Page 145 of 452 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 1,729 to 1,740 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    One needs to approach these lists with caution. Not all delistings are the same. Membrey, for example, wasn't discarded because the Swans didn't think he was up to it. I am close to certain they offered him a new contract but he saw a log-jam ahead of him (especially once Goodes decided to play on for another season), and St Kilda offered him a long contract on pretty good money for a player with one senior game under his belt. The Swans delisted him rather than play games with the Saints, holding out for a trade, and allowed him to get to his club of choice without having to wait to go through the draft.

There was a similar story with Dylan Roberton, who was a regular in the Freo team. He had, as I understand, compelling family reasons to move to Melbourne, so Freo did the right thing by him and delisted him to clear an easy path.

There was some story behind the Lyons delisting too, though I don't know what it was. But Gold Coast didn't think he was a dud when they delisted him. He already had the promise of a spot with the Lyons. There must have been some reason why they didn't try and force Brisbane to trade for him but one can only speculate what that might have been.
    Agree about Membrey and Roberton. But I think Lyons was genuinely delisted and picked up with glee by Brisbane.

AFL: Jarryd Lyons delisted by Gold Coast Suns, set to join Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I made that comment tongue in cheek. Of course it would be insane. You would only trade those guys in if you were in a premiership window and felt they could get you over the line (which on current form would be a no).

On another note, our ruck situation is looking dire. Naismith is a crock. He would have to be almost zero chance of playing enough games in a season to make an impact. Sinclair, as whole hearted as he is, has looked very smashed up this season and is not just getting beaten in the ruck but also around the ground. Amartey and Knoll clearly are not the answer. McLean just not tall or mobile enough. We need to find ourselves a ready made ruckman and draft (main or rookie) a youngster.
    Wonder about Paddy Ryder as a band-aid solution

Veterans List
    With all these delistings could Gulden drift out in the trade order. That is clubs taking proven players early, at say late first round and second round to bulk up experience.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    With all these delistings could Gulden drift out in the trade order. That is clubs taking proven players early, at say late first round and second round to bulk up experience.
    None of those delisted players needs to go through the draft to join another club. They just need an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The reality is we're not going to get ourselves a Grundy, Gawn, Goldie or NicNat. I'd be happy with someone tall and big enough to compete in the ruck and mobile enough to get around the ground to compete and support our mids. Who that is (and available) I have no idea.

Rider is far too old

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Here you go

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...01-gsf5hw.html

Hits include:

Jeremy Laidler, Tim Membrey, Mitch Robinson, Joel Hamling.

I’d add Jarryd Lyons to that list
    It's amazing what you can learn from these journalistic stunners. You have to scroll down to the last entry, then this:

Tom Derickx (2013)
    Delisted by:
    Richmond
    Picked up by: Sydney
    After two games in three years at Tigerland, the inexperienced ruckman was snapped up by the Swans. Had a decent first year in the Harbour City after sitting out the first round, playing 12 matches in a row. But was dropped and then knee and hamstring injuries denied him any chance of featuring in the 2014 finals series. Managed just one more game in his final two years with the Swans as Sam Naismith, Toby Nankervis and Callum Sinclair all leapfrogged him in the ruck pecking order. Retired early last month

Tom Derickx comes through again, by retiring early for the 2nd time, thus opening another spot on our list and perhaps saving the career of young player who was headed for the delisting.

I thought I should add the pic, just so we don't forget the famous #19.

*Just realised that Tom was listed with the MISSES. Who would have thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    None of those delisted players needs to go through the draft to join another club. They just need an offer.
    You're losing it Nico. You'll never make 10,000 posts.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    The delisting will start with Reynolds. Then move to Gray. Then these guys are prime candidates:

Knoll, Maibaum, Rowles, E Taylor.

Maybes: Stoddart, Ronke, McLean, and Reid

Sinclair will probably be retained due to him being the experienced ruck. But I would prefer we retained either Knoll or McLean. Use Amartey and Aliir as ruck forwards next year.
    I expect Naismith may come under scrutiny, having played only 30 games in seven seasons including three seasons with no games and only two games since 2017.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I expect Naismith may come under scrutiny, having played only 30 games in seven seasons including three seasons with no games and only two games since 2017.
    His leg gets him out of it. See Jonno

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Saints at 9 wins and coming 7th

Reiwoldt bullish in his commentary that recruiting via quality trades is the smart option

i wondered how many of the below 10 or so traded in players at the Saints would be in our current best 22? is the Saints strategy of trading year after year working?

hannes
    jones
    hill
    butler
    howard
    steele
    carlisle
    ryder
    Membrey
    Kent
    Marsh
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Serious question, for anyone: when was the last time a delisted player went on to be a regular at a club who picked him up?
    Jordan Roughead Dogs to Pies? Matt DeBoar Freo to GWS? Collins Freo to VFL to Suns?

But the strike rate is very low. Can't think of any Swans that have gone elsewhere to be regulars.

Players who are cut by sides are rated in the late 30s, highly unlikely that a well tried player rated there by their current club will improve by half a list to become a regular 22 somewhere else

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Contract, has a contract