Page 75 of 452 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Warming the Bench
    Think That Naismith is done unfortunately. Too many injuries. Sinkers is not the man either (he is at best a 3rd tall with a chop out in the ruck). That is why I am hoping that Knoll receives an opportunity. We have not had a good ruckman since Mumford/Pyke.

We need a good backman to take the monsters, someone in the guts (Connor Blakely is one player who Sydney should really look at - he wouldn't cost much) and a ruckman (depending upon what happens with Knoll).

How do people feel about Angus Brayshaw? If we could get him at a reasonable price?

Warming the Bench
    I think he would cost a fair bit... late first rounder. Don't think that Melbourne would let him go. As well as Blakely we should also consider Constable from Geelong

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    That rule exists, but it only applies if we finish in the top four (IIRC). I think we should be okay.
    Not expecting to make top four then?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Not expecting to make top four then?
    Oh, I haven't entirely given up.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    How do people feel about Angus Brayshaw? If we could get him at a reasonable price?
    Plodder who had one very good season, has spudded it up since, do not want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Oh, I haven't entirely given up.
    I hope that rule is as you are recalling, was brought in when GWS had multiple first rounders to match in consecutive seasons and the Vic clubs squealed - LOUDLY!

This year's draft is so hard to read with the lack of underage footy. Other than JUH and the big South Australian, haven't heard too much about anyone else. I worry that number 2 is not really worth what it has been in previous years. Will we get an Anderson, Lukosius, Taranto or just end up with a Brayshaw or Schache? There is the strong likelihood that those from the 2020 draft will have the added issue of missing a year of development given all the disruptions. Even Gulden and Campbell have missed playing Neafl and alot of elite underage footy. I guess thats why I'm not dead set on using pick 2 in the draft and am open to using it to get the right mature talent.

Here is the relevant rule (assuming it hasn’t been changed since this March 2017 AFL.com article):

‘For a team that finishes in the top four, the club will only be able to select one academy player. For a team finish in from fifth to eighth, there will be a limit of two players inside the opening 20 picks, while there will be no limit placed on sides outside the top eight.’

https://www.afl.com.au/news/144940/g...ademy-overhaul

I think we are pretty safe to select two academy players this year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Here is the relevant rule (assuming it hasn’t been changed since this March 2017 AFL.com article):

‘For a team that finishes in the top four, the club will only be able to select one academy player. For a team finish in from fifth to eighth, there will be a limit of two players inside the opening 20 picks, while there will be no limit placed on sides outside the top eight.’

Thanks Meg

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Thanks for your research Meg. Looks like a pick 2-4 depending on a JUH bid and what LOLNorf do in the run home, plus Campbell and Gulden. If it pans out like that, it really is a nice haul to add to what we've got on the list now.

Interesting debate on here about whether we should take the best kid available with our first draft pick, even if that’s a midfielder, or target a Key position player. A few seem to believe we’re pretty solid for mids, or will be after taking Campbell and Gulden.

Having a look at most teams that run out, there are approximately 8-9 players per side ( besides the ruckman ) that will at least play some time through the midfield or on the ball in a game.

If we’re looking at the future, I think you have to take Joey and Parks out of this equation. They are likely to be bit part players or retired once we are contending for a flag again in around 3-4 seasons time.
    So who does that leave in our side that will play in the midfield and on the ball in our next flag tilt ?

Hewett , Florent and Rowbottom are the only ones with good exposed form there of the young ones. Should all be leaders in our midfield by the time we are again playing Deep into September.

Stephens - looks the goods but far too early to tell, i am bullish though.

Mills - maybe if they ever play him there for more than a half once the games been lost. We still don’t know if long term he’s a good option there, we’ve only seen snippets of him when he hasn’t even trained preseason in the position.

Heeney - is he a midfielder , or a forward that can have an occasional run through there? We still don’t have that answer.

Warner - I’m not sold on just yet, like his tenacity but haven’t seen anything, even in his draft highlights to suggest he’s definitely going to make it. Not saying he won’t just haven’t seen it with it own eyes , doesn’t mean it’s not there.

Dawson- our swing man currently, doing a good job. From all reports capable inside mid in the 2’s, and we know he can play on the wing to decent effect with his skill set.

Mcinerney - maybe ? I like what I see but a raw talent and may take a while to find consistency.

Bell - shown some good signs but whether he has a future long term it’s hard to say. Much improvement still needed.

Probably missed some names, have deliberately left out some ( Stoddart ) that I see as either playing a different position or not likely to make it.

Point is though I would hardly say that our cup is overflowing with young midfield talent. There are still many with questions marks on them. Either about where they play their best footy, or if they are AFL standard long term.

I’m not sure adding three draftee midfielders to this mix is over tipping the balance. It will just add to our depth and you need to have really good depth in the midfield to be a top side.

Look at St Kilda last night, take Jones out of the side and they look flat and slow out of the middle. With him in they look like world beaters.

Compare that to a Geelong, they can play Danger forward 90% some games and be trotting it in, then chuck him in their other games when required.

I’m happy for us to take the best available player in the draft , if that’s a KP tall or ruck then that’s great ! But if that’s a midfielder then we’d be mad not to snatch a chance at adding some more top end talent to that part of our list .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Too many head knocks and is playing accordingly. Unfortunately for him his form has dropped off somewhat.