Page 165 of 452 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,969 to 1,980 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Everyone who thinks we need a gun ruckman to succeed should read that article......stuff it, I'll just quote the relevant section:

"Ruckmen in the modern game do not win you premierships. Ruckmen are the most overrated position in the game with the least influence on the outcome.

There is a litany of examples over the past decade of premiership-winning ruckmen being a small cog in the team’s overall success. Names like Ivan Soldo, Toby Nankervis, Scott Lycett, Nathan Vardy, Jordan Roughead and Ben McEvoy are all solid citizens but absolutely nothing more. They would all be in their premiership team’s bottom six.

There is no better example than Grundy himself in the 2019 preliminary final against GWS, which the Magpies lost. It was a game where Grundy dominated his position.

Grundy’s numbers in that game were extraordinary. He won 73 hit-outs and ten clearances. He had 25 disposals and the Magpies dominated the clearances 54 to 35.

If ruckmen were so influential, Collingwood should have won by ten goals. Alas, all the tap outs in the world couldn’t be converted into genuine match dominance."

We just need a strong midfield, which we are developing already and will strengthen at this years draft (along with, hopefully, a KPF through trading....just not Daniher or Brown! I'd rather Hogan, even with the risks involved).
    I agree mostly with that. Putting lots of cap dollars into Grundy or Nic Nat is not efficient.

I actually think Scott Lycett is about the perfect ruckman. He's very good, fairly cheap. We need to find that type again. Sinclair is 1000 miles away from Lycett.
    If Collingwood bomb out, we should go after Mason Cox as a ruckman. He'd be an excellent around the ground marking target.

It is public now that we have expressed interest in Preust. As well as GW$ allegedly.

Id prefer Nankervis to come back but happy with with either.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    It is public now that we have expressed interest in Preust. As well as GW$ allegedly.

Id prefer Nankervis to come back but happy with with either.
    It's nice to think that we're a much more attractive destination than GWS at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    It's nice to think that we're a much more attractive destination than GWS at the moment.
    Are we though? Depends what motivates Preuss, given he chose to give up being Goldy's understudy to do the same with Max Gawn.

Didn't realise Greg Stafford is the Dees ruck coach.

A few others mentioned in the AFL article including Nankervis, Tom Hickey, Sam Hayes, Max Lynch and Shaun McKernan

Third time lucky? Giants, Swans among clubs keen on big Demon Preuss

Wonder what they'd want for Preuss? Maybe they could package him up with Brayshaw?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone seen Preuss actually play a good game? I know I haven't.

I know he looks like a ruckman, but I haven't seen him play like an AFL standard ruck. And I'm not talking Nic Nat or Gawn level; just an ability to win some taps, make space for the mids, take the odd grab around the ground, and kick an occasional goal.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side
    I prefer to have Nankervis back if we can. He plays like Bloods.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Has anyone seen Preuss actually play a good game? I know I haven't.

I know he looks like a ruckman, but I haven't seen him play like an AFL standard ruck. And I'm not talking Nic Nat or Gawn level; just an ability to win some taps, make space for the mids, take the odd grab around the ground, and kick an occasional goal.
    i think, if he is allowed to settle in the role, he could become a more mobile version human wrecking ball like Mummy - space will be cleared because he will hurt anyone in his way. He is a very physical player. He collared one of the GWS speedsters a couple of weeks ago and stunned him

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Are we though? Depends what motivates Preuss, given he chose to give up being Goldy's understudy to do the same with Max Gawn.

Didn't realise Greg Stafford is the Dees ruck coach.

A few others mentioned in the AFL article including Nankervis, Tom Hickey, Sam Hayes, Max Lynch and Shaun McKernan

Third time lucky? Giants, Swans among clubs keen on big Demon Preuss

Wonder what they'd want for Preuss? Maybe they could package him up with Brayshaw?
    The line from that article which interests me is this one:

"Preuss will be a target, while Richmond is yet to sign up two-time premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis to a new deal."

Go for Toby.....he might well be a three time premiership ruckman soon. Richmond have recently resigned Chol (I believe?) and had Soldo ahead of Nanka before Ivan's injury. He may see the writing on the wall.....and he has unfinished business at the Swans as I doubted he wanted to leave in the first place.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 24th September 2020 at 02:58 PM.

Brody Mihocek | AFL for peanuts ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Ben brown officially on the market. Guy kicked 60 + goals three years in a row, he’s no mug. North would probably want a first rounder though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben would "score a behind" for the other team if he had to line up at the SCG every week.
    Drives me cray cray how he has to take 743 steps back to kick a goal.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Kinda happy to see the back of Stevie J.
    Best behinds coach we ever had.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Brody Mihocek | AFL for peanuts ?
    No, No, No and no..... unless as a defender. then maybe... for peanuts.