Page 280 of 452 FirstFirst ... 180230270276277278279280281282283284290330380 ... LastLast
Results 3,349 to 3,360 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Pick 7 compo for JD. It’s substantial for a guy that’s played 15 games in 3 years ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ridiculous price to pay

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Ridiculous price to pay
    But Brisbane are having to pay him in excess of $700k a year to trigger this, so there is a salary cap cost to them.

It’s been suggested that the big salary for Daniher, Neale, Zorko etc may squeeze out Rayner and McCluggage.

Pushing for Selection
    With the bombers now having pick 7 and likely to have at least 1 more early pick does anyone have any thoughts on using pick 3 on Campbell? Dodo could be quite likely to put a bid in for him with an early pick which might be hard for us to match.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    With the bombers now having pick 7 and likely to have at least 1 more early pick does anyone have any thoughts on using pick 3 on Campbell? Dodo could be quite likely to put a bid in for him with an early pick which might be hard for us to match.
    There's a bit of legitimate anxiety with the draft order and it being compromised. Here is status quo at the moment as I see it ...

1. Adelaide - Ugle-Hagan (Dogs match)
    2. Adelaide - McDonald
    3. North - Thilthorpe
    4. Sydney - either Hollands or GB
    5. Hawthorn
    6. Gold Coast
    7. Essendon
    8. Essendon

If Adelaide get pick 2 for Crouch (which would be criminal compensation for losing him), then I still see either Hollands or GB still available at our pick. It would be foolish if Adelaide ends up with pick 2 and trades with Essendon because it's rare to be able to nab two potentially elite players like McDonald and Thilthorpe. They could become the foundation of a very good team. The trick is keeping them together and have them buy into staying at your footy club. That's something the Gold Coast is beginning to do.

Even if Essendon swaps for Adelaide's potential pick 2 compensation, would they really bid on Campbell over Thilthorpe or McDonald? What if we declined to match? You typically bid on the player you want and rate at that point of the draft. Would Essendon be happy walking away with Campbell at pick 3 (if we decide not to match)? I can't see it happening. They'll be wanting to replace JD with a KPF to satisfy everyone at Bomberland.

I think we stay the course and end up with a good player before we need to match for Campbell or we use pick 3 (which is fast becoming pick 5) to trade in a gun from another team ... and then match for Campbell and Gulden.

Senior Player
    Which players, if any, generated a compensation bid as high as pick 2? I don't think there are any.

Tom Lynch garnered pick 3 for Gold Coast, Dale Thomas pick 11 for Collingwood, Brendon Goddard pick 13 for St Kilda, James Frawley pick 3 for Melbourne, Tom Rockliff pick 19 for Brisbane and of course Franklin pick 19 for Hawthorn.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    One player who it might be worth pursuing is Jarrod Brander at the Weagles: pick 13 in 2017, 195cm, can’t break into their forward line.
    News that he will do pre season as a defender

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Which players, if any, generated a compensation bid as high as pick 2? I don't think there are any.

Tom Lynch garnered pick 3 for Gold Coast, Dale Thomas pick 11 for Collingwood, Brendon Goddard pick 13 for St Kilda, James Frawley pick 3 for Melbourne, Tom Rockliff pick 19 for Brisbane and of course Franklin pick 19 for Hawthorn.
    Pick 2 for Crouch is the highest ever awarded and clearly well over what Crouch is worth on the open market. This draft is becoming a mess with all the extra picks added, highly rated NGA's and no Vic U18 form line. We will do well with pick 4 and the two academy players who we know intimately.

It's a bit disturbing that Daniher garnered the Dons a first round compensation pick for a 3 year contract. How can the AFL then justify less than a first round compensation pick to the Crows for Crouch getting 5 years? Even if the amount p.a. is less, the contract overall would still be a worth a fair bit more overall. Surely Daniher's contract is only $700K p.a. if he plays consistently, not as a base wage? And yet surely that can't be the basis of calculating the compensation because there's so much risk it won't happen, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post

It’s based on ladder position though unfortunately. If crows finished 4th then it would be a pick 16 or so ( assuming they get first round compo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Why 80%? 100% would be far fairer.
    Father/son players are 80%. Academy players are 80%. It makes sense for free agency to be 80% for consistency, though I have no problem with discussing this figure.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    It's a joke. We have a draft that is supposed to be helping equalisation.
    It is helping equalisation. Essendon are a sick team and need lots of help.

This compo pick puts them in the box seat to rebuild through the AFL's new Picks For PEDs program.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    News that he will do pre season as a defender
    That’s because he can’t break into the FWD line ... which implies he’s gettable. Hogan has been training at Freo to become a defender.