Page 244 of 452 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247248254294344 ... LastLast
Results 2,917 to 2,928 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I could handle losing Allir, especially if it got us Hayes in return ( maybe a late pick also ?) . I like AA, bit he’s not lived up to the form he showed in 2016, certainly not consistently. Mccartin moving to defence certainly helps, he defends and takes intercepts marks, and Dawson looks like he’ll be a good interceptor for years to come ( if he stays in defence). He doesn’t have the dash of Allir but the boot he possesses more than compensates in terms of providing drive out of defence.

Would be happy to keep him but it nets us a potentially good ruckman then it’s probably a good move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It might actually suit Port to do a player swap (Hayes for AA) rather than pay with picks as they are pretty light on for the points they need for their academy players. Their picks are 26, 29, 42, 50. That swap would be a win-win for both clubs.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Aliir to Port seems a strange move for him, I think he is still under contract? If so, I would not trade him for anything less than a second round pick. He is in our best team at present albeit performing below his potential.
    If Port gave us pick 26 it would solve a few problems

No to trading Alir, if we ever have a full complement of talls we can release Ramps as a running defender
    Also Alir is a backup ruckmen and to my knowledge we still need one

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    No to trading Alir, if we ever have a full complement of talls we can release Ramps as a running defender
    Also Alir is a backup ruckmen and to my knowledge we still need one
    What about the Hayes swap?

BTW the Age reporting that Freo have told other clubs they are open to trading Hogan.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...20-p566tq.html

Hayes is a classic example as to why you dont draft a ruck
    3yrs in the system, never heard of him and now we are talking of getting rid of our most versatile tall in his age prime for a bloke yet to play a game

Could be great, could be a bust could be anything in between.

Same surname and ive never heard of him.....He is the right size thats about it, he gets a small tick

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

BTW the Age reporting that Freo have told other clubs they are open to trading Hogan.

Know people that know Hogan, apart from struggling with the no d*ckheads test, heard he is as dumb as a box of hammers to the point where mad Freo fans had to walk away from him at a wedding due to the density of conversation

Senior Player
    With Aliir, my reluctance to let him go would be all his upside, as I agree he is a player without a position ATM.

The danger is another club figures out how and he plays to his potential.

SEN reporting we’ve enquired about Hogan!

Report: Dockers put duo on the trade table

- - - Updated - - -

That would be a great result
    Part of the reason Aliir appears to be a player without a position is because he was moved around the field to
    fill spots that were open due to injuries and Sinclair's struggles. He could just be called versatile. I used to be a
    be a bit harsh about him, but now for every "deer in the headlights" moment there are ten others where he
    does what he is supposed to.
    I think he can get better and we should get the benefit of that and not trade him.

Waswan makes a good point, re Allir V Hayes. Ones a versatile tall who plays regular seniors. The other an untried ruck.

I now think we would definitely need a pick back as well with that trade to even it out , third round probably about right but if we could snag a second rounder that would be a brilliant result. May have to send something back to get that result though. 4th round pick perhaps.

Allir & pick 52 for Hayes & pick 26 ( they also hold pick 31 so that would also be fair ).

Helps with the points deficit, potentially eases our ruck woes. Port get their man.
    We lose a very versatile and popular player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Part of the reason Aliir appears to be a player without a position is because he was moved around the field to
    fill spots that were open due to injuries and Sinclair's struggles. He could just be called versatile. I used to be a
    be a bit harsh about him, but now for every "deer in the headlights" moment there are ten others where he
    does what he is supposed to.
    I think he can get better and we should get the benefit of that and not trade him.
    Allir is too valuable to trade. Also, he seems to be the only one to effect an effective centre bounce clearance and that's after he contests in the ruck!

Providing the greatest probability for a team to move from the bottom of the table to back in the top8 and competitive is such an incredible puzzle to solve.

A web approach vs a mono approach re list management and peak performance, has arguably been the key. It is always an insightful process to remind ourselves where the vast majority of best 22 players come from.

There is no doubt that just because you have early picks in the draft doesnt mean success on the field. We have seen this with Melb, Carlton, Gold Coast, GWS. Equally some teams have recruited on the run with minimal top draft picks and been successful.

So far our key recruits with 1st round draft picks have been Ollie, Mills, Heeney, Stephens, Blakey, Hayward, Ling. Do these 7 players dominate a game? Not really.........but maybe soon? The Blakey experiment with midfield game time could look very different in 2021 / 22? Mills could move into the midfield if our backline goes to a next level. Heeney maybe delayed as a significantly difficult injury to heal quickly. Stephens could dominate like a Gaff on the wing. We will see !

The late picks > a high performing list needs a Parker, Rampe, Lloyd, Paps, Cunningham, Dawson, AA, Fox, Oriordan, Melican, McInerny Wicks ie these later picks to come through and be consistent contributors in the best 22.........In fact one would argue this segment determines a list more than any other, if done right as it makes up half a best 22 !

A high performing list needs to nail the mid range picks to become dominant players - Hewett, Rowbottom, Reid, McCartin, Gould, Warner etc

A high performing list needs some serious elite and or value trade opportunities to arise and count - Kennedy value through to Bud elite. Jury is out on Brand, Clarke, Thurlow and Taylor who we are fairly dependant on to bolster our best 22 via experience / mature bodies.

Finally injuries obviously hurt or hinder.......a club needs a run of injury free - Ling a top draft pick through to Bud etc out for long periods hurts our best 22 significantly.

I am excited by Stephens potential and a pick3 type opportunity this draft. Yet our ability to trade value players, trade elite players and to select mid range to late picks that go onto to dominate like a Rampe is just as important if not way more so !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I don’t understand why we would even contemplate trading Aliir???

He is still you young, has so much upside and is one of the most versatile players on our list.

Crazy

AA stays for me
    even if a early pick 30 came along unless we can trade in a very experienced tall back
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"