Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 20 of 20

Thread: Swans personnel

  1. #13
    In this interview Ross Monaghan explains the different roles of the various recruiters and list managers: Ross in the hot seat chatting all things recruiting. These are the key bits:

    Kinnear Beatson: General Manager – Recruiting and List Strategy
    “Kinnear looks after all things to do with the current list and what’s coming up in the future in terms of recruitment.”

    Simon Dalrymple: National Recruiting Manager
    “Simon’s job is to assess the pool of players for each year’s draft, so the players turning 18 who are available.”

    Chris Keane: Senior Recruiting Analyst
    “Chris essentially analyses data, looking at GPS data, sifting through statistical data and helping us with player rankings and assessment of players.”

    Ross Monaghan: Future Recruiting Coordinator

    “Probably 60 per cent of my role is looking at future drafts, so I’m typically one or two drafts ahead. Early in the year I’m looking at 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds who are aiming for the 2021 and 2022 drafts. We’ve got a good handle on what’s coming up and try to project one or two years ahead. You can’t always get that 100 per cent right of course, but you get it as right as you can and make sure we have valuable information on prospects coming through, even though they’re still pretty young and things can change a lot. Then later in the year I also assist with looking at the top-age players. We try to find out as much as we can about potential draftees.”



    Our head Physio is Matt Cameron. I think he's been with us a fair while.

    Rob Spurrs is in charge of fitness/training stuff.

    Athlete Support Services Manager (no idea what they do) - Josh Elliot

  2. #14
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Close to the old Lake Oval
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    In this interview Ross Monaghan explains the different roles of the various recruiters and list managers: Ross in the hot seat chatting all things recruiting. These are the key bits:

    Kinnear Beatson: General Manager – Recruiting and List Strategy
    “Kinnear looks after all things to do with the current list and what’s coming up in the future in terms of recruitment.”

    Simon Dalrymple: National Recruiting Manager
    “Simon’s job is to assess the pool of players for each year’s draft, so the players turning 18 who are available.”

    Chris Keane: Senior Recruiting Analyst
    “Chris essentially analyses data, looking at GPS data, sifting through statistical data and helping us with player rankings and assessment of players.”

    Ross Monaghan: Future Recruiting Coordinator

    “Probably 60 per cent of my role is looking at future drafts, so I’m typically one or two drafts ahead. Early in the year I’m looking at 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds who are aiming for the 2021 and 2022 drafts. We’ve got a good handle on what’s coming up and try to project one or two years ahead. You can’t always get that 100 per cent right of course, but you get it as right as you can and make sure we have valuable information on prospects coming through, even though they’re still pretty young and things can change a lot. Then later in the year I also assist with looking at the top-age players. We try to find out as much as we can about potential draftees.”



    Our head Physio is Matt Cameron. I think he's been with us a fair while.

    Rob Spurrs is in charge of fitness/training stuff.

    Athlete Support Services Manager (no idea what they do) - Josh Elliot
    4 people in recruiting seems a lot, especially if they are full time. shades of Utopia!

  3. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocker View Post
    I can't seem to find a definite answer to the current ownership of the Swans. Can anyone tell me if point me in the right direction?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    4 people in recruiting seems a lot, especially if they are full time. shades of Utopia!
    I don't even think that's the whole of it. I think there are numerous part-time scouts on the ground in various States, quite apart from harvesting intel about promising talent from contacts across the industry.

    Incidentally, Charlie Gardiner confirmed to me (in response to my question) that as Head of Football, Kinnear reports to him and that he (Charlie) is ultimately responsible for all list management and recruiting decisions.

  4. #16
    Matt Cameron, our head physiotherapist, has departed. Not sure why or where he's gone. More importanly, not sure who is replacing him. It's a very important role for the club. If anyone knows, please update.

    Dennis Carroll has also gone - retired? Victim of pandemic downsizing? It seems the role has been replaced by Brett Kirk. Dennis was called our 'Executive General Manager - People', whereas Brett is called Head of Wellbeing and Development: see bottom of this https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/833576/mathews-returns-to-sydney. I suspect there is a lot of overlap in the roles and the different titles reflect their seniority and position in the hierarchy, as well as just social trends about job titles. There are probably also some differences in the specifics of what they are/were each responsible for based on their skills and interests and the club's needs.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  5. #17
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    5,589
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Matt Cameron, our head physiotherapist, has departed. Not sure why or where he's gone. More importanly, not sure who is replacing him. It's a very important role for the club. If anyone knows, please update.

    Dennis Carroll has also gone - retired? Victim of pandemic downsizing? It seems the role has been replaced by Brett Kirk. Dennis was called our 'Executive General Manager - People', whereas Brett is called Head of Wellbeing and Development: see bottom of this https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/833576/mathews-returns-to-sydney. I suspect there is a lot of overlap in the roles and the different titles reflect their seniority and position in the hierarchy, as well as just social trends about job titles. There are probably also some differences in the specifics of what they are/were each responsible for based on their skills and interests and the club's needs.
    A new start on the physio side might not be a bad thing given the way our injuries have been in recent seasons.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  6. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    4 people in recruiting seems a lot, especially if they are full time. shades of Utopia!
    Especially when you look at our recent trade and draft history. Trevor, the intern from marketing could have done a better job.

  7. #19
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Especially when you look at our recent trade and draft history. Trevor, the intern from marketing could have done a better job.
    2018 Blakey- gun, Rowbottom - gun McInerny - gun
    2017 Ling - inj, Stoddard - fail, McCartin - gun
    2016 Florent - gun, Hayward - gun

  8. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    2018 Blakey- gun, Rowbottom - gun McInerny - gun
    2017 Ling - inj, Stoddard - fail, McCartin - gun
    2016 Florent - gun, Hayward - gun
    I don’t agree that any of your players listed are genuine guns. But they are good players who would happily be picked up by almost any other team.

    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Especially when you look at our recent trade and draft history. Trevor, the intern from marketing could have done a better job.
    To say our recruiters are hopeless, however, is just wrong. Trading perhaps questionable (but even then, I’d say 2020 won’t have given supporters a genuine indication of where the guys we traded in are at, as they had no time in the the NEAFL to hone their skills and learn our gamestyle when they were given the opportunity to play).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO