Page 38 of 452 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Goes up to 11
    If clubs are forced to drastically cut list sizes, and a certain number 23 decides to (or is forced by injury to) retire, maybe given the extenuating circumstances we'd no longer have to carry his salary in our cap?

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    If clubs are forced to drastically cut list sizes, and a certain number 23 decides to (or is forced by injury to) retire, maybe given the extenuating circumstances we'd no longer have to carry his salary in our cap?
    I think the league would need to create some sort of exemption or waiver system that would allow us to get out of that contract. My understanding of the free agent contracts is that they have to be paid out in totality even if the player retires. Players that we trade for and draft can retire and their payouts can be negotiated by the club, but I believe free agents are locked in for that amount.

Personally I'm hopeful that Franklin will do a Goodes and have a bit of a resurgence in the winter of his career. Apparently he lost a big of weight over the summer to put less stress on his body, so maybe he needs to lose a bit more and play a bit lighter and push up on the wing and use his field kicking to get the ball inside 50. I don't know the answer but I'm hopeful that one will be found.

If the salary cap is drastically reduced then I say all bets are off with RFA. It’s moving the goalposts.

Is the Sqiz taylor, grey recruitment looking like a waste of dollars right now ? we are sprinkling in snr players that are cast out from other clubs like Thurlow, Taylor, Grey, Menzel, Clarke etc but not getting much value so far

I dont mind the argument that if you have some senior players come on board at low contract price, it allows your young team to function at least, but gee it is hard to watch the above players run around in the red and white

For me bringing in Dyl and Warner shows how committed we are to youth but it sure is a long road to get back to a top8 at this rate last couple of years

I wish we could still attract like the HAwks and Cats a few more snr players that make a serious difference to the output of the team.......shouldnt this be mandatory in the next trade period ?

I know we are different team with a firing Bud, Naismith and Reid and u could probably include a puzzle piece that may become essential for our backline ie Brand ....... but how different are we vs the top8?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Is the Sqiz taylor, grey recruitment looking like a waste of dollars right now ? we are sprinkling in snr players that are cast out from other clubs like Thurlow, Taylor, Grey, Menzel, Clarke etc but not getting much value so far

I dont mind the argument that if you have some senior players come on board at low contract price, it allows your young team to function at least, but gee it is hard to watch the above players run around in the red and white

For me bringing in Dyl and Warner shows how committed we are to youth but it sure is a long road to get back to a top8 at this rate last couple of years

I wish we could still attract like the HAwks and Cats a few more snr players that make a serious difference to the output of the team.......shouldnt this be mandatory in the next trade period ?

I know we are different team with a firing Bud, Naismith and Reid and u could probably include a puzzle piece that may become essential for our backline ie Brand ....... but how different are we vs the top8?
    I think Taylor is a bit hard done by. Only played 3-4 games in the team and has kicked 3 goals in one of them and looked lively in another. He's a much much better option than Ronke, I'd even have him in our best 22. Gray is worth another shot but the jury's definitely out on him, a bit disappointing really, I thought he was a good player for Port. Additionally I like Clarke and think he should be in a semi-permanent tagging role in our midfield. However I think the concern is with Kennedy, Parker and Hewett, if you throw Clarke into the mix as well it looks pretty bloody slow.

… Thurlow seems to be a dud.
    Last edited by longmile; 10th July 2020 at 11:22 AM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

Hawks and Cats = Brown paper bags. Gary Rohan must be playing for a brown paper bag of peanuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I think Taylor is a bit hard done by. Only played 3-4 games in the team and has kicked 3 goals in one of them and looked lively in another. He's a much much better option than Ronke, I'd even have him in our best 22. Gray is worth another shot but the jury's definitely out on him, a bit disappointing really, I thought he was a good player for Port. Additionally I like Clarke and think he should be in a semi-permanent tagging role in our midfield. However I think the concern is with Kennedy, Parker and Hewett, if you throw Clarke into the mix as well it looks pretty bloody slow.

Gray is no Usain Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't know whether Peter Wright should be targetted but we should consider him if there's nobody better. However I think he should be targetted primarily as either ruck or forward - we have to decide which. Probably as a forward who can relieve in the ruck. My impression is that he's quite different to Reid, Buddy, Blakey and McCartin - he's taller and less mobile. More the big body marking target. How are his contested marking stats?
    You were onto something here Bloodspirit back on June 30th, as I've now noticed a paywall HS article suggesting Vic clubs are circling Peter Wright thinking he's gettable (because he's from Melbourne I assume). Hope we're also in the mix.

I've also noticed a HS speculation piece suggesting Melbourne could also be a destination club for Joe Daniher because of their key forward woes. Being critical how they could've drafted one of the King twins instead of using their first pick to land Steven May.

I heard Sam Edmond on SEN yesterday say Papley is more likely to move on than stay, going by past history that players eventually get to their destination club, citing Bryce Gibbs as recent example and mentioning Ryan O'Keefe being the only exception.
    Last edited by KSAS; 11th July 2020 at 09:09 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    You were onto something here Bloodspirit back on June 30th, as I've now noticed a paywall HS article suggesting Vic clubs are circling Peter Wright thinking he's gettable (because he's from Melbourne I assume). Hope we're also in the mix.

I've also noticed a HS speculation piece suggesting Melbourne could also be a destination club for Joe Daniher because of their key forward woes. Being critical how they could've drafted one of the King twins instead of using their first pick to land Steven May.

I heard Sam Edmond on SEN yesterday say Papley is more likely to move on than stay, going by past history that players eventually get to their destination club, citing Bryce Gibbs as recent example and mentioning Ryan O'Keefe being the only exception.
    Edmond knows as much as you or I. Hot air to fill in time.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

Agree with that. The one that I'm most disappointed in is Thurlow. I thought that when he was dropped to the NEAFL, he would dominate and soon earn a recall. Instead, he just became a mediocre NEAFL player. I also have a higher opinion of Clarke, than most people on this site. And I think Taylor has played pretty well and I'm not sure why Gray is getting a game ahead of him.

Regular in the Side
    Some speculation that the Swans may try to get Nankervis back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I think it’s just speculation

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Now that he's injured?