Page 284 of 452 FirstFirst ... 184234274280281282283284285286287288294334384 ... LastLast
Results 3,397 to 3,408 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Apologies if someone else has reported this and I've missed it, but Fox Sports has reported via The West Australian that we have put a contract offer to Hickey for 3 years but WC want a pick as they've blown their first rounder due to the Kelly trade last year.

If the trade goes through, I wonder if they'll put together a "Get Excited" video montage for the four club journeyman after his huge three game haul this year?

One thing's certain, we need to do some astute trading of picks or future picks or some players who can help with the points we need in this year's draft + Hickey.

Veterans List
    That's very disappointing news on Hickey, from what I've seen of him he's at his best on the farm, in the potato field. Would be massively upset if this is true.

Can't believe WC want a pick for him, what a cheek! That they got shafted by the Cats last year in the Kelly trade leaving them bereft of picks this year is their problem.

I'd rather grab a state leaguer for free as Sinclair back up, rucks are over rated.

2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    That's very disappointing news on Hickey, from what I've seen of him he's at his best on the farm, in the potato field. Would be massively upset if this is true.

Can't believe WC want a pick for him, what a cheek! That they got shafted by the Cats last year in the Kelly trade leaving them bereft of picks this year is their problem.

I'd rather grab a state leaguer for free as Sinclair back up, rucks are over rated.
    Yep, Hickey is an A grade spud, he stinks. 3 years , what are we thinking. WC want a pick for him ? Pull the other one guys. Should be giving us a pick to take him !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    What are the Swans thinking. Did they not learn from clogging the list with Lewis Taylor, Sam Gray and Kaiden Brand this year. Hickey for one year only and for a future fifth round pick at best and that would be overs. Not happy!!!

I've been just been sent a excerpt from "The West Australian" which I can't copy the link being pay view, which claims we have offered Tom Hickey a 3 year deal but the trade hinges whether we can find the right draft picks to suit WC. Anyone else heard this? I take it then Hickey is still contracted at WC for 2021? Despite being desperate for a Ruckman, it raises question if Hickey is worth pursuing if it's gonna cost us valuable draft points which we can't afford to lose without going into deficit in drafting Campbell/Gulden & using pick 3? I suppose the club would've already trolled lists for any FA ruckmen.

IF the Hickey story has any substance, our trading since the trade ban finished stinks.

Not one decent player has been traded in, only duds. Traded out plenty of good players in that time too...

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    What are the Swans thinking. Did they not learn from clogging the list with Lewis Taylor, Sam Gray and Kaiden Brand this year. Hickey for one year only and for a future fifth round pick at best and that would be overs. Not happy!!!
    Agree. If we can't get a better ruckman than Hickey, let's stick with Amartey and (it kills me to say it) Sinkers. They won't cost us any picks and we should be able to pick up a few more good players via the draft this year. Then, let's revisit the ruckman situation in a year's time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Agree. If we can't get a better ruckman than Hickey, let's stick with Amartey and (it kills me to say it) Sinkers. They won't cost us any picks and we should be able to pick up a few more good players via the draft this year. Then, let's revisit the ruckman situation in a year's time.
    Three years is over the top. One or two at a stretch. Not a great player but could be useful at getting first hands on ball. Love Sinkers who tries his best but he has become a liability in the ruck. Armartey would get monstered and Allir is better in defence and pinch hitting in the ruck. With the situation we're in, beggars can't be choosers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    IF the Hickey story has any substance, our trading since the trade ban finished stinks.

Not one decent player has been traded in, only duds. Traded out plenty of good players in that time too...
    There's a lot more truth to your statement then I had hoped. I looked up and the ins and outs of our trading only, not players drafted in. Draw your own conclusions:

* 2014 (trade ban)
    Out: Malceski, Biggs

In: Sinkers, Talia
    Out: Jetta, Bird

In: Edwards
    Out: Nanka, Mitchell

Out: Murray

In: Clarke, Thurlow, Mendel
    Out: Rohan, Hanners, Newman

In: Brand, Gray, Taylor

It is pretty hard to understand why we’d offer Hickey 3 years after Gray-gate and given he’ll be 30 next year.

We appear to be trying to bring in players on the cheap ATM (Brand and Gray were both DFA, Taylor cost pick 48), possibly so we won’t weaken our draft hand.

This feels like an extension of that strategy.

I would hope that this will change in the next 1-2 years to coincide with the end of the Buddy contract and the maturing of our list.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Was thinking the same thing re state leaguer!

We are obviously desperate for a ruckman and probably want one that can play seniors straight away. Is Hickey a better option than Sinkers??? Maybe, and I mean maybe... They are probably very similar in output so we are really just going for someone who we think is gettable out of desperation as there is nobody else in the AFL that is either gettable cheaply, or wants to come to us!

I would much prefer for us to take a stab at an unknown tall ruckman in one of the state leagues in their early 20s, someone who shows a bit of athleticism and hope for the best! Maybe there is no one out there? I know we have tried it in the past and failed (Knoll) so maybe that's it too? But I think the desperate bid on Hickey is a mistake as we may as well just stick with Sinkers for free... at least he has a crack!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

If we compare ourselves to the team that has won 3 GFs the last 4 or so years.

What do we see we are missing in our squad vs theirs? Besides dusty Martin

Have they attracted local or interstate returning talent more successfully than us?

How do they score their points vs us?

How do they stop the opposition from scoring vs how we do it?

Where do they have greater control of field position vs us?