Page 151 of 452 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,812 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With McCartin doing so well as a KPD and Aliir looking as though he could become a good forward/ruck with a pre-season of training, we don't seem so vulnerable at any position going into 2021.

We certainly need more ruck coverage and it's not clear how that comes about, especially as there are several clubs looking for ruckman for next year.

Reid looked a lot better today than last week and expect that he can fill a KPP role adequately enough if we have someone, like Buddy, to take the #1 forward role. We will have to get a forward, like Daniher as a FA, or a KPF in the draft, to get us into the post Buddy era.

I like Dawson in defence, but with Rampe returning and Gould, Brand and O'Connor perhaps challenging for spots in defence, a versatile player like Dawson is likely to show up on the wing or half forward.

I wouldn't be looking to change too much other than these things in the post-season and go into 2021 with the same hand as this year, for the most part.
    Finding a number 1 ruck is the key for me and I do agree with Dawson being on a wing. His composure and elite kicking across midfield can really open up holes in the opposition defence.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Macdonald for mine is the obvious pick. Has done well in the WAFL, and could easily be ready to play AFL footy in season 2021 for mine. We have to be thinking post buddy now with the choice, and if Thilthorpe is already gone (I do like the idea of finding a forward/ruck), then that's where I would go. Frees up McCartin to be our CHB going forward as well.
    I think we have found a forward/ruck in Alir. He just needs to build his tank as he does tire easily but being smarter with his running patterns should improve this. I'm still inclined to go for the best midfielder at No 3 (Hollands/Phillips). MacDonald is tempting as he has shown he can mark in traffic in senior football which for a young key forward is rare. He's a good kick and I wouldn't be unhappy if we selected him. The recruiters may go that way seeing we will get Campbell and Gulden in later picks.

Thinking about our ruck issues, our best hope is to engineer an inspired, left field selection of an unheralded ruckman, then turn him into a solid contributer a la Mummy and Pyke. If we made those moves today, there would be plenty of knockers - Mummy too fat and unfit, Pyke no experience Rugby fullback.

I wonder if there's someone floating around the tier immediately below AFL we could rookie list? Or trade in someone like Archie Smith who has been behind Stef for a long time and now looks to have fallen behind the Big O? Many are pushing for Preuss - I have my concerns about anyone who seems to be happy to be backup but he could be another Mummy as well..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Thinking about our ruck issues, our best hope is to engineer an inspired, left field selection of an unheralded ruckman, then turn him into a solid contributer a la Mummy and Pyke. If we made those moves today, there would be plenty of knockers - Mummy too fat and unfit, Pyke no experience Rugby fullback.

I wonder if there's someone floating around the tier immediately below AFL we could rookie list? Or trade in someone like Archie Smith who has been behind Stef for a long time and now looks to have fallen behind the Big O? Many are pushing for Preuss - I have my concerns about anyone who seems to be happy to be backup but he could be another Mummy as well..........
    In the second academy game against GWS, there was an ex-rugby player, Lachlan McAndrew. He looked more like 210cm, than 200cm. He dominated in the ruck. Late in the game, he seemed to have been given the instructions to thump the ball into space; which he did. Seems to have a reasonable amount of pace. He's also been playing for Manly in the SFL. In their last game, he was rated as their BOG.

However, he is a beanpole, so there might be some doubt on his durability? Though spending time in rugby scrums, probably means that he has some sort of toughness. Could be worth a spot on the rookie list, as a project ruckman.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In the second academy game against GWS, there was an ex-rugby player, Lachlan McAndrew. He looked more like 210cm, than 200cm. He dominated in the ruck. Late in the game, he seemed to have been given the instructions to thump the ball into space; which he did. Seems to have a reasonable amount of pace. He's also been playing for Manly in the SFL. In their last game, he was rated as their BOG.

However, he is a beanpole, so there might be some doubt on his durability? Though spending time in rugby scrums, probably means that he has some sort of toughness. Could be worth a spot on the rookie list, as a project ruckman.
    There was a bit about him (and another recent raw ruck "find" on the Swans' website a few weeks back.

Academy plays the patient game

Both sound like players to wait and see how they develop next year and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There was a bit about him (and another recent raw ruck "find" on the Swans' website a few weeks back.

Academy plays the patient game

Both sound like players to wait and see how they develop next year and beyond.
    Yes, and having ruck whisperer, Taubert, giving them advice, can only help.

Regular in the Side
    My son who follows the footy more closely than I do feels that Adelaide will get pick two compensation for losing Brad crouch pushing our pick back to pic 4 do people think that's right or his wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    My son who follows the footy more closely than I do feels that Adelaide will get pick two compensation for losing Brad crouch pushing our pick back to pic 4 do people think that's right or his wrong
    Nobody knows how the AFLs secret mixture of “herbs and spices” works!

My expectation is that there is no way the AFL gives them pick 2. Might give them a mid (somehow) or end of first rounder.

Which makes it more likely they’ll try and force a trade.

The Hun saying the Bombers might not try and force a trade for Daniher if the AFL says they’ll get pick 7 as compensation.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

My expectation is that there is no way the AFL gives them pick 2. Might give them a mid (somehow) or end of first rounder.

The Hun saying the Bombers might not try and force a trade for Daniher if the AFL says they’ll get pick 7 as compensation.
    They can't force anything, anyway. He's out of contract, so he can just walk to the preseason draft. Other teams have shown a reluctance to interfere with that process. Luke Ball went through to 30 something and the Sun's bloke who ended up at Carlton last year slipped through to them. By the time the PSD comes around most teams have got their TPP filled up. All Daniher needs to do is put a price on his head that he knows Adelaide and North won't match.
    Last edited by The Big Cat; 21st September 2020 at 03:07 PM.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Given the strange year we have had (and not Vic under 18 games), I feel that the top 10 are going to far more difficult to pick this year and there will be a heap of 'sliders'.

Campbell and Gulden give us a couple of top 20 picks already, so I would be open to trading pick 3 if the right deal was to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Agree about the compensation probabilities. But I think Adelaide should be happy enough to get a mid 1st rounder for Crouch. I don't know if any club would be willing to give more. Maybe he just stays at Adelaide.

I think if we want Daniher and we can come to a salary deal then Essendon will let him got for a compo pick 7. This story could unfold this week. Once we see what's happening with Daniher, we can plan the rest of the trade and draft season.

based on how Daniher played on the weekend - you only want him for what he showed when played in the ruck in the last qtr. for the first 3/4 he looked disinterested or injured