Page 78 of 452 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    We could have drafted him. Was taken the pick after Florent from memory!
    Yes. It was a tossup in my mind as to who we should take. I thought we made the right choice at the time, since Florent had a strong finish to the season and Simpklin was out most of the year with injury, even though he came into the season rated in the top 3 players in the draft.

Simpkin has had a big year, stepping up to fill the void in the midfield with the absence of Cunnington.

Florent has been eased slowly into the midfield. I'm much more upbeat about his progress than some on here. I think he's having a pretty good year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Florent has been eased slowly into the midfield. I'm much more upbeat about his progress than some on here. I think he's having a pretty good year.
    Ollie is tracking very well, cant understand the negativity, he just needs to string together consistency, probably more an assessment of the team he is in.

For people thinking otherwise, be worth having a look at the 2016 Draft, picks 1 and 2 are clear standouts, more than happy with Ollie over the rest of the top 15. Tim Englidh at 19 the draft steal

Regular in the Side
    happy with ollie as well. not happy with Lewis Taylor, Gray.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes. It was a tossup in my mind as to who we should take. I thought we made the right choice at the time, since Florent had a strong finish to the season and Simpklin was out most of the year with injury, even though he came into the season rated in the top 3 players in the draft.

Simpkin has had a big year, stepping up to fill the void in the midfield with the absence of Cunnington.

Florent is a good player but needs to improve his kicking. Also hangs on to the ball too long at times instead of taking simple first option. Still developing.

Suspended by the MRP
    Florent is developing yes, but is 22 now and still so far from where we need him to be. What if he doesn't improve his consistency, and these 15 possession games full of mostly missed kicks and missed tackles just never go away?

I could see us reaching a breaking point with Ollie where the bad will outweigh the good, and we will trade him. He is offering less than Jetta in 2015, Mitchell in 2016, Hanners in 2018, and Jones last year, and we let all of them go. Don't be surprised if Florent isn't any different if in a few years time we think we can improve the list without him on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Florent is developing yes, but is 22 now and still so far from where we need him to be. What if he doesn't improve his consistency, and these 15 possession games full of mostly missed kicks and missed tackles just never go away?

I could see us reaching a breaking point with Ollie where the bad will outweigh the good, and we will trade him. He is offering less than Jetta in 2015, Mitchell in 2016, Hanners in 2018, and Jones last year, and we let all of them go. Don't be surprised if Florent isn't any different if in a few years time we think we can improve the list without him on it.
    Hey TheBloods, don't let facts stand in the way! We didn't "let" Jetta, Mitchell and Jones go. For various reasons, they all left and we couldn't stop them. Hanners I agree we did offload, and I think we made the right decision.

I’m in the Ollie camp. He’s had a bit of an up and down year, but so has the team as a whole. He’s probably copping a bit more attention with a few others missing from our midfield too. I don’t agree that he’s a poor kick either, just his execution has let him down at times ( well quite a bit this year).

His last qtr against the hawks was a glimpse, and 22 is still pretty young don’t forget. Heeney is 2-3 years older and still relatively inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Hey TheBloods, don't let facts stand in the way! We didn't "let" Jetta, Mitchell and Jones go. For various reasons, they all left and we couldn't stop them. Hanners I agree we did offload, and I think we made the right decision.
    Trade, let go, however you want to phrase it. The fact is what did we get for them? Mitchell a mid first rounder, the rest second round picks, and in the case of Jetta, a makeshift ruckman. They were hardly highly valuable assets when they departed the club, with the possible exception of Mitchell, and Florent has ways to go before offering close to what any of them did.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I’m in the Ollie camp. He’s had a bit of an up and down year, but so has the team as a whole. He’s probably copping a bit more attention with a few others missing from our midfield too. I don’t agree that he’s a poor kick either, just his execution has let him down at times ( well quite a bit this year).

His last qtr against the hawks was a glimpse, and 22 is still pretty young don’t forget. Heeney is 2-3 years older and still relatively inconsistent.

Florent's foot skills are not isolated to this year unfortunately. He's been poor in this regard for a few years now. Might be time to accept he's just not a good kick ?

Heeney is inconsistent , but his games range from good to great, with nothing below. Florent's range from bad to good. Not a level of performance that fills me with hope. But i hope for his sake you are right and I am wrong , seems like a great fella.

Florent's foot skills are not isolated to this year unfortunately. He's been poor in this regard for a few years now. Might be time to accept he's just not a good kick ?

Heeney is inconsistent , but his games range from good to great, with nothing below. Florent's range from bad to good. Not a level of performance that fills me with hope. But i hope for his sake you are right and I am wrong , seems like a great fella.
    I don’t accept it, he can absolutely kick the footy well . He just needs to execute better under pressure and make better decisions. He has the ability.

Also Heeney’s range is a bit wider then good to great, there is certainly some average and poor games in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

I'm with you on the Florent bandwagon. His development over the last season and a half has been significant. His decision making has improved this season, but his kicking still needs a lot of work. Anecdotally, it seems that Florent's worst turnovers this year have been where he's kicking to the right teammate or area of the field, but his kick has been poor. A spring and summer of nothing but kicking drills should really help him. I think him and Stephens will be our wings for the next 8-10 years.

Senior Player

I think Florent's disposal is suffering from not having a lot of help in the midfield and coming up against top opposition. He may adjust. Hope so. But on his kicking. He is one of the best set shots in the side IMHO. He could be valuable up forward.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!