Page 12 of 452 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I wonder how we would assess Daniher after playing zero games?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    How big will AFL lists be next year? Plenty of talk they will be trimmed down.

Maybe there is no draft this year and the AFL uses this as the opportunity to finally do what lots of people have been calling for, draft age out to 19. Draftees will be more mature, less likely to suffer homesickness, will have a year of playing against men so easier to work out who will transition better to AFL.

2020 is not the time to have a false bounce up the ladder if it ends up a very much shortened mickey mouse season, better to languish in high draft pick territory and get a pick in before Campbell gets a bid.
    Good post. ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Could be a heap of great players avaible if a few clubs fold
    Especially at GWS. 😜

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    How big will AFL lists be next year? Plenty of talk they will be trimmed down.

Maybe there is no draft this year and the AFL uses this as the opportunity to finally do what lots of people have been calling for, draft age out to 19. Draftees will be more mature, less likely to suffer homesickness, will have a year of playing against men so easier to work out who will transition better to AFL.

2020 is not the time to have a false bounce up the ladder if it ends up a very much shortened mickey mouse season, better to languish in high draft pick territory and get a pick in before Campbell gets a bid.
    Languish in high draft pick territory means languishing in bottom four territory. Time for this rebuild to start netting a profit, preferably in results, not high draft picks. Another season like last year and many, myself included, will have every right to question if this rebuild is going anywhere.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Languish in high draft pick territory means languishing in bottom four territory. Time for this rebuild to start netting a profit, preferably in results, not high draft picks. Another season like last year and many, myself included, will have every right to question if this rebuild is going anywhere.
    That's if we get more footy this year!

Fitness and mindset will be all over the place for clubs, teams and individuals IF footy resumes. May not be a lot to take out of this year for anybody.

Kirky
    The message map whisperer will rise up

Given our urgent need like all Clubs to significantly reduce the soft cap for coaching and football operations it will be interesting to see who survives the inevitable cull.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Given our urgent need like all Clubs to significantly reduce the soft cap for coaching and football operations it will be interesting to see who survives the inevitable cull.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Short term or long term? In the short term they haven't been very transparent. I suppose that, like other clubs, we have let 80% of our staff go already but I can only guess who.

I would imagine the core will be Harley, Gardiner, Longmire, Beatson & Dalrymple from the football side of things, both short and long term. Maybe the CFO and Rob Spurrs (in charge of high performance) too. Long term I have very little clue.

Veterans List
    We've got into this position financially because of the off field arms race initially started by the Pies who have far too much spare cash. When the AFL said they were going to tax the Footy Department spending on a $ for $ basis over the prescribed amount, Fat Face Maguire strong armed them into putting a maximum tax cap of $500k. That meant that you could spend millions over the Soft Cap and only pay $500k tax. I'm fairly sure those are the facts.

Why have a soft cap that only advantages the wealthy clubs, Pies, WCE, Tigers, Injectors? Maybe now is the time to make Footy Dept spending a hard cap at a much reduced level to the current Soft Cap. The images of the Essendon coaching box on game day are mind boggling, time to stop?

Anyway, probably the wrong thread for this!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Good post. ^^^

Especially at GWS. 😜
    We know Eddie will be working furiously behind the scenes to make it happen.

Beatson confident in scouts

Reports that Gillon McLachlan is confident this year's draft will go ahead.

Kinnear says scouts will be ready to go even if they don't get to see draftees play a game this year. Interestingly he also mentions "if" the draft age remains 18. He is also quoted as saying: "There's a lot of water to go under the bridge in terms of list sizes, there's a lot of player contracts in place so we have to know what happens with them, what the total player payments looks like, whether there's rookies, what the domestic leagues look like, where your other players outside of the senior team will be playing – all of those are questions yet to be answered,".

Some other clubs, particularly those who have invested more heavily in the 2020 National Draft, are less sanguine: https://www.afl.com.au/news/390572/f...aft-investment.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 3rd April 2020 at 02:54 PM.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Some players who did little as under agers suddenly "explode" as 18yo and vice versa. Could end up a draft where players picked are a bit of a lottery.

Also the spectre of reduced lists means clubs may not want to use picks unless they are confident of the talent but would prefer to hold onto players already on their list instead.

Future picks, what a nightmare, no more play this year to set a draft pick order, what a nightmare. I reckon they would be better biting the bullet and move the draft age up to 19 and cancel this years draft. But the AFL do like the show piece of the draft!

Whatever they decide, Campbell and Gulden are ours.

Another thought on the topic of list management: perhaps the likely possibility of having to renegotiate contracts will give Papley the opportunity to depart that he has been craving. While I don't doubt his commitment to the team during the season, I do doubt that his desire to return to Victoria has altogether dissipated. Fortunately, between Gray and Taylor and Ronke and Wicks and the incoming Gulden and Campbell it would be a loss we will be fairly well placed to cover. Will we still want, and be able to afford, JD? Impossible to tell at this stage. So much left to play out.