Page 7 of 452 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Interesting article from Jack Niall (Age) suggesting Brisbane would be a better fit for Daniher than us should he decide to exercise free agency at season's end. He based this on Brisbane being closer to a premiership, having a better midfield and more needing of a power forward whilst we have Buddy:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...26-p544oz.html
    Interesting part of the article for me was the suggestion that we were never really serious about trading big time for him. I reckon this is true because he approached us and we were sort of forced into looking interested in him and going through the motions during the draft period. Bit of a farce really, especially when he is a huge risk physically and is available as a free agent at the end of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=bloodspirit;791625]I think you guys are undererrating Hewett and underestimating his value to the team. He finished 2nd, I repeat 2nd, in our B&F last year. He fits the exact age and experience profile we need. He's learned to play alongside his teammates and they have built a synergy. He may also be less expensive than some of his flashier teammates. I suspect that he's still building his confidence as a leader and that once he develops a bit more in that space he could be part of our leadership group and drive the honest Bloods ethos.

No chance he's going anywhere if the club has a say.[/QUOTE

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Interesting part of the article for me was the suggestion that we were never really serious about trading big time for him. I reckon this is true because he approached us and we were sort of forced into looking interested in him and going through the motions during the draft period. Bit of a farce really, especially when he is a huge risk physically and is available as a free agent at the end of the season.
    Yep, Jack also allured JD might also be disappointed that we didn't push hard enough to get the trade done and so he's desire to join us might've now waned. Nevertheless Jack's take of our draft strategy with JD is in strike contrast with the many other so called footy experts who claimed it was a failure or embarrassment we didn't get the trade done.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think you guys are undererrating Hewett and underestimating his value to the team. He finished 2nd, I repeat 2nd, in our B&F last year. He fits the exact age and experience profile we need. He's learned to play alongside his teammates and they have built a synergy. He may also be less expensive than some of his flashier teammates. I suspect that he's still building his confidence as a leader and that once he develops a bit more in that space he could be part of our leadership group and drive the honest Bloods ethos.

No chance he's going anywhere if the club has a say.
    I'm not underestimating him. My query about his re-signing reflects that I rate him highly like you. Let's hope it's done soon.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Yep, Jack also allured JD might also be disappointed that we didn't push hard enough to get the trade done and so he's desire to join us might've now waned. Nevertheless Jack's take of our draft strategy with JD is in strike contrast with the many other so called footy experts who claimed it was a failure or embarrassment we didn't get the trade done.
    Lot of fake news in the Melbourne footy media.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think you guys are undererrating Hewett and underestimating his value to the team. He finished 2nd, I repeat 2nd, in our B&F last year. He fits the exact age and experience profile we need. He's learned to play alongside his teammates and they have built a synergy. He may also be less expensive than some of his flashier teammates. I suspect that he's still building his confidence as a leader and that once he develops a bit more in that space he could be part of our leadership group and drive the honest Bloods ethos.

No chance he's going anywhere if the club has a say.
    I am a Hewett fan, but I think that a midfielder who averages 21 disposals and performs run-with roles finished second in our B&F says more about the performance of our overall team last year than it does about Hewett. On the one hand you think his value is under-estimated to the team, but on the other hand you say he would be less expensive than his team-mates. His salary essentially reflects his value to the club. If he's really so valuable, who is to say he won't think we're low-balling him and walk out the door like Mitchell?

It's early days but I'm casting my eye ahead a little bit to the turnover of players that will come at the end of the season. I think we will turnover at least 6 players. It could be less - I think there is a requirement that you draft a minimum of three players? But realistically it's likely to be at least 6. I think it might be less than it has been in other recent years because we have such a promising, young list now.

I started turning my mind to who could be in the firing line, but then I looked back at the post that started this thread and saw that I have already given my views about that. I'm curious if anyone has any different views. Or even if you agree. Or, quite possibly you just think it's a stupid conversation to have at this time of year. I see that perspective but I bet our list managers are thinking about it already. And if it's soon enough for them, it's soon enough for me. Obviously an opinion given now is subject to what happens over the course of the season, and a lot could change.

Does anyone think there is any chance Buddy will retire? I don't see it happening, barring severe injury, and I think we will want him to go on given (a) he's so talented; and (b) we will have to count his salary in our cap anyway (even if we wouldn't actually have to pay him).

Suspended by the MRP
    Those I think won't make it: Bell, Amartey, Clarke, Thurlow.

Those I think will have to pull a proverbial rabbit out of the hat at some point this year: Maibaum, Ronke, Stoddart, O'Riordan, Fox, Melican.

Ling probably has a bit more wiggle room as a first-rounder and popular figure at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Those I think won't make it: Bell, Amartey, Clarke, Thurlow.

Those I think will have to pull a proverbial rabbit out of the hat at some point this year: Maibaum, Ronke, Stoddart, O'Riordan, Fox, Melican.

Ling probably has a bit more wiggle room as a first-rounder and popular figure at the club.
    Why do you think Bell? I would have thought Stoddart is under more pressure to show something than Bell. Other than a few glimpses early one season a few years ago really hasnt done a lot since.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Perhaps we are waiting to see his performance in 2020. As it stands right now, he is very much a replaceable member of the best 22. The coaching staff may be waiting to see if he takes that next step and becomes on par with Kennedy and Parker, which has been the hope with Hewett all along.
    Perhaps he is waiting to see how the team performs in 2020 before making any decisions.

I think it will depend on position as well. Last year the three rookie rucks got re-signed early. Whilst someone like Hirst was unlikely when we signed Gray, Taylor, Papley stayed and Gulden/Campbell looked good in the futures games.

I can see Clarke being re-signed because he can play as a inside mid with decent running ability.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Why do you think Bell? I would have thought Stoddart is under more pressure to show something than Bell. Other than a few glimpses early one season a few years ago really hasnt done a lot since.
    They were drafted the same year weren't they? So I'm not sure why Stoddart would be under any more pressure than Bell. Stoddart made the NEAFL Team of the Year last year, while Bell's trajectory looks similar to Jordan Foote.

I don’t see enough neafl to know stoddarts effectiveness at that level but just basing it on who has been given the greater opportunities at Afl level .

You still haven’t explained why bell is under pressure - comparing to Foote is not an explanation .

Don’t get me wrong I’m not a fan of bell and actually didn’t think he was that effective when I did watch him but just interested in your view

Page 7 of 452 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast