Page 251 of 452 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261301351 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,012 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Another one wants out of GWS, Caldwell wants to go to the quagmire Essendon purportedly on a 5 x $500k deal!

Here's another test for the Dodo, the contracts suggest he's worth about where he was drafted, pick 11 in the 2018 Super Draft but watch the Dodo try to hang a second rounder on him! Good opportunity to call the Dodo's bluff and send him to the PSD where Norf would pounce

It's going to be the mother of all end of seasons shenanigans-wise:

Cats claim they won't trade for Cameron
    Brisbane likewise for Daniher
    Dodo is in the middle of Saad, Fantasia, Caldwell, Daniher deals
    Bucks said the Pies will be major players but have a bulging salary cap
    List sizes and TPP still unresolved

And we haven't even had the GF yet!

i can only hear crickets .
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

don’t get me wrong. I would rather not trade him. He can certainly play the game and is a very good utility player. But so was the case with Papley.
    We leave in a real world with lots of offers for contracted players. It’s up to the player what they think. If Aliir wants to leave just like Papley last year we can get the best deal for ourselves - certainly overs !

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It's going to be the mother of all end of seasons shenanigans-wise:

Cats claim they won't trade for Cameron
    Brisbane likewise for Daniher
    Dodo is in the middle of Saad, Fantasia, Caldwell, Daniher deals
    Bucks said the Pies will be major players but have a bulging salary cap
    List sizes and TPP still unresolved

And we haven't even had the GF yet!
    SOS on SEN yesterday was very interesting, he was talking about how important the player agents are in the process.

They should be doing all the legwork for their client in terms of understanding how the respective clubs are going to approach it, and trying to condition each club to find the middle ground. So in the example of Jeremy Cameron, before choosing Geelong he should be very clear on what their approach will be (ie. whether they would be willing to trade if their offer was matched by GWS, what their limit would be in terms of a trade if they were at least open to considering that etc).

Probably to the extent of saying to Geelong that Cameron will only nominate them if they are willing to do a trade, if it came to it - otherwise he would have to consider other options. Clearly the player doesn't want to nominate a club but be forced to either take up the matched offer from the club they tried to leave, or go into the draft.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    i can only hear crickets .
    I know, right? Remember the days when we were "players"?

Veterans List
    Here’s the SEN article about Port offering AA - a contracted player - a contract!

Power set to approach Swans defender in trade period
    The interesting thing for me from this is that other clubs think Swans players are "gettable" even when they're contracted.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I know, right? Remember the days when we were "players"?
    With respect it's probably not the right time for us to be players. We need to stock up with excellent kids and get Buddy's salary out of the way ready for a charge in 2 years time. My expectation is we will be bottom 6 next year but it will be exciting to see the kids development. I can only see us trading for points this year and I hope we don't waste cap space on list cloggers.
    Unfortunately that creates a very boring off season for the RWO gang.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    The interesting thing for me from this is that other clubs think Swans players are "gettable" even when they're contracted.
    Have you not been paying attention the past 3-4 trade periods ? Any contracted player from any club is gettable, especially those approaching free agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Have you not been paying attention the past 3-4 trade periods ? Any contracted player from any club is gettable, especially those approaching free agency
    AA is a pre-agent. If (It’s a big if) he’s going to go, makes sense to trade him now.

AA is a pre-agent. If (It’s a big if) he’s going to go, makes sense to trade him now.
    Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Westhoff comparison is a little misleading for two reasons: (1) I don't think Port are planning on using AA as a replacement for the Hoff, but as a tall defender (2) Westhoff was a genuine forward who became a forward/ruck. Happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think AA is a natural forward... so that option is always going to be a stretch.

So I'm not sure losing AA is really going to be thinning the fwd line. I agree he shows potential in the ruck, but is probably not quite tall enough.

Other clubs have found imaginative ways to use non-fwd players in the ruck: Blicavs, Astbury and even McEvoy (who played more as a ruck/back and then went the other way). I'm not writing Aliir off. It may be that during the off season we can find a role that maximises his talents.

But the Swans do seem to be a side that worries a little too much about players weaknesses rather than focusing on their strengths. He might fare better under a different coach.

I don't think AA is the messiah, and we need to grab at least one genuine fwd and one centre bounce capable ruckman from elsewhere.

It's a question of what is better for our list, retaining AA in the hope he can be turned into a ruck, or swapping him with an untried, but potentially genuine ruck (if we could get Hayes from Port in return)?
    Ludwig I am serving myself a generous portion of humble pie.

Give me a teal deal: Star Don wants Power switch, Port pursues key Swan

... It comes as the Power pursue contracted Sydney defender/ruckman Aliir Aliir to fill the void left by departed club champion Justin Westhoff...

The 26-year-old caught the Power's eye during their round 14 win over the Swans when he was thrown into the ruck in the second half and competed strongly...

While the Swans are chasing a ruckman, the Power are not expected to be willing to part with contracted pair Peter Ladhams and Sam Hayes who sit behind Scott Lycett in the club's ruck pecking order.