Page 84 of 452 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 997 to 1,008 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Williams would a lot in nicely off half back, and can also play on the ball as he showed last year ( or was it the previous year? ) when they had quite a few guns out.

Adam Saad is also out of contract, if it’s a gun speedy half back we’re after he’d have to be looked at. Probably come cheaper than Williams too.
    Saad is not moving, chose Essendon when he went back to Melbourne because of it's location near his mosque and family.

After tonight's shock result we're out to pick 3, don't want it to slip much further or we may not get a pick before having to match Campbell.
    Last edited by 707; 14th August 2020 at 12:22 AM.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Saad is not moving, chose Essendon when he went back to Melbourne because of it's location near his mosque and family.

After tonight's shock result we're out to pick 3, don't want it to slip much further or we may not get a pick before having to match Campbell.
    We shouldn't slip to lower than pick 5 IMO, we've got some hard games to come against the top 3. I think North Melbourne have a lock on pick 2 because they've also got some hard games to come. Fremantle have an easier fixture, Hawthorn is about the same (and both these sides have a game in hand).

If I was to guess, I would say we get pick 3 or maybe 4.

The picks we need to worry about are the later picks because we will need them to match bids. The picks we still hold will slip in value too. We will probably be looking to trade in some 2nd round and 3rd round picks.

Our current picks: round 1, round 2, round 3 (Brisbane), round 4 (Adelaide), round 5. The round 5 pick currently has no draft points, but may acquire some draft points if enough earlier picks are used to match bids on players. The picks we have are not going to be enough to match both players if they are bid on by about pick 16.

Sydney may be looking for one or two additional picks as insurance.

Possible strategies the Swans may consider:
    * Trade down our first round pick for some later picks. For example, we could trade the early pick (currently pick 3) for the latest two of Geelong's three first round picks (currently picks 16 and 17) plus some swaps of later picks. Heading to the draft with picks 16, 17 and 22 would put us in a very good position to match bids on Campbell and Gulden.
    * Preserve our first round pick and swap second-round or third-round future picks for equivalent picks in this year's draft. This is more speculative, but it is likely that some clubs may want to offload later draft picks they won't be using anyway. Adelaide has seven picks in the first four rounds (R1, R1 (GWS), R2, R2 (WB), R3 (Freo), R3 (Coll), R4 (GCS)), and unless they're looking at a serious list cleanout, they're probably not going to use many after the second round. They may also get additional picks in free agency compensation (Rory Sloane?). If they have surplus picks, they may be interested in trading out the last two picks for our future third-round pick, or a similar trade. They would benefit from a stronger holding in next year's draft, especially with this year's draft being such a lucky dip.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    He can ask all he wants but he’s under contract, for a few years yet. Could be a ploy to get his current contract extended by a year or two with a hefty increase in $$, to cover his presumably modest current salary.
    Not so modest, he's our 6th highest paid player apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The Herald-Sun have published a list of the 100 highest paid players in the AFL. Interesting reading.
    Category: | Herald Sun
    Buddy is our number 1 at close to $1.5m, then Heeney, Parker, Rampe, JPK, Papley, Mills, Lloyd.
    Darcy Moore is on less than Dane Rampe, Daniher on similar $ to Tom Mitchell which is a fair bit less than Parker.

hmmmm

Ruckman experienced if possible
    Emerging Mid value trade ie a Jy Caldwell for pick 30?
    plus our draft picks

Move on Taylor and Grey

Thurlow not sure as only one good game last night

For me i suspect that the AFL will continue trying to speed up the game where ever possible. I suspect we will then see the best remedy as sling shot footy ie stack the to go to areas in defence like the Tigers have done very well for years then burst forward with fast mids / HBFs.........we did this in spades vs GWS

So if this is the case I wouldnt mind adding another mid 21yrs of age or that could be a serious weapon and we can trade for a pick 30s like a Jones trade last year.This is great value and almost like gaining a top 10 pick but ready now

Plan A would be a 24yr old gun mid but very very hard to get unless wanting to leave town

Our backline is deep right now with

AA
    Mills
    Rampe
    Melican
    Thurlow
    Brand
    Oriordan
    Llloyd
    Cunningham
    Fox
    Ling
    Gould

Our Forwards are deep

Paps
    Heeney
    McCartin
    Reid
    Blakey
    Dawson
    Bud
    Wicks
    Taylor
    Ronke
    Foote
    Belly

Mids for me is still not deep enough given Kennedys age and you can never have enough midfield depth and strength

We have the budget to compete against a GWS who will struggle to match contract
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Apparently His management and the Dons are a fair way apart in contract negotiations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Not so modest, he's our 6th highest paid player apparently
    Modest compared to his current market value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Papley is probably the best or second best small forward in the league, and offers something up (and off field too with his charisma) MB.

But hypothetically (because we have no idea what the cap and list sizes will actually be next year) what percentage of the salary cap should be invested by a club in a small forward?

The average for a players pay would be about 2 1/4% of the cap, and we were scheduled to spend 12% of the cap on a single player next season.

Veterans List
    Gray and Lewis Taylor both have contracts for 2021 so they are not moving on.

I doubt we'll do anything dramatic at end of year, pick best available with our first pick, match Campbell and Gulden, hopefully the latter in the second round, takes whatever points deficit we have to for Gulden.

Last I read there are no pure ruckmen in this draft, hopefully Knoll gets fit and shows something, was very good at SANFL level.

Rest of the list will be tinkering I'd reckon depending on what the AFL dishes up by way of list sizes and TPP. All clubs will be nervous about those possible changes.

Veterans List
    Apparently His management and the Dons are a fair way apart in contract negotiations
    Will be smoothed over once JD is off their books

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Would you delist both Ling and Stoddart or just one of them?
    Both, neither will come close to Williams

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Both, neither will come close to Williams
    Fair call, Nostradamus.

Regular in the Side
    Haven't seen enough of Ling but Stoddart has not shown enough fair in his 6 games.