Page 72 of 452 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Wright can't get a game because Witts is too good a ruckman and there's no place to fit him into the forward line with King and Day. Fringe or not, Chol is the kind of player we need. He's tall and athletic and a good kick. He's a true forward/ruck with a lot of upside. He's become a regular in the Richmond side of late and doing a pretty good job for a 17 gamer. Wright and Chol are both 23yo, the perfect demographic for the Swans, and ready to play now.
    I agree that they are the types we need but it doesn’t mean that we overpay. Zak Jones was a first round draft pick too who was a regular but netted only pick 32 in a subsequent trade.
    Last edited by AB Swannie; 9th August 2020 at 08:05 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Does anyone else think we should draft a key defender? Our two talls have recently been Fox and Rampe. Question marks over all of Pelican, Aliir, Brand and Maibaum.
    If we can take one before Campbell, Grainger- Barass fits the bill.

Veterans List
    If we have pick 2 and GC have pick 9, for example, we swap picks. That nets GC around 1000 points or around a pick 16 or 17. So effectively we would be giving GC a late 1st rounder for Peter Wright, which seems okay to me. Pick 9 would be a good pick to use for Campbell, if he's bid early. There may be other compensation involved depending on pick positions and other factors, but trading down the draft order to get a player we need to fill the void left by Naismith is the goal.

I figure we don't take more than 3 picks in the draft: Campbell, Gulden, and whatever happens with our early first rounder, whether it be a live pick or trade.
    Mate, if Peter Wright was any good Dew would have him in the side. He might be worth a trade for a 3rd round pick at best. I think he has been around long enough and has had plenty of chances.

- - - Updated - - -

A rethink may be needed regarding traditional thinking of what it takes to be a good on-baller. It's worth looking at how well skinny little Shai Bolton is doing since being moved on ball for Richmond.

The most important thing is to win the ball and move it on quickly. This is not necessarily done by brute strength. BTW, I think the Swans do have a physical presence in the middle and it's not something we need more of. Chad Warner looks like a bull already. Rowbottom is very solid.
    Yes we have a physical presence in the middle, but we don't get the footy anywhere near our share at centre bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I agree that they are the types we need but it doesn’t mean that we overpay. Zak Jones was a first round draft pick too who was a regular but netted only pick 32 in a subsequent trade.
    I don't want to overpay either. It's hard to evaluate what picks are worth this year, because of the compromised nature of the draft and the lack of playing time for the 18yos.

I would have loved to have pick 2 in either of the past 2 drafts. We could have gotten Rankine in 2018 or Jackson last year. I wouldn't be trading pick 2 in those circumstances. But these are different times.

There's nothing definitive at this point. We all have to wait and see what we are dealing with vis a vis list sizes and salary cap, as well as the Daniher situation. A lot can change by October. I would still like to see what Amartey and Knoll can do in the remaining 7 games, if given the chance.

Veterans List
    Chol is no longer a fringe player. Richmond won't give him up for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Mate, if Peter Wright was any good Dew would have him in the side. He might be worth a trade for a 3rd round pick at best. I think he has been around long enough and has had plenty of chances.

- - Updated - -

Yes we have a physical presence in the middle, but we don't get the footy anywhere near our share at centre bounces.
    I haven't followed Wright's career closely, but he's still young and has played in the shadow of Tom Lynch and Jarrad Witts. I don't think he's played poorly. He's done okay playing for a very poor side. The players he has to surpass to get into the side are very good, so there's a good reason why he's not playing. Maybe he could come cheaply, which would be all the better. At 23, it's about the right time for a KPP to emerge.

There are a lot of reasons why we're not doing that well at centre bounces. Other than the lack of a top notch ruckman, and midfield injuries, we have the personnel that should be able to overcome this in the future. In any case, there's no panacea. A midfield star is not coming to Swans from another club in the trade period, so we have to hope that the ones we've got will come through.

And you're right about Chol. He won't be easy to get, and the price would be high if he is gettable. It depends whether there's someone near the top of the draft that Richmond really want and would be willing to let Chol go to get that player. Richmond have enough coverage in the ruck, but they need a forward to take Riewoldt's place.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 9th August 2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I like Sier but any mention of using pick 2 as part of that deal is crazy. Same with Mabior Chol.
    Unfortunately, Tony Armstrong (ex swan) was on insiders and said it happened at every club he's been to.

Goes up to 11
    If we give up our first pick (2,3,4 whatever) we should be expecting a bona fide star. Otherwise we keep it.

As has been said, a 3rd rounder should do it for two metre Peter - and we should take that if we can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    WTF? He's 3 cm taller, and 9 kg lighter.
    In any case size isn't everything, if it was Andrew Bomford would have been in the Swans team of the century.
    And been in the AFL system for about 8-10 years less but WTF!

I'm of the feeling that anything will go this year come draft / trade time. All the variables have been mentioned and I think we can't dismiss any strategy.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Giving up pick 2 for Peter Wright, even if we get pick 9 in return, would be madness.
    No, not madness, bloody incredibly stupid madness!!

The draft is not comprimised at pick 2 even if JUH is bid on at pick 1. Pick 1 JUH matched by Dogs, Pick 2 Crows take Thilthorpe, we end up with pick 3 to take the KPF from WA or who we consider the best mid in the pool.

Peter Wright can't get a game for GC which tells you where he's at, never seen him do much myself which is why he's not best 22, forget him, use pick 2/3 as suggested above.

Trading Pick 2 for anyone other than an All Australian Mid under 23 is stupidity....... btw i dont even know if an AA under 23 exists.

Draft the best player available and if done right should play 20 games in season 1.

Drafts mids buy/trade Key position