Page 79 of 452 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I think Florent's disposal is suffering from not having a lot of help in the midfield and coming up against top opposition. He may adjust. Hope so. But on his kicking. He is one of the best set shots in the side IMHO. He could be valuable up forward.
    Agree his set shots are good. Field kicking needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree his set shots are good. Field kicking needs work.
    Probably taking over the Jones role a bit..... break a line, look up and nothing to kick to

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Probably taking over the Jones role a bit..... break a line, look up and nothing to kick to
    i think you are right on that point but there are a couple of times a game when he does have time where he overkicks the target

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I think Florent's disposal is suffering from not having a lot of help in the midfield and coming up against top opposition. He may adjust. Hope so. But on his kicking. He is one of the best set shots in the side IMHO. He could be valuable up forward.
    Agree.. Florent is doing very well given the lack of help in the guts. He will be a 200 game player.

Florent's footskills are good. Anyway should have could have would have.. the argument as to who we have taken vs who we should have taken are superfluous - though I suspect we lose some and win some. To be fair to KB, he has won a lot more than he has lost .

Let's worry about the things we can control and that is the next draft and trade period.

I'm pushing Connor Blakely's recruitment - he is seriously tough, unheralded and undervalued by Freo. Would be a second and third rounder, and he would slot straight in to our side. My mail from some inside guys at the Dockers is that the ex-players are perplexed why Longmuir isnt giving him a game, when clearly he is in the best 4 mids at Freo

Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    I'm pushing Connor Blakely's recruitment - he is seriously tough, unheralded and undervalued by Freo. Would be a second and third rounder, and he would slot straight in to our side. My mail from some inside guys at the Dockers is that the ex-players are perplexed why Longmuir isnt giving him a game, when clearly he is in the best 4 mids at Freo
    I rate Blakely but the reason he isnt getting a game is well documented.
    Join the dots....
    A player asked for a trade out of Freo last year and got it......That player no longer has a girlfriend.....
    Need to be careful of the luggage you bring into a club

After raising the subject of recruiting Peter Wright, suddenly he's become a news item. Here are a few lines from SEN's Tim Watson, just one of several comments about why he can't get a game:

Whether it is at Gold Coast or at a new home, Watson believes Wright won’t make it as a key forward, but could make it as a ruckman who then rests inside 50.

“If you talked to people who watched him come through the juniors, he did get recruited as a forward, but I don’t see him being a modern day forward,” the former Essendon captain told SEN Breakfast.
    “I think what you’ve got to do is look at him as a ruckman and can he play as a ruckman forward as opposed to a forward who rucks.

This was my thought about Wright. I think he has the attributes to be a ruckman, who can go forward. It's a bit like the last (good) days of Tippett, when he proved to be an excellent ruckman and a threat going forward.

He might be gettable for a fairly reasonable price, seeing that he's being devalued as a forward and not yet proven as a ruckman, and GC usually let their players go cheaply.

One negative is that I believe he's on a pretty big contract, but those things are usually worked out.

Given our draft position, we would probably have to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder from 2021 to do a trade. Then we can use our 1st pick on a KPF and get the 2 Academy boys with with the remainder. There may be some other pick swaps if Campbell gets bid early.

That would pretty much lock out Joe Daniher.

If we recruit and draft 4 players this year, there won't be much room for new players in 2021, as JPK is the only potential retirement next year, and even that I would rate less than 50%.

Warming the Bench
    No that is not the reason Waswan. I have it on very good authority. Apparently, despite a lot of ex players pushing for his selection it is believed that he has fallen out with one player who holds a lot of weight at the club.

Join the dots .... you are either with that player or you are out... dare I say it look at Lachnie Neale??

Lachie leaving had nothing to do with the Brownlow medallist but everything to do with Freos GC recruit that is now at Melb.....

Blakely did screw up and fell out of favour with the group not a player

Syd76 and waswan I'm loving the nudge nudge wink wink nature of this thread. Although I don't fully understand the cryptic reference to Brad Hill's girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Syd76 and waswan I'm loving the nudge nudge wink wink nature of this thread. Although I don't fully understand the cryptic reference to Brad Hill's girlfriend.
    Langdon

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    After raising the subject of recruiting Peter Wright, suddenly he's become a news item. Here are a few lines from SEN's Tim Watson, just one of several comments about why he can't get a game:

Whether it is at Gold Coast or at a new home, Watson believes Wright won’t make it as a key forward, but could make it as a ruckman who then rests inside 50.

“If you talked to people who watched him come through the juniors, he did get recruited as a forward, but I don’t see him being a modern day forward,” the former Essendon captain told SEN Breakfast.
    “I think what you’ve got to do is look at him as a ruckman and can he play as a ruckman forward as opposed to a forward who rucks.

This was my thought about Wright. I think he has the attributes to be a ruckman, who can go forward. It's a bit like the last (good) days of Tippett, when he proved to be an excellent ruckman and a threat going forward.

He might be gettable for a fairly reasonable price, seeing that he's being devalued as a forward and not yet proven as a ruckman, and GC usually let their players go cheaply.

One negative is that I believe he's on a pretty big contract, but those things are usually worked out.

Given our draft position, we would probably have to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder from 2021 to do a trade. Then we can use our 1st pick on a KPF and get the 2 Academy boys with with the remainder. There may be some other pick swaps if Campbell gets bid early.

That would pretty much lock out Joe Daniher.

If we recruit and draft 4 players this year, there won't be much room for new players in 2021, as JPK is the only potential retirement next year, and even that I would rate less than 50%.
    Ludwig, discussion about the future of 2MP has been going on for some time now, specifically because he can't get a game. I don't think the Swans will necessarily follow your plan to trade him and therefore "lock out" Joe Daniher.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Langdon
    Forgot about him

Personally I'm not a fan of 2MP and don't see any reason why we should trade for him. We held onto Darcy Cameron for years and didn't use him, we currently have Knoll on our list and haven't used him at all, though at the moment that is because of injury. 2MP strikes me as a similar type of player to those guys, if we're not going to use them, why grab a similar who isn't an improvement? The one advantage he has over somebody like Knoll is that he is 4 years younger than him.

If we do end up chasing, I hope we don't give up a pick lower than #35 for him, assuming that he wants to play in the ruck as Sinclair's successor, we have no use for him as a forward. The benefit of that would be that we could use our first rounder this year to grab a KPD like Grainger-Barass. Even then, I'd prefer we go after somebody like Brayden Preuss rather than 2MP. Or Callum Coleman-Jones

I'm just not sure we should chase 2MP. If anything I'd rather we trade for a guy like Constable or Sier. We have a lot of smaller inside mids who are all around the 6ft mark, Rowbottom, Parker, Warner, Florent (though he's more of a winger). But we don't have an elite big bodied mid to replace Kennedy long term. I like Hewett as a midfielder/tagger, but I'm not so sure I'd rate him as elite. Constable and Sier aren't elite yet either, but I think they have a higher ceiling than Hewett and could be looking for a way out of their respective clubs.
    Last edited by dazedjosh; 12th August 2020 at 04:53 PM.