Page 156 of 452 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,872 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    What's with the talk of Hewitt maybe leaving? Unless there's some sort of solid evidence of a player wanting out (or others wanting in), we should be staying upfront in our posts that it's just conjecture.

This is RWO, not the Melbourne media, so let's at least keep some vague relationship with reality.
    Until he signs a contract for next year he's a possibility of leaving

Sent from my vivo 1902 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    What's with the talk of Hewitt maybe leaving? Unless there's some sort of solid evidence of a player wanting out (or others wanting in), we should be staying upfront in our posts that it's just conjecture.

This is RWO, not the Melbourne media, so let's at least keep some vague relationship with reality.
    Agree. Lot of nonsense thrown out there from countless Melbourne footy journos. Feeding the neuroses of the nuffies and justifying their jobs.

Veterans List

Hear, hear!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    We aren't going to be active in trades this year. We don't have the picks available to us, or a player that's an asset that we're willing to move.
    I suggest considering Majak as a ruck option that's free on the open market. He never got a proper run in the ruck due to the durability of Goldstein. But he together with Aliir could form a formidable partnership of ruck/forwards.

We need to be prepared for shifting back to pick 5. Bulldogs are #1, and Adelaide will likely get #3 as comp for Crouch (after their current #2).

Getting Crouch is hard to judge the value in. Similar to Daniher, we can easily pay overs for one of them. Given we are already doing that for Buddy and Reid, that carries risk of squeezing out players we'd ideally keep.
    I can't see how Crouch would be a pick 3 compo. Martin maybe, but Crouch is a round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I can't see how Crouch would be a pick 3 compo. Martin maybe, but Crouch is a round 2.
    And not in our interest to offer him a deal that would push our pick 3 back to 4. Interesting times!

I'm still not convinced we are in the market for Crouch, but then I was totally blindsided by Buddy.

Veterans List
    Here's our drafting targets - A question asked of draft watcher "Knightmare" as to who are the best kicks in this draft, he replied

Elijah Hollands, Jack Ginnivan, Connor Downie (Haw) and Errol Gulden (Syd) are among those top of mind I'd have in the conversation. Definitely add Campbell. He's a top 1-3 kick. One of if not the most damaging kick.

So we all on board for elite kickers this draft?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    And not in our interest to offer him a deal that would push our pick 3 back to 4. Interesting times!

I'm still not convinced we are in the market for Crouch, but then I was totally blindsided by Buddy.
    Every body except for the leak proof half dozen involved were blind sided by that!

Crouch to us? Just a manager's hot air to pump up his client as I suspect the offers are below getting the Crows pick 2. JD yes, Crouch no.

I am not too surprised that we don’t have anyone in under 22 top 22 players. Many of the players are nearly 22 in that list and some of them such as king brothers are actually excellent.

I don’t think having an elite talent Of 1-3 players helps to win premierships anyway. If we have hardworking multiple players in the second 22 maybe, we should do very well. Our lads who have talent are all 20 and under - Rowbottom, Stephens, Jmac and McCartin.

Florent and Ling are the ones who were probably expected to get into that list but they are not and that is a bit disappointing.

I would get Elijah, Campbell and Gulden in this draft. Not worry about KPD or KPF. It takes years to develop them anyways and we can certainly buy them in a year or 2 if we think we are otherwise ok on our list.

Fix midfield depth First with talented 2 way runners and good kickers, followed by elite line breakers. This with atleast competitive Ruck. We have elite small forwards lined up already and I think our wing is going to be ok. Then we worry about KPF.

The best example of this is Brisbane Lions.... great midfield depth and ruck without good KPF and still doing well in the competition.

Veterans List
    I see Serong, a player many pundits had us selecting at pick 5 last year, won the best first year player. There is much positivity around Stephens here, and he's obviously a talented kid - but arguably, Serong might have been our third best midfielder already if we'd selected him. Beetson, who gets so many draft selections right, seems to get way too cute when it comes to the (non-academy) first round picks - dare I say it, Stephens has the whiff of Paddy Vezpremi about him. God I hope that's not how it plays out.

I think Stephens will really develop. Elite runner and can already win possessions. Needs to build up and learn. Give him time please. I recall thinking that McVeigh was a dud in his first season or two. How wrong was I!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I see Serong, a player many pundits had us selecting at pick 5 last year, won the best first year player. There is much positivity around Stephens here, and he's obviously a talented kid - but arguably, Serong might have been our third best midfielder already if we'd selected him. Beetson, who gets so many draft selections right, seems to get way too cute when it comes to the (non-academy) first round picks - dare I say it, Stephens has the whiff of Paddy Vezpremi about him. God I hope that's not how it plays out.
    I don't see the Vezpremi comparison at all. Vezpremi look like he struggled at the level pretty much straight away, whereas Stephens clearly has class (IMO), confidence and is improving game on game. With respect, I can't even conceive of a basis you'd make that comparison.

Some of these decisions are made keeping in mind what’s coming and what we have got. Serong probably may be similar to Campbell and hence not selected and also we need better wingman and players who can be inside and outside too. Hence Stephens. I think we did well there.