Page 5 of 452 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I was a little bit surprised, that in the last draft, we didn't take an inside mid earlier. So I would think another tough midfielder is still a priority. That being said, I do have a good feeling about Warner, and I am happy with our haul. I also think that Gulden can play above his weight. One quarter of his that really impressed me, was the last quarter of the NEAFL final against Sydney Uni: in which we made a spectacular comeback. One reason for that, was that at centre bounces, as soon as a Sydney Uni player got possession, they were usually driven into the ground by Gulden.

Although this season, I am looking forward to how we use all the pace we have. Hopefully lots of quick, skilful ball movement, that will leave opponents run off their feet.
    Agree re Gulden, hence why I think a bigger midfielder with pace would be a good foil for the current picks as Gulden is not the type to get the ball from a contest and drive away with it.

I saw that game as well and agree that him going into the middle made a big difference. He seems to accumulate a lot of possessions in tight which is often why when I have watched him that I have found it hard to see his impact. Its not until you watch a replay that you see the inside work he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Thanks for the link but it would have been even better if you had posted a clue that it was about Joe Daniher and the possibility that he may not play the first half of the season. Current status is that he has resumed jogging and it is unclear how quickly he will progress from here. However, given how long he has been out, and that he has only just begun jogging, it looks like it will probably still be a while.

I keep feeling grateful we didn't sign him and still feel we offered overs for him to Essendon, even though I am still in favour of recruiting him for the right price if we have good reason to believe he will play a fair bit and have a contract designed to protect us if he doesn't. Currently it's looking pretty unclear whether that is ever going to happen.

Conversely, news that Jordan De Goey is changing his manager (Twist in the tale after superstar Pie's shock split with manager) may suggest there is going to be a real bidding process for him and so if the Pies do hang on to him, there may be an opportunity to grab Moore. Not sure if we need Moore though (depends on how Aliir, Brand, Melican, Maibaum, Gould, McLean et al perform) and we might be better to save our $$ for an A grade onballer.

Just one opinion (on Joe Daniher): Why Joe Daniher injury woes should not deter Swans .

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Just one opinion (on Joe Daniher): Why Joe Daniher injury woes should not deter Swans .
    From Dwayne Russell , yuck. I reckon half these blokes say we should get JD because they want it blow up in our face. Russell surely hasn’t got our best interests at heart , bloke can barely contain his contempt for the swans when he commentates our games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    From Dwayne Russell , yuck. I reckon half these blokes say we should get JD because they want it blow up in our face. Russell surely hasn’t got our best interests at heart , bloke can barely contain his contempt for the swans when he commentates our games.

Russell has always dramatized everything. Full of p..s and wind.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Dwayne makes some fair points re: he'd now be cheap to obtain and the Daniher/Swans historic connection but fails to factor in 'he's a potential crock!' and that once we obtain him, his contract won't be cheap.....for a potential, no make that likely, crock!

My main concern with Daniher is if he is on a big long term contract, it may affect our ability to re-sign other players.

If a few of our younger players have good seasons, then they might attract more interest and larger offers from other clubs. And we may have to prioritise which of our current players we want to keep.

Not fresh, but check out this exciting footage of 2020 draft prospect Braeden Campbell on his way to winning best on ground in the u17 curtain raiser for the granny: Braeden Campbell - U17's Team Brown VS Team Dal Santo Highlights - YouTube. And here's an article about the same match touting Elijah Hollands as the possible 2020 #1 pick: Future Swan stars in Grand Final curtain-raiser.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    My main concern with Daniher is if he is on a big long term contract, it may affect our ability to re-sign other players.

If a few of our younger players have good seasons, then they might attract more interest and larger offers from other clubs. And we may have to prioritise which of our current players we want to keep.
    Yes I would love Daniher in the red and white though I am weary of big contract players, having seen the effects that first Tippett, then Franklin's have had on our list. Both were good signings for us but they ultimately played a part in us losing a few quality players that really could've helped us in recent years.

I am hoping that we have learned that it's better to have a champion team than a team of champions, and we don't need one superstar hogging a large portion of the salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Not fresh, but check out this exciting footage of 2020 draft prospect Braeden Campbell on his way to winning best on ground in the u17 curtain raiser for the granny: Braeden Campbell - U17's Team Brown VS Team Dal Santo Highlights - YouTube. And here's an article about the same match touting Elijah Hollands as the possible 2020 #1 pick: Future Swan stars in Grand Final curtain-raiser.
    Thanks for this, Wow! First I’ve really seen of him, he certainly looks like something special !

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Yes I would love Daniher in the red and white though I am weary of big contract players, having seen the effects that first Tippett, then Franklin's have had on our list. Both were good signings for us but they ultimately played a part in us losing a few quality players that really could've helped us in recent years.

I am hoping that we have learned that it's better to have a champion team than a team of champions, and we don't need one superstar hogging a large portion of the salary cap.
    It could be argued that recruiting Tippett and Buddy has actually lessened our potential Premiership count to this point.....the AFL have certainly made life hard for us since 2014 with the trade ban and dodgy umpiring in virtually every home and away game and the two GF's we have lost since then were seriously compromised by match day officialdom, esp. 2016 (well documented of course).

I love Bud (and Tip) and totally back the club in recruiting them....but I can't help but think that due to this league's pettiness, we have paid an even higher price.

You're last sentence evokes 2005..... a champion team of never say die players. That's the Bloods way.....but back then the footy world loved us. They don't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post

O., the Tippert factor ! Once Bitten .