLast
Results 4,573 to 4,584 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Warming the Bench
    [QUOTE=Thunder Shaker;807972]
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    You're forgetting that matching bids on Academy or F/S players attracts a 20% discount. 1644 points reduces to 1315.2 points, and that would leave 535.8 points - about pick 29 with a 20% discount.

We can always pull the trigger on a live pick trade if we need more points. The Suns still have pick 27 and Sydney could swap that for a future 2nd round pick if needed.
    True - but I dare say we don't want to go into next years draft with only one pick within the first 3 rounds. So I don't think that will happen to dispose of another pick (we let our 3rd round go to WCE for the Hick deal)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    So why did we recruit Taylor and Gray into the club recently only to then get rid of Fox (ironically as soon as he starts holding down a spot) the very next year?
    The Taylor and Gray signings are @@@@-ups. Presumably, the intention was to offset a possible Papley trade, but I'm surprised they couldn't hold off picking them up until it was clear we needed them. I'm also not sure we needed both even if Papley left. I tend to have faith in the list management team, but they got that wrong.

(Can anyone explain to me how we can delist Gray when he is contracted? Are we obliged to rookie him?)

Fox is unlucky. I said the other day I thought he was in the best 22 of the current, pre-draft, squad. They've backed Ling and Gould over him, which is fair enough. Massive pre-seasons for both those guys. I think if O'Riordan had been out of contract, they'd have kept Fox and delisted COR, who I can't see playing much next year. Brand is a bit different, since he's a genuine tall.

It does suggest Tom McCartin is seen as a defender (great) and I imagine we'll rookie his brother (good).

Ok with other delistings. Foot looks a bit short and Thurlow provides depth we can't afford.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Fox medium defender and utility with exceptional athletic qualities, Ling, small defender, Gould, large defender with questionable tank and a skin fold problem. Not like for like

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    Fox is 186cm; Ling 184cm.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Fox is 186cm; Ling 184cm.
    Fox has shown a Rampe like ability to play tall, well above his size ( he’s also chopped out in the ruck ). I’m sure this has never been a feature of Ling’s game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    I don't think its a certainty at all that we draft Gulden. Ignoring pick 3, we presently have 1851 points. Campbell will not slip past pick 7 (I have it on good authority that Dodoro will bid on him then) which amounts to 1644 points. Which will leave approximately 207 points which is akin to pick 55. So this is certainly not a fait accompli.
    You forgot the 20% discount which brings pick 7 down to 1315 points. I calculate that if Gulden goes at 20, that's another 715 points for a total required of 2030. I also calculate our points, excluding pick 3, at 2015, so it's as close a match as you can get. If Campbell gets a bid at 7, then I don't think there will also be an early bid on Gulden. And I think it's a certainty that we take Gulden. The alternative would be to take someone with a pick in the 40s.

I think we can squeeze more points out of our 2 picks in the 30s. I think the chance of us going into deficit next year is very slim.

Fox certainly was unlucky to get delisted. I rate Fox a better defender than COR and a bit quicker as well. But COR has a better feel for transitioning from defence to offence and more flexibility to play other positions. Fox found his spot as a lock down defender, but wasn't consistent when played in other spots. COR offers a bit more versatility than Fox. Nonetheless, Fox becomes one of a fair number of good players who got cut.

I saw Quinton Narkle was delisted by Geelong. I thought he was a good prospect, especially for an aging side.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 24th November 2020 at 09:46 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Fox has shown a Rampe like ability to play tall, well above his size ( he’s also chopped out in the ruck ). I’m sure this has never been a feature of Ling’s game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He could certainly play taller than Ling (i.e. as a third tall), but I think they had similar primary roles.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I saw Quinton Narkle was delisted by Geelong. I thought he was a good prospect, especially for an aging side.
    Cats realised he was too young to play in their team. They plan to trade him back in when he's in his mid 30s.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    What's wrong with Mason Wood?
    Plays about 8 great qrs a year and then is seen no longer. Makes Gary Rohan look like a week in/week out contributor. Has been North's great white hope for about 6 years - you knew they really were having a rebuild when they jettisoned him.

The Fox delisting has put alot of faith in youth which im ok with, ill be disappointed if we bring in a scrub like Wood at his expense.

Paddy the only past player that make sense due to his size, everyone else available doesnt offer alot more than we have in youth.

Suspended by the MRP
    We are going to look silly if the trust we put in the youth backfires.

I 've been lambasted for being too hard on the youth on our list .. maybe so , but there is not one of them who i would say with reasonable confidence is going to be elite. Maybe Dawson, maybe Rowbottom, maybe Mccartin. Possibly Blakey but every chance he also ends up a bust, could go either way . Stephens, Campbell Gulden etc unproven.

Maybe maybe maybes. Not what id call a solid plan that can reassure a lot of fans going forward. Hey support us and our bunch of could-bes ! They are bloody lucky that most of us the good sort will do so .

Hope the club knows what is doing and is prepared to cop to their poor judgment calls if this youth doesn't turn out as they hope it will.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    List size before delistings was 46. It's now 37. Maximum list size has been cut to 44, which means we can take up to seven players.

So how many players will we be drafting? About five perhaps (three main draft and two rookies), leaving two list spots open?

We will probably be drafting three players in the National Draft.

Past drafts: 2019: 4 picks, 2018: 4 picks, 2017: 3 picks, 2016: 4 picks, 2015: 3 picks.
    First picks: 2019: 5 (Stephens), 2018: 10 (Blakey), 2017: 14 (Ling), 2016: 11 (Florent), 2015: 3 (Mills).
    Last picks: 2019: 39 (Warner), 2018: 51 (Foot), 2017: 53 (Stoddart), 2016: 48 (Cameron), 2015: 56 (Dawson).

This year, we will probably be done by about pick 25, which would be the earliest we have finished drafting in the National Draft since 1995 when pick 24 was our last pick.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    We are going to look silly if the trust we put in the youth backfires.

I 've been lambasted for being too hard on the youth on our list .. maybe so , but there is not one of them who i would say with reasonable confidence is going to be elite. Maybe Dawson, maybe Rowbottom, maybe Mccartin. Possibly Blakey but every chance he also ends up a bust, could go either way . Stephens, Campbell Gulden etc unproven.

Maybe maybe maybes. Not what id call a solid plan that can reassure a lot of fans going forward. Hey support us and our bunch of could-bes ! They are bloody lucky that most of us the good sort will do so .

Hope the club knows what is doing and is prepared to cop to their poor judgment calls if this youth doesn't turn out as they hope it will.
    Feels like we have taken the training wheels off, particularly in the backline. I guess we’ll see who swims and who sinks.