Page 70 of 452 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Does anyone else think we should draft a key defender? Our two talls have recently been Fox and Rampe. Question marks over all of Pelican, Aliir, Brand and Maibaum.

2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I reckon we should take the best available player. There certainly seems to be some Key position prospect rates highly. I Wouldn’t be upset if we picked a KPD.

Elijah Holland’s sounds great to me but coming off an ACL, I don’t think we’d go there. The other highly rated mid ( forgot the name) is a short inside mid, so I doubt we’d go for him either. All the others rated in that 1-5 range seen to be talls.

* Will Phillips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Does anyone else think we should draft a key defender? Our two talls have recently been Fox and Rampe. Question marks over all of Pelican, Aliir, Brand and Maibaum.
    Assuming we have pick 2 plus Gulden and Campbell, it'd have to be pretty compelling to not take a key position player with that pick - forward or defender.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    These are the latest Draft Central rankings. They have Campbell at 6 and Gulden only rates a brief mention, as having top 25 potential. However, they're from a week ago, so it will be interesting if their next rankings, have Gulden bumped up significantly, after yesterday's performance in the academy game.

Draft Central Power Rankings: August 2020 - Aussie Rules Draft Central

Also, before reading that, I didn't know that the Sydney AFL comp is going on, and that Campbell is apparently starring in it. In his first two games, he kicked 6 goals and was among the best in both.
    Cheers. Riley Thilthorpe looks good!

Entire article devoted to the Papley-Daniher non-trade of 2019 and what might happen this year?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...08-p55jv0.html

“Carlton naturally remain interested, but the goal posts have shifted and he will not be easily acquired if he repeats the trade request. Should he do so - and it's not clear that he will - Carlton will need to part with more than one first rounder...”

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Cheers. Riley Thilthorpe looks good!
    Ta. After quoting them about Campbell in the SAFL, I decided to see if Gulden was also playing. He is: he's played three games for the UNSW ES Bulldogs. On the SAFL website, players for each side are rated from 1 to 6, with 1 being the side's best for the game and 6 being the 6th best. Gulden has a pair of 1s and a 2. Since they won all three matches, he's probably been BOG twice.

- - - Updated - - -

Entire article devoted to the Papley-Daniher non-trade of 2019 and what might happen this year?

“Carlton naturally remain interested, but the goal posts have shifted and he will not be easily acquired if he repeats the trade request. Should he do so - and it's not clear that he will - Carlton will need to part with more than one first rounder...”
    I wonder if Hawthorn will throw big bucks at him?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I wonder if Hawthorn will throw big bucks at him?
    I wonder (1) if Paps Would want to play for Clarko after his comments (2) what the Hawks could offer us for him?

Senior Player

I'm bemused by all of this Papley speculation. If the possible trade was the other way there'd be no coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just keen for Tom to play well next Thursday, after a couple of down matches.

Yes I think we should draft either a ruck or a key defender. Aliir is an intercepting defender, he has to be given license to roam. Melican still doesn't play 4 quarters, he's got the tools to be a good defender, but I'm not convinced he'll even be an elite defender, more of a number 2 tall. Brand is 26/27 and is good but not elite, who knows what Maibaum is capable of but hopefully he'll get a game this year. We've got a ton of small players and are picking up 2 more this year in Gulden and Campbell. We have Blakey and McCartin as young key forwards. An elite key defender to learn under Rampe would be my preference. Then they can take the number 1 spot leaving Melican, Maibaum, Brand, Aliir, to take the other 2 spots.

Considering we'll be picking in the top 5, and this looks like a strong draft for talls, I think we should absolutely use our first pick on a KPD or a Ruck. Assuming that somebody doesn't bid on Campbell or Gulden before our first bid, but Campbell is supposedly in the 10-15 range so I'm quietly confident we'll get to use our first pick.

Adelaide have the number 1 pick so I'm 95% certain they'll be taking the local lad, Thilthorpe, but depending on what pick we have we could take Grainger-Barass from WA. Assuming we have a higher pick than Freo, who have a points deficit this year.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    Really, what else could he say? He's a fringe player, wanting to be accepted by the group. He was clearly uncomfortable and shielding his genital region.
    Maybe he was wearing Tradie Body Spray?

A KPD would be at the bottom of my list of possible draftees. Granted, we have a lot to sort our with our KPDs, but we have so many, the answer surely exists in the team already. Gould is big enough to play KPD and I expect he will be a good player. Kaiden Brand looked okay until he got injured. Melican has a ways to go, but he's had injury interruptions the past couple of years. I'd like to see him get some more time to develop. We don't know if we will ever see Maibaum, and O'Connor looks a promising prospect. McCartin and Reid can also play in defence. That's 7 candidates to fill 1 or 2 spots.

There's still a lot to play out before draft decisions can be made with the Daniher saga yet to play out. But my inclinations at this moment in time would be to, in this order:
    1. Down trade our first rounder to GC for Peter Wright.
    2. Down trade our first rounder to Richmond for Mabior Chol.
    3. Try to recruit Braden Preuss with a 2nd or 3rd rounder and select either Thilthorpe or Hollands with pick 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would also like to add that in a previous post I mentioned that Zac Fisher, a good young small forward, wasn't playing for Carlton. I noticed that Fisher is one of their emergencies for today's game. I still can't understand why Carlton would want Papley all that much, when Fisher, who has been a regular in the side and played 21 games last year, can't make the team.
    Well, Fisher is back in the side today and has already kicked 3 goals in the 1st half. I can only repeat, why would they want to trade for Papley when they already have Fisher?

!! Make that 4. Just kicked another in the first minute of the 3rd.