Page 393 of 452 FirstFirst ... 293343383389390391392393394395396397403443 ... LastLast
Results 4,705 to 4,716 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Just goes to show what a @@@@ show AFL house is running atm . Surely teams should have been consulted about the proposed rookie list changes . Looks like a few teams where caught out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Was about to post the same thing. They are unprofessional and make up rules on the run.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    “The rookie list should be for players who haven’t played the game and that are a speculative pick and the reason why the rookie list was brought in was clubs didn’t want to take a punt on someone at $85,000 or $90,000 a year back in those days,”

“So they subsidised it, they made it a half-pay type of arrangement. So the rookies were asked to do less during the week. ‘Keep your job, keep your university or whatever it is and we’ll give you $45,000 to earn some opportunities at senior football’.

“It was an outrageous success. Players like Dean Cox and those sorts of guys who would take the risk.

“You can’t have it now as a facility to hide another spot for your list and that’s what it has become.

“If that’s what it is, then that’s what it is, but let’s not call it the rookie list.”

King believes teams should simply have to let the additional player go if the rookie list is the only alternative.

“If we didn’t have it, you’d have to delist someone to keep Eddie Betts on your list,” he said.

“There’s only a certain amount of spots. They’re basically using the rookie list spots for senior level experienced players and that’s not correct.

“And by the way it’s not the club’s fault here. Credit to Carlton and West Coast and GWS and Brisbane and all those teams, credit to them. Right now you’re able to do that and be subsidised to the tune of $80,000 per player as well, let’s not forget that.

“It doesn’t sit well with me that Birchall after winning four flags with the Hawks and is now seen as a rookie list player.”

“Why don’t we just not have it and force the clubs to manage their own lists.

“If you’ve run your list so tight that this one shift is going to cost someone a position, well so be it. Make your decision on that player.

“2020 has been a different year and maybe we just have to live with this one. Everyone’s losing players off every list this year, maybe this is the time to give some flexibility, but let’s put a line through this in 2021.”

David King posted this on SEN and for once I have to totally agree with King. It is a joke to consider the likes of Eddie Betts, Grant Birchall, Shane Mumford or Sam Gray as rookies. Bring back the veterans allowance or something but these guys are not rookies.
    Hocking isn't very good at his job. It's pretty annoying.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Still have to come to terms with him. Could receive a better offer.
    Gardiner talked about having made a 'commitment' to rookieing him. Seemed annoyed at being caught out by the late rule change.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That's true, but if he said "I'll wait until the draft, see what interest I get" he runs the risk of us having to look at other options in the mean time, and becoming interested in alternatives.

I'm sure it was virtually agreed a few days back that in principle it was just a technicality that we would delist him, and confirmed we would pick him in the Rookie Draft.

He can have the security of locking it in now - also means he won't have to move, so even if the deal we offer isn't amazing he'd save money staying rather than getting a slightly better deal elsewhere and having the cost of relocating. As others have said, there is a glut of depth players out there now, so at 27 he probably wouldn't have a lot of suitors.
    Fair call but his performance this season deserves better than a rookie spot. Genuine player now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Just strange - Kemp was at least still in the first round. And the only others that have got in twice already for another interview have picks 1, 2 and 4.
    I presume Carlton are interviewing Hollands twice in the hope he goes to a feeder club like GC/WS.

Then in 2 years time when they offer him 5 years at $800k they can say they’ve been tracking him closely since the draft.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Fair call but his performance this season deserves better than a rookie spot. Genuine player now.
    Plenty of good players been moved to the rookie list at other clubs as well, it's just a list management tool, he has all the same money and entitlements as a senior listed player. Mihocek at the Pies is still on the rookie list despite his great form of the last two seasons! Non issue

I hope this mess does not cost us the re-signing of Fox. He certainly deserves to play next season. The danger is that we sent a clear signal to him and he may look to go elsewhere on the basis of this. Hope I'm being overly pessimistic.

Senior Player
    It’s a tough life for 95% of professional sports people . We see the lifestyle and perceived income from the outside and have little understanding of the physical and physiological pressure and hard work that comes with the job.
    Most professional sports people usually have little choice in the location that they ply their trade
    Most participants understand this and adapt accordingly with the viewpoint that they are following their dream and have a lifestyle that most of us on the sidelines can only dream of 🤩
    Elite sportspeople occupy a unique place on the overall pie chart of human endeavour along with actors artists and singers.

Senior Player
    Apologies if this has already been shared but how good is this young man? Early call but I can see him as a 250 game player for the Swans and that left foot disposal is a thing of rare beauty
    https://youtu.be/9zExnGcjFrE
    Last edited by Faunac8; 27th November 2020 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Apologies if this has already been shared but how good is this young man? Early call but I can see him as a 250 game player for the Swans and that left foot disposal is a thing of rare beauty
    BRAEDEN CAMPBELL HIGHLIGHTS | 2020 AFL Draft Prospect - YouTube
    No need to apologise for posting that!!

Yep I suppose that is why we have done everything to be ready for pick 4 by the hawks which will most likely become pick 5

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    BRAEDEN CAMPBELL HIGHLIGHTS | 2020 AFL Draft Prospect - YouTube
    Thanks for posting! He has an awkward way of bouncing the ball but the handballs and kicks are magnificent. I've always thought that one of the most beautiful sights in football is a left footer on the run. This guy made me think of ex-Swans like Bayes, Browning, Maxfield!