Page 258 of 452 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308358 ... LastLast
Results 3,085 to 3,096 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We could package up the Ollie and Will Show.
    You won't get an invite to the wedding if you keep talking like that.

just checking in on that again Ludwig

So many want pick 3 this draft and see that pick 3 is a non negotiable

yet you are saying that if we went from say pick 5 to pick 12 in next draft (2021) due to a 600 pt plus deficit that is not a big deal ?

why would we not consider that same strategy in this draft instead......... based on the idea of "no probs re sliding back" given we are in such a weak draft this year vs next year supposedly?

I suppose the Swans will be reviewing all players on our list and deciding have we got some double ups in roles?

Have we got a better option to trade in for specific roles?

I would think Hewett is on anyones list to trade if we can help it?

For me re Hayward i am open to a trade at the right draft pick or traded player ie a better solution......... as we have a lot of options in the forward line and we may be able to increase our team performances from 5 wins in 2020 via better solutions
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Whatever we do, we must match bids on Campbell and Gulden. Both are good enough prospects to be drafted by us, even if they weren't academy boys. Imagine the message you send to the local talent and all associated with our academy if we don't match bids on them? Might as well save ourselves some cash and shut it down..............

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This deficit business is way overblown. To even consider trading Aliir or Hewett, 2 established players in our best 22, just to reduce a possible 2021 points deficit is placing far too much importance on this potential deficit. We can probably fix a points deficit problem on draft night by swapping 2021 non-first round picks for one or more in this year's draft. Even if we drop some places for our 1st rounder next year, so what? If we use our picks wisely this year and get the players we want, the deficit is almost irrelevant.
    Absolutely agree. We know what we are getting this year. Two academy boys we know the abilities of without guessing, and a rare top five pick where it is difficult to mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    just checking in on that again Ludwig

So many want pick 3 this draft and see that pick 3 is a non negotiable

yet you are saying that if we went from say pick 5 to pick 12 in next draft (2021) due to a 600 pt plus deficit that is not a big deal?

why would we not consider that same strategy in this draft instead......... based on the idea of "no probs re sliding back" given we are in such a weak draft this year vs next year supposedly?
    I've commented many times that I think a scenario where we go into a 2021 1st round deficit is highly unlikely. There are so many ways to fix or minimize the problem, which would only exist if Gulden gets bid in the first round, say by pick 23 or thereabouts.

We can be nearly certain that the picks we take to the draft will change due to some trade or trades, so the scenarios being discussed are unlikely to be present when the draft comes along.

But even if nothing changes before the draft, if we are happy with our selection with pick 3, plus get 2 gun midfielders, and that costs us a drop of 7 places in the 1st round next year, it wouldn't bother me. We would be adding 3 first round picks to a list already laden with young talent. We won't need any draft picks in 2021. The biggest problem we'll be facing is giving all these draft picks taken in the past several years enough opportunities so they don't ask to be traded.

There's so much to play out before the draft that I wouldn't bother thinking too hard about our 1st pick in the 2021 draft right now. Let's see how things go over the next few weeks then reassess the situation. It's fair enough to consider trading one or more of our best 22 players if a situation comes up that warrants such a trade, but I wouldn't think that protecting an unlikely, yet possible drop in our 2021 draft position to be one of those situations. It's like trying to kill a fly with a bazooka.

Veterans List
    With this years pick 3 we know the player that will be available there and can rate them.

2021, what about if we march up the ladder and end up with say pick 10 or 11 or 12, we don't know who will be available then.

Bird in the hand stuff, take this years pick 3, next year will be what it is.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This deficit business is way overblown. To even consider trading Aliir or Hewett, 2 established players in our best 22, just to reduce a possible 2021 points deficit is placing far too much importance on this potential deficit. We can probably fix a points deficit problem on draft night by swapping 2021 non-first round picks for one or more in this year's draft. Even if we drop some places for our 1st rounder next year, so what? If we use our picks wisely this year and get the players we want, the deficit is almost irrelevant.
    The deficit is likely to be in the 500 to 800 points range. That's not small.

Three clubs are going to this year's draft with points deficits:
    * Fremantle (264.9 off first round pick)
    * Greater Western Sydney's (254.2 off second-round pick)
    * Port Adelaide's (115.9 off second-round pick)
    Total 635.0 points.

We could be heading to the draft with a deficit about as big as these combined if we don't act. The AFL may even disallow it altogether, which is not an insignificant risk.

I expect there will be plans to reduce such a deficit, and some trading of future picks is a likely way this would be done.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

The worst case is the bid will come at Pick 6 from Dodoro

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Whatever we do, we must match bids on Campbell and Gulden. Both are good enough prospects to be drafted by us, even if they weren't academy boys. Imagine the message you send to the local talent and all associated with our academy if we don't match bids on them? Might as well save ourselves some cash and shut it down..............
    I certainly hope we get them both, but for the right 'price'. Like any other draftable player, we'll have figured out where they sit in the draft pecking order, and if a bid comes in at ridiculous overs, maybe we should let them go.

The academy is in the business of producing AFL players - the message it sends the top players coming out of the academy is to be prepared to be taken by any team and play anywhere.

Senior Player
    If I'm not mistaken the NSW Draft Combine starts today.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade our 2021 first round pick for a 2020 top 10 pick to help ensure we don't incur a 2021 first round deficit.

hopefully it is not a Mills scenario.........that would massively hurt this draft
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"