Page 42 of 452 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

1. I liked Charlie Gardiner as a player, but seeing him now as footy manager, I would never expect that he had previously played football. I don't know why the footy manager has to take up some of the media roles that they do at the Swans. We have media people at the Swans; why don't they do these video reports? I don't think his poor on camera performances reflect Charlie's competency as a football manager. I have no idea if he's any good at his job as a manager.
    2. I usually love going through trade and draft strategies, but with so much hanging in the air this year, like list size and TPP adjustments, as well as the usual pick swaps in trade period, I don't think we can take much from where things stand now with our projected draft picks, although we should get a top 10 and even a top 5 looks likely. That should get us a pick before Campbell, so we could walk away with some good talent this year. I also thought that we might swap our first rounder this year for one in 2021, depending on the circumstances. A Papley trade is still looming, which should draw a first rounder, but I truly hope this doesn't come to pass.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Our offer for Daniher supposedly included our first round pick for this year ... Dodged a huge bullet!
    I'd hate to think what the Don's actually wanted.

Even our offer for Daniher makes me wonder whether the Swans really believe that they absolutely must have a high profile key forward/Marketing icon. Do we?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    We have the points to match a bid from pick 7 onwards without deficit from 2021.

The deficit is taken from your same round pick next year so if Gulden is bid on after pick 19, we'll get the 20% discount and it will be taken off our 2021 second rounder or 2021 Third rounder if Gulden is bid on after pick 37.

There's unlikely to be much, if any, U18s in Victoria but U18 kids are showing their wares in the various levels of SANFL & WAFL so wouldn't be surprised if there's a number of those rise up the draft board that potentially push back a bid for Campbell.

Bulldogs NGA Ugle-Hagan is likely to be the number 1 pick and Crows won't pass up the opportunity to take local boy Tilthorpe, we'll take the best mid so that's three picks down, reckon Campbell will safely get past pick 7. Can't see us not taking Gulden as well regardless of having to probably use 2021 points, we know him better than any potential second or third rounder next year.

Although we don't want to think about it, if Papley gets traded we'll have another good first rounder. As always, will be an interesting trade and draft period in December or January or whenever it is :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I'd hate to think what the Don's actually wanted.

Even our offer for Daniher makes me wonder whether the Swans really believe that they absolutely must have a high profile key forward/Marketing icon. Do we?
    Though I don't mind thinking, that there must be many peeved Bomber fans, who now think that they should've taken whatever we were offering. Instead, they played hardball on a player who might not play another game for them, before leaving the club for minimal compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Though I don't mind thinking, that there must be many peeved Bomber fans, who now think that they should've taken whatever we were offering. Instead, they played hardball on a player who might not play another game for them, before leaving the club for minimal compensation.
    There would be many peeved Bomber fans but knowing what the average Bomber fan is like, they would never admit it..............

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Gardiner is a big a dud as Thurlow.

Why our board thought a corporate lawyer could be a team manager is another very poor decision.
    He is also a former AFL footballer.....which I'm sure you are aware of. The way he speaks gives no indication of how he actually does his job within the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Gardiner is a big a dud as Thurlow.

Why our board thought a corporate lawyer could be a team manager is another very poor decision.
    I like how Gardiner comes across in interviews. He seems very down to earth with no ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    There would be many peeved Bomber fans but knowing what the average Bomber fan is like, they would never admit it..............
    Of course, some people would say that's what social media is for.

charlie vagues out a bit but he is thrown in to build his media and public speaking skills

i dont remember tom H acing it straight away

ill reserve judgement till next year
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    One thing that surprises me about the Academy is that we don't appear to have found any giants. You think the Academy recruiting folk would wander the streets spotting young stringbeans asking them what they wanted to do with their lives. Surely our next ruckman is out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    We have the points to match a bid from pick 7 onwards without deficit from 2021.

The deficit is taken from your same round pick next year so if Gulden is bid on after pick 19, we'll get the 20% discount and it will be taken off our 2021 second rounder or 2021 Third rounder if Gulden is bid on after pick 37.

There's unlikely to be much, if any, U18s in Victoria but U18 kids are showing their wares in the various levels of SANFL & WAFL so wouldn't be surprised if there's a number of those rise up the draft board that potentially push back a bid for Campbell.

Bulldogs NGA Ugle-Hagan is likely to be the number 1 pick and Crows won't pass up the opportunity to take local boy Tilthorpe, we'll take the best mid so that's three picks down, reckon Campbell will safely get past pick 7. Can't see us not taking Gulden as well regardless of having to probably use 2021 points, we know him better than any potential second or third rounder next year.

Although we don't want to think about it, if Papley gets traded we'll have another good first rounder. As always, will be an interesting trade and draft period in December or January or whenever it is :-)
    Excellent post. Makes sense to me.

I don't see why we'd trade Papley. I think he'll only be halfway through his 4 year deal and so I don't think we'll be under that much pressure to do so. And clearly he's not the type to have sour grapes. Worked out ok for us with Pebbles.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post

It's funny how the comprehensible "My club right or wrong" attitude can drift towards "My club is always right, nomatter what happens"
    Shortly followed by the corollary that "anyone having-a-go at my club is wrong"

Thank goodness RWO is immune, from such fallacious thinking.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.