Page 6 of 452 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    O., the Tippert factor ! Once Bitten .
    If only it was "once bitten" - I've seen he Swans effectively commit long term suicide by means of a big name recruit a lot more than once, an not yielded a single flag.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 24th February 2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

And ESPN's Chris Doerre has posted an evaluation of every team's list's short-term and long-term prospects:AFL each club's list rated for the short and long term

For us he writes:

Sydney
    Short-term outlook

Strength: Despite the retirements of Heath Grundy and Nick Smith, the Swans' back line remains their backbone with an established group of defenders led by Dane Rampe, Jake Lloyd and Jordan Dawson. Aliir Aliir and Callum Mills are quality compliments while draftee Will Gould is good enough to become a regular in his first season.
    Weakness: Where Sydney fall short is through the midfield, where they need to provide greater support to Luke Parker and Josh Kennedy. It would help if Isaac Heeney is released into the midfield more in 2020, but they are still several high-quality, established pieces short.
    Projection: Sydney are firmly in the rebuilding phase after losing significant experience with the trade of Zak Jones and retirements of Jarrad McVeigh, Kieran Jack, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Sydney in 2020 will be prioritising awarding their youth greater exposure to fast-track their development, particularly through the midfield.

Long-term outlook

Core pieces: Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Tom Papley, Aliir Aliir, Callum Mills, Dylan Stephens, Will Gould, Jordan Dawson and Will Hayward.
    Strengths: Sydney are assembling a strong young core with variety and talent across all lines.
    Weaknesses: Like Melbourne, Sydney have the quantity of good young talent but need more stars. What Sydney lack positionally is a long-term ruckman, with no obvious solution currently.

I'm hoping we are slightly ahead of where he projects us to be in the short term. In the long term I think he may be undervaluing: Lloyd (at 26, only a year older than Aliir), Rowbottom (more proven than Stephens and Gould), Florent, Hewett, McCartin. Also I'm not sure we need more "stars". I do agree that we do, in the long term, lack a ruck. Something to be sorted either via trading or possibly via the draft, but, in that case, probably not this year when we will be focusing on Gulden and Campbell.

Suspended by the MRP
    His long-term 'core' for us seemed completely random, like he'd picked names out of a hat, or there was a glitch in his system that only allowed him to list nine players. Gould is automatically a more impressive key position player than McCartin, who played 34 games in his first two seasons. Hewett finished ahead of Mills, Dawson, Heeney and Papley, all Swans in a similar age, in the B&F, but is the only one from that group not named. Hayward only managed 13 games last year, and was probably below expectations in most of them, while Rowbottom played 12 games and performed above expectations in most of them. And I'm assuming he is basing his Stephens hype on the fact he's a first round pick, but so was Florent, who's not named.

Almost always whenever I see a list analysis on us by outside parties, it seems like they don't really know our list, and only know the names that the commentators love, or the best Fantasy scorers in our team.

After we were all wondering how to interpret Kirk being shifted to the individual development role (and whether it was a demotion) while Cox was redployed to something like strategy, Kirk (not Cox or anyone else) has been handed the reins for the first Marsh series game against GWS on Saturday: Former Swans stars to face off in coaching box. In a nice touch, he's coaching against 2005 premiership team mate Amon Buchanan, who'll be coaching for the Giants.

I think it’s a sympathy coaching gig in the earliest round of the preseason, while Horse (and his sidekick Dean Cox) are off at the State Of Origin game.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    His long-term 'core' for us seemed completely random, like he'd picked names out of a hat, or there was a glitch in his system that only allowed him to list nine players. Gould is automatically a more impressive key position player than McCartin, who played 34 games in his first two seasons. Hewett finished ahead of Mills, Dawson, Heeney and Papley, all Swans in a similar age, in the B&F, but is the only one from that group not named. Hayward only managed 13 games last year, and was probably below expectations in most of them, while Rowbottom played 12 games and performed above expectations in most of them. And I'm assuming he is basing his Stephens hype on the fact he's a first round pick, but so was Florent, who's not named.

Almost always whenever I see a list analysis on us by outside parties, it seems like they don't really know our list, and only know the names that the commentators love, or the best Fantasy scorers in our team.
    Gould a more impressive key position prospect than McCartin? I don't think so. McCartin was the youngest player picked up in his draft class and to play as many senior games as he has announces his quality. Gould may be future quality but we just drafted him. As for Hayward, he is all class and it was injury that set him back last year. If I have a wish for 2020, to see Ling get a real run at playing as I think he can be in our best 22. No argument on Rowbottom...exciting talent.

Suspended by the MRP
    I agree with you, but that article seemed to think the 18 year old yet to debut was more integral to our future than the KPP with 34 games to his name.

Interesting article from Jack Niall (Age) suggesting Brisbane would be a better fit for Daniher than us should he decide to exercise free agency at season's end. He based this on Brisbane being closer to a premiership, having a better midfield and more needing of a power forward whilst we have Buddy:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...26-p544oz.html

I read that article too and had mixed views. While it's true we have Buddy he is getting closer to the end and running into injuries. We will need a key power forward going forward who can be a focal point. I am so glad that the Essendon trade fell through as we would have had to give up a huge amount to get Daniher. If we get him at year's end well and good. If not, it's not the end of the world.

On another topic, still no word on re-signing Hewitt. I wonder how negotiations are progressing given that he's out of contract at the end of this season?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I read that article too and had mixed views. While it's true we have Buddy he is getting closer to the end and running into injuries. We will need a key power forward going forward who can be a focal point. I am so glad that the Essendon trade fell through as we would have had to give up a huge amount to get Daniher. If we get him at year's end well and good. If not, it's not the end of the world.

On another topic, still no word on re-signing Hewitt. I wonder how negotiations are progressing given that he's out of contract at the end of this season?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Perhaps we are waiting to see his performance in 2020. As it stands right now, he is very much a replaceable member of the best 22. The coaching staff may be waiting to see if he takes that next step and becomes on par with Kennedy and Parker, which has been the hope with Hewett all along.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Perhaps we are waiting to see his performance in 2020. As it stands right now, he is very much a replaceable member of the best 22. The coaching staff may be waiting to see if he takes that next step and becomes on par with Kennedy and Parker, which has been the hope with Hewett all along.
    I think you guys are undererrating Hewett and underestimating his value to the team. He finished 2nd, I repeat 2nd, in our B&F last year. He fits the exact age and experience profile we need. He's learned to play alongside his teammates and they have built a synergy. He may also be less expensive than some of his flashier teammates. I suspect that he's still building his confidence as a leader and that once he develops a bit more in that space he could be part of our leadership group and drive the honest Bloods ethos.

No chance he's going anywhere if the club has a say.

Page 6 of 452 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast